Quantcast

what would you buy with $43,000.00?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Is that your knee or your elbow? My knee looked like that but I also had a 1/2" dia x 12" rod in my Femur. It's even more fun coming out. ;)
Heal up.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
buildyourown said:
Is that your knee or your elbow? My knee looked like that but I also had a 1/2" dia x 12" rod in my Femur. It's even more fun coming out. ;)
Heal up.
elbow.

yeah, remind me not to break my femur. actually, remind me never to break anything again.

tell me the story of your knee. i like hearing about other people's pain for a change.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
RideND said:
BTW, how is the progression? Are you out of the machine thing? Can you do anything with it?
I am mostly out of the machine. I can get 100 degrees of flexion. I get to start PT in 2 weeks.

I have a large supply of hydrocodone
:devil:

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
bomberz1qr20 said:
Careful, that stuff will give you the blues.
yep...

but between the blues and searing pain a man's gotta choose the blues. i have managed to limit my dosage to 30 mg / day (still a lot)

i think i'll feel better when i start working out again.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
elbow.

yeah, remind me not to break my femur. actually, remind me never to break anything again.

tell me the story of your knee. i like hearing about other people's pain for a change.

Well, you asked, so here is goes.
Fell asleep behind the wheel of a toyota and ran head on into a tour bus.
Dash crushed in and folded my femur 180 deg and crushed my knee in about 4 pieces. Also tore my PCL and LCL. Clutch took out my foot and big toe.
Big ole rod in femur, 13 screws and a plate in the knee. It looks like you beat me on the screw count. Add in about 60-70 sq in of skin grafts. 3 weeks in traction. 6 months on crutches.

On a good note, this is how I got REALLY into biking. Because I couldn't do anything else. Since I can't hike or ski very well, mtn biking is one of the only ways I can still enjoy the outdoors. It's amazing what your body can learn to deal with.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
buildyourown said:
Well, you asked, so here is goes.
Fell asleep behind the wheel of a toyota and ran head on into a tour bus.
Dash crushed in and folded my femur 180 deg and crushed my knee in about 4 pieces. Also tore my PCL and LCL. Clutch took out my foot and big toe.
Big ole rod in femur, 13 screws and a plate in the knee. It looks like you beat me on the screw count. Add in about 60-70 sq in of skin grafts. 3 weeks in traction. 6 months on crutches.

On a good note, this is how I got REALLY into biking. Because I couldn't do anything else. Since I can't hike or ski very well, mtn biking is one of the only ways I can still enjoy the outdoors. It's amazing what your body can learn to deal with.
d a m n. you win.

What was it like to get woken up by having your body pulverized?

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Brian HCM#1 said:
An Official Red Rider BB gun............................Lots of them
why do you want one of those? you'll shoot your eye out kid!

I'd use that fat cash for a down payment on a pimpdaddysupreme pad down in Santa Monica, so when I troll for honeys down by the beach, I'd have a killer stabbin cabin to take them home to....

it would also be nice to have a garage where I could store my quiver of bikes - oh yeah, I'd by an Evil Sovereign with some of that cash if they ever became available....

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
Depends on the mood. Education and/or investing it is usually a good bet but if you've got that covered and it's just money to blow, travel and lots of it. Material things get old and there's always something new and improved but it's hard to take away the experiences and memories in being out there.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
the joint is still au naturale. remarkably the cartelige didn't get jacked much at all
Thats lucky. My knee surgeon said that the cartilidge is the most important part. Everything moves on it, and once its dunn, its dunn.

How the hell did you do that? Was that $43,000 as in medical bills, or settlement/lawsuit?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
$43k is nothing. Mine was over $300k. I think I cleared 50k in the first 30min with the helicopter flight and the extraction.

The one time I get to fly in a chopper and I can't even remember it. :angry:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
who would sue me?

it took 8 hours of surgery to put me back together. that costs a bunch o money
I was thinking the other way around. Like you were riding a bike and a car hit you. But $43K seems low for what you've been through.

Was that from a bike crash? Kinda looks that way. Sports related anyways.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Acadian said:
do you want a $50,000+ foot to go with dat?
Counting my stay in the hospital last summer after my first seizure, the problems with my head have just passed 30k and I haven't even had any surgery yet. Thank God for insurance!!!

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
lol...

43k hmmmm....i would build an insane track car

probably build a super light kit car minus tranny and engine...throw in either a 4g63(evolution motor) or try and get my hands on a rb26dett motor(skyline motor).

just think, a 1500 pound 400 hp all wheel drive track car....bounce biatch!

will probably have some money left over, in that case i will buy alot of icecream

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stoney98 said:
My recent overnight stint in the ER due to my badly bruised/cracked ribs, grand total:
$30,000.00

Not bad for 18 hours!
I work for Kaiser Permanente (Big HMO type company in Cali) I could have a heart transplant and all it costs is 5 bucks. :)

I would invest it all for a couple of years till I had built up a good amount of phuk you money then call work and say F-U, I'm outta here!

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
start a retirement fund with 20k.
build up a 27lb 5 spot, some sort of dh/fr bike (canfield with avy front and rear? :drool: ), then spend like 10 grand on a truck or car and have a grand or two to make the coming year more fun. i'd also blow 700 or so in a night and take a dozen friends out for dinner and drinks

mrlien

Chimp
Jun 24, 2004
Norway
I would buy Dainese protection gear for 2 K and save the
rest for laboratory equipment or hookers :nope: or something...

I live in Norway and we have free medical care.

If I lived in USA I think I would have used the rest of the
money on insurance.

Good luck with your recovery, PT sucks, but it is worth it!

8it

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
NYC
I hurt my pinky once, biking, (true story) and I was the biggest baby for a few weeks while my pinky healed. Everyone was sick of me after a few weeks, especially my finance. I can't imagine going through what you guys did, heal up quickly and get out and ride guys!
And oh with $43,000 I would travel the land like Caine from Kung FU and get into adventures and sh*t

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
buildyourown said:
Stop it with the bragging! I have "insurance" and a doctor's visit still costs me a hundred bucks. :mumble:
Our country has f'ed up priorities.
Ahh, sounds like you "opted" for the "Insure you don't go to the doctor without somthing really boken" plan.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
wirly said:
Ahh, sounds like you "opted" for the "Insure you don't go to the doctor without somthing really boken" plan.
That sounds like my plan by I wouldn't say I "opted" for it. What other choice do I have? The sad part is, I could go on welfare and get better insurance.

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
I figured, thus the quotes around opted. I think it's just insurance speak for the "choice" between paying for option A (a lot) or option B (even more). I'm so glad my work has a good coverage plan (though it took a week to get a cast on my arm once I got an X-ray showing it was fractured) :nuts: