Quantcast

What's fermenting now?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
white ale still isn't quite fully carbonated, even though its been bottled for 4 weeks now. I think I left it in secondary a little too long.

Bottling my double ipa and my tripel this weekend (if my corker shows up in time).

Ordered next 3 batches of ingredients (which will show up with the corker):

-blueberry wheat (will brew this weekend if it arrives)
-barleywine
-dark belgian strong ale

blueberry wheat will be ready for an awesome late summer beer. belgian dark will make a good fall beer.

looking ahead to winter, i'm thinking a spiced ale, a winter warmer, and an oatmeal stout. considering doing something for fall as well once the blueberry is done.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Right now I have the following:

British Dark Brown Ale - Bottled (5 two liter bottles worth)
Arnold's Bastard (Cali light brow ale) - 5g in secondary and 1 case left in bottles
Belgian Peachy wheat - 5g in Secondary
Belgian Wheat (same as above but w/o peaches) - Secondary

My wheat was a 10g batch that I split into two buckets. One had about 5lbs of organic home-grown peaches added to secondary for about a week.

My wheat batch was pretty simple...
10lbs wheat
11lbs american 2-row
1lb honey

2oz Centennial- 60min
2oz Centennial - 15min

OG 1.065
10g batch

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm doing two, one gallon/pound of grain tests today.

One with my regular crushed grain and one with grain I turned into flour w/ the coffee grinder. I got a new thermometer too, I think I've been mashing/doughing in way too high.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
bottled two batches on sunday:

-Double IPA: can't remember FG off the top of my head, but it's 9.2% abv
-Tripel: again' can't remember FG, but was 8.6% abv

both smell and taste delicious, considering they were warm and flat.

brewed up a wheat beer last night, OG was 1.048. Gonna get turned into a blueberry wheat beer.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I have a hard time in general hitting my OG. I really need to figure out why my efficiency is so bad.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Brewed a barleywine yesterday. Og 1.086. Holy smokes is this fermenting fast. Woke up around 5 am because the cats were causing a ruckus. Checked the beer, blew out the airlock. Had to swap it out for a blow off tube.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Brewed a barleywine yesterday. Og 1.086. Holy smokes is this fermenting fast. Woke up around 5 am because the cats were causing a ruckus. Checked the beer, blew out the airlock. Had to swap it out for a blow off tube.
fermentation has finally calmed/slowed down some, and I have resumed using a normal airlock.

anyone else here ever brew a barleywine?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Are you guys doing a step mash? Wheat malts never seem to be as well modified as barley so they benefit from a protein rest.
I am not. but even with my 'normal' ales I get really bad efficiency. I am buying a grain mill so I can control the crush and I'm starting to add stuff to my water so I can start trying to get better eff.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
If I had a second bathtub i'd give that a shot to try, but I think showering with two carboys in the tub could get tricky. :cheers:

The home depot tub with water sounds like a good idea, but I think just having a freezer thrown somewhere would look better than a tupperware tub full of water (not that I really care). I figure for around $100 I can have a freezer and controller, keep things exactly how I want it all the time and not have to mess with a bunch of water splashing around. We'll see what happens.

haha... splashing... there is no splashing involved. Though I HAVE been tempted to take a bath in beer before. Maybe even bring my little rubber ducky in there with me.

The freezer IS more precise. Don't get me wrong. But the tupperware is maybe 1/10 the price and uses no electricity.
:thumb:

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I always have a hard time with wheat, my OG never seems to be able to match the calculated numbers.
\
What temp did you mash at? I did my most recent one at 165 and got a great efficiency... well decent at least. About 78%...

Maybe the wheat has more of the enzymes that are active at higher temps?

Edit: Or this of course...
Are you guys doing a step mash? Wheat malts never seem to be as well modified as barley so they benefit from a protein rest.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Just brewed up a Blonde.

9# 2 row
1.5 ounces of Amarillo
Nottingham.

I measured my water with a two cup measuring cup for accuracy. I must have had more boil off then normal. Ended up with just over 4 gallons and 1.049 as an OG.

that's about 60% efficiency. WTF!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Where are all the brewers?

Brewed up another blonde/pale yesterday. Pretty much the same recipe as above. I used different hops though.

I crushed the grain into almost flour and still only got 63% efficiency. Not real happy with that but I'll have to live w/ it. I ended up w/ an OG of 1.054

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I was up in Mammoth over the weekend and we stopped in at Mammoth Brewing Co for a few tastings.

I was asking some questions in an attempt to determine how to copy a few of their brews. At one point the guy I was asking went and referred to a "sheet" so I asked if I could see it. I then started to copy down some stuff on their "double nut brown" and he said, "Would it be easier if I just photocopied this for you?"

HECK YEAH!!

The grain bills were easy enough. Obviously they din't have weights (since their batches are way bigger than mine), but they did have %'s. For the hops though, they had the name and the time, and an overall IBU caculation, but they didn't note it for each individual one, so I don't know the ratios of the various hops. Still, I'm sure I could get them pretty close.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
So BREWERS...
Tell me this, what % of the beer you drink (at home) is yours?
I brewed up 3 10g batches back in May/late April and I haven't had to buy any beer since. Really helped out the wallet, that is for sure.

IMO, if I have some version of each of the following on hand at all times I have something so suit every mood:
-Dark Brown ale/porter (not too hoppy, lots of coffee/chocolate malty taste about 5.5%)
-California style micro-brew (not quite an IPA in bitterness, but more like um... like an Arrogant Bastard but slightly less hops and slightly lower ABV (about 6.5% - 7%)
-Wheat/heffe (I like mine slightly stronger than a typical one... more in the 6% range)

It would be nice to add a Belgain Saison to the mix though.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I dont buy beer for the house unless i pick up something special.

Currently i have a dry hopped blonde, a stout, an amber, an american wheat in kegs.

Today i cooked up a porter ish style beer.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Getting ready to keg a split temp. yeast trial I did for the boss. He wants a dubbel that's got some pepper in the yeast character for his wedding. I picked up some Wyeast 3538-PC Leuven Pale Ale Yeast and fermented half the batch at 62 and the rest at 75. Both temps fermented well. OG was 16.5P (1.068). 62 finished at 2P (~1.008) and 75 finished at 1.7P (~1.007). 62 smelled fruity/sweet and had nice peppery notes and some bubblegum in the flavor. 75 smelled peppery and the flavor was almost all pepper. Next up is a recipe trial with the same yeast. I'll see what he thinks, but I'm all for the cooler fermentation. I'm thinking of going kind of traditional with the recipe: European pale malt, some aromatic or melanoidin malt, and dark candy syrup in the boil. I'll let you know how it turns out.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
'bout to brew my first batch in long time.
Man, this summer has been schitzo. About to move AGAIN....for the 3rd time this summer. Damn I have spent a **** ton on beer during the last 3 months....fk...I have needed every last drop.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
brewed a hodge podge of grains & hops yesterday. gonna be good i think.
we will see in 3 weeks.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
five gallons of pale ale was cooked up yesterday. I need to drill a 7/8th inch hole in my keg so I can start doing 10 gallon batches...

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Turns out the yeast I used was bunk. I tried two other packets of the same yeast (notty) and both were junk as well. So I pitched some Windsor. It was bubbling away the next moring....

I don't have high hops for this beer.

On the other hand...

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Cooked up another pale. Next time i brew ill be doing ten gallons...

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Turkey burner and 30qt pot shipped today from Amazon. Looking around for a chest freezer on CL next week once I get back from Boston. Time to start brewin' again (All Grain), ran out of my IPA and Pale Ales :(

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
shopping for a beer fridge right now. waiting on that before i keg my latest brew. Need to dry hop it soon though cuz i hope to keg by the weekend.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
well, didn't get my ten gallon kettle ready so I did 4.5 gallons of Brown Ale today.

Kegged the pale that I mentioned brewing in my last post.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
I just started some Apfelwein thats bubbling away. As my first "brew", looking forward to trying it out in a about a month.

Also got a kit and all the ingredients for an IPA (extract), hoping to brew this weekend. Any tips for a complete newb?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
noobs should go to homebrewtalk.com
while you're there, get into the chat and tell 'em you ride a bike (seriously). :)

*I live in chat most days on that site... ;)*

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Fermenting now: a Cascadian Dark Ale. Black IPA. Bought it as a kit from a local store here, and was under the impression that it was a recipe they created. Then I found a nearly IDENTICAL recipe for a clone of Widmer Brewing's W-10 Pitch Black IPA, which I think I've had and I think I liked, so I'm pumped about that but am looing forward to mayhaps personalizing the recipe a touch in the future. Brew went smooth, managed to NOT boil this one over. 2nd brew ever, just signed up for HomebrewTalk.com and will be checking that out a bit more.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Brewing again today..

8# 2-row
.5# Cherry Smoked Malt (this stuff smells AMAZING!)

maybe throw in some chocolate malt for color, not real sure.
BEER!