Quantcast

What's a "big month" riding wise to you?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Been trying to get back in shape (again) for when some of the members of TFK show up out here in April to go ride Sedona for a few days. Last year's showing in Moab was not my best.

December I rode 49 all mountain, all dirt, miles.
January pushed out to 107. No pavement.
For February I am up at 20 now. Planning on doing 150 this month.

What's a "big month" for you? Is my 107 not much to shake a stick at?

I remember when I rode road a big month was 300, but there's just no good place to do such things here in Phoenix.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Miles just don't mean that much. In Bend, you can be pretty out of shape and still ride 50 miles in a weekend. If you climb and descend 3000 feet in 10 miles than that can be a pretty brutal day. When I am trying to get back in shape, the number of days I get off my a$$ is the most important measure

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yeah I don't go by miles either, just hours. An average rail ride is around two hours and four to five times a week. Last year I rode one hundred fifty-six times and only got to ride five times in December due to illness.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
My average ride is right around 1.5 hours, and I am up to four days a week. I am pretty happy with this as I am noticing I am doing rides faster, going future, and am able to maintain higher gears the whole time.

Trail Ninja

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Vancouver Island
I get in 2-4 hours pretty much every day. I couldn't begin to guess how many miles that is. The terrain I ride varies so much. I would guess that up the downhill race course would only be a couple of miles an hour. There's some pretty easy singletrack that I ride that I know I can do close to 20 miles an hour.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I usually get 20k per day, 4 days a week, commuting, and maybe a good long weekend dirt ride of 40k...you stack up well compared to my #s.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
26 days a month is a big month for me, with the average being 20-22 days. I don't track miles anymore since I switch between my road, cross, and mountain bike too often. That, and it'll make you crazy.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I stopped keeping track of mileage a couple years ago. I could ride my local trails in Clemson and get a 25-30 mile ride in 2-2.5 hours, then I'd go up to Pisgah and 25 miles would take an entire day.

Ride Monzie

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Killafornia
I go by mileage and hours ridden. I don own a car so I have to ride to the trail head. Nine miles to the trailhead, one mile connector trail, mile of road to the next trailhead, six mile trail, then, depending on my mood either a ten mile easy trail or 15mi advanced trail, if I have the legs, three mile trail back to the start of the six mile trail (take the shortcuts in the six miler backwards), mile to connector trail, one mile connector trail backwards, nine miles home. This takes me 3.5-4hrs. I do it on Saturday and Sunday weather permitting. Sometimes I'll do two laps at the easy ten mile trail. A long month would be anything additional to this being thrown in.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
ragley01.JPG

bought myself a garmin for Kwanzaa this year because I needed some different motivation for training and I'm a goal oriented person. I plan to ride the Warrior's Society vision quest route sometime in April which is 56miles and 12k' of climbing. So far this year I've had 13 rides, 44k' of climbing, 37 hours on the bike in 350 miles of pedaling, all on my 1x9 (32x34 low gearing), 31lb Ragley blue pig. Getting ready for some road trips this spring, plan to do mostly Enduro/AM style riding and let the DH bike collect some dust till summer, Plan on riding Phoenix/Sedona/Tuscon in the next couple months.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
a big month, downhill wise... is about 160 miles, or 50k+ of vertical in a month.
a big month, cycling wise (including the 15-20 miles of night city riding on wednesday) would be over 200 miles.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
My biggest months were when I was commuting to work and riding during lunch. Those were probably in the 250-275 mile range. It was all on my mountain bike, but a large chunk was ridden on the rode.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I try to get at least one ride a week, which isn't much compared to a lot on here. 10-15 miles per ride. I end up riding more during summer since I ride easy loops with guys after work. I use Strava to keep track of miles and elevation. It's nice to just have benchmarks and be able to compare the same rides.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
This.

I've been contacted by the Kiwis again for a Spring trip out West. Should be posting something up soon but I'll need more input since I've only ridden Moab and I don't live out there.

Looking like CO, UT, AZ trails right now.

Last edited: