Quantcast

What to do...?

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Ok, I'm in need of a bit of help as to what I should do at the end of this season.

Right now, I'm riding a Balfa and since balfa is being killed off next year, I'm thinking I shouldn't keep it for too long. If I sell it this year, its value will be higher, thus giving me a little more leverage towards a new bike. I've got several options:

-Sell the frame, buy a frame, use the old parts
-Sell the entire bike, buy a new bike

Now, recently, I've been sponsored (if you can call it that) by Soul Cycles. I want to build up a hardtail. I'm horribly un-smooth as it is now, and I feel it would help a lot in my riding, but that means I'll have to spend money now, which leads to less money towards a new DH bike next season.

This sponsorship gives me discounts on many parts and I would like to use it to get the parts for the new DH bike, but to get the parts I have to get one of their frames (which isn't a big expense, but I don't have the money right now to get all of the parts for a hardtail as well as a dh bike.) At this point, I would like to get one of their hardtails soon, seeing how I can get an extra discount due to their 2004 closeout.

Basically:

-Balfa being killed off = selling balfa bike
-Selling Balfa = getting new bike (looking at a vp-free)
-Sponsorship = cheap parts
-getting cheap parts = getting a hardtail frame
-getting cheap parts for a DH bike and a hardtail = relatively large expense
-Relatively large expense = hard to get for an un-employed fifteen-year-old

Ok, now with that fairly clear, I basically need to get a hardtail in order to get a new DH bike for a large discount. I really don't HAVE to get an entire hardtail, I just have to order the frame in order to get parts, but this means that I'll have to buy parts for the hardtail at full price later on. It would be easiest and cheapest to get everything all at once, but that's still a lot of money at once, and for an un-employed fifteen-year-old that's not easy.

:help:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Time to get a job. :)

I am not really joking...just not meaning it to come off like I am being an ass.

You have an expensive hobby and need to work to pay for it. It isn't a sin to work to afford your hobby. May I suggest lawn mowing, bark spreading, gutter cleaning, weeding (I hate weeding :) ) any labor jobs to get you your money at 15yo.

Being unemployed because you are 15 is no reason not to work.....doing small jobs allows you to structure working the job and riding with your friends/going to races. I wouls suggest that over delivering papers (ugh! nasty job)

I know around here kids get paid NICELY for a lawn mowing. Get 5 houses together that you mow 1-2 times a week and make 100-200 for two afternoons work. Lots of time to play and still pay for the bikes.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Thanks for the advice, but it's a bit harder than that. Since I live in a "higher-end" neighborhood, just about everyone has a professional lawn service, window washing service, etc. Mowing lawns here would be awesome, but it's not really an option at this point, save for mowing my own lawn and my grandparents' lawn. I would try to extend beyond the neighborhood, but I don't have any way to transport the equipment. I actually have a summer job lined up, but it'll take a lot of time out of my day, when I could be riding... I guess give a little, take a little. I guess I've kind of figured it out now. Sorry for having to read my long-ass complaint :D. I just had to put my thoughts down.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Bldr_Freerider said:
Thanks for the advice, but it's a bit harder than that. Since I live in a "higher-end" neighborhood, just about everyone has a professional lawn service, window washing service, etc. Mowing lawns here would be awesome, but it's not really an option at this point, save for mowing my own lawn and my grandparents' lawn. I would try to extend beyond the neighborhood, but I don't have any way to transport the equipment. I actually have a summer job lined up, but it'll take a lot of time out of my day, when I could be riding... I guess give a little, take a little. I guess I've kind of figured it out now. Sorry for having to read my long-ass complaint :D. I just had to put my thoughts down.
HIgh end neighborhoods are the best! They pay more anyway. :D

Other jobs they might need done and a local kid willing to work can get you some word of mouth jobs in the neighborhood......go out and pound the pavement.

NOthing wrong with dragging a lawnmower (as long as your parents approve) outside your nieghborhood....heck tie a rope and drag it like a trailer. haha. When I mowed lawas they were mostly within 1/4 -1/2 mile away....I had up to 8 I think steady weekly/biweekly jobs and that money was good back then.....ahh them were the days.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
you can't slack and consume....so you should consider buying a used race bmx. there's nothing better if you want to get that technique. if you're realy into a hardtail you can keep your dh and use its parts as much as you can on both frames.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
To be honest, I think it is lame to abuse Soul Cycles "sponsorship" policy to get cheap parts, If that's what you were suggesting. They are trying to help riders out and to get their frames out there they are willing to pass on deals to guys like you and me on parts. So if you are taking the deal on parts I would hope that in return you uphold your half of the "sponsorship" and promote Soul Cycles to the fullest, otherwise I wish you luck in finding "sponsors" in the future. As long as you plan to keep the hardtail for at least a season and seeing as Soul Cycles doesn't offer a DH bike, then I don't see anything wrong with your plan, but if you sell the hardtail and keep parts...not cool.

punkassean said:
To be honest, I think it is lame to abuse Soul Cycles "sponsorship" policy to get cheap parts, If that's what you were suggesting. They are trying to help riders out and to get their frames out there they are willing to pass on deals to guys like you and me on parts. So if you are taking the deal on parts I would hope that in return you uphold your half of the "sponsorship" and promote Soul Cycles to the fullest, otherwise I wish you luck in finding "sponsors" in the future. As long as you plan to keep the hardtail for at least a season and seeing as Soul Cycles doesn't offer a DH bike, then I don't see anything wrong with your plan, but if you sell the hardtail and keep parts...not cool.
WORD!!!!

i hope SoulCycles discontinues this plan soon, every pouser and his brother has already begun to abuse this "sponsorship".....

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
MMcG said:
Just keep rockin the 2Step DH yosei!
helll yeah, this hole thing with balfa reminds me of how everybody ran and bought new computers before the new millenium...
nothing happend then and its unlogical to buy a company just to shut it down. they are probably just moving the production to procycles factory.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
punkassean said:
To be honest, I think it is lame to abuse Soul Cycles "sponsorship" policy to get cheap parts, If that's what you were suggesting.
:nope:
Un-cool to say the least… and possibly a bad financial move too. Is the price of buying a HT frame really going to offset the price of the parts for the DH?

Bldr_Freerider said:
Right now, I'm riding a Balfa and since balfa is being killed off next year, I'm thinking I shouldn't keep it for too long. If I sell it this year, its value will be higher, thus giving me a little more leverage towards a new bike.
You may already be a little late. Look at the Buy/Sell board, 6 months ago I barely saw a single Balfa on it (I was looking to pick one up) – now there are 6 or more. Most of them have been posted since the announcement… end of the season that thing may not be worth the price of it’s components (supply and demand, not b/c it’s not a kick ass bike!).

Just one opinion…

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Balfa will be around just like GT/Schwinn/Cannondale are still around in one way or another. I'm sure of this because of the popularity of their bikes. The name can be sold for good $ even if the company hasn't been profitable in the past.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I agree WestCoast, despite that fact that I inadvertantly brought upon the phenomenon to mtbr. :mumble:, atleast its good advertisement for them. ;) Anyways, Yosei I think if you really want to get a new dh bike before balfa goes under, then now would be the time to do it. I say, if you are looking to sell your 2Step frame and use a lot of your old parts on a new dh frame, that would be a good idea, but otherwise, since SoulCycles does not have a dh frame, you might as well buy their hardtail frame, then get a dh frame or bike for you to build up or upgrade with your discounts. Just as long as you dont be a lame ass and sell your Titan frame once you get it. (I already have mine and plan on building it up soon. :D) Good luck dude.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
I just want to point out that I did not mention selling the HT frame. I agree, it would be wrong to sell it just for the benefit of cheap parts. I'm trying to work out how I can build both a HT and a DH bike. I'm still trying to decide what to do...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Bldr_Freerider said:
I just want to point out that I did not mention selling the HT frame. I agree, it would be wrong to sell it just for the benefit of cheap parts. I'm trying to work out how I can build both a HT and a DH bike. I'm still trying to decide what to do...

Keep rockin the Balfa and build up a sweet Titan and ride the crap out of that too Yosei! You'll then have the best of both worlds. A Hardtail for urban, freeride, DH hardtailing, and maybe even trail riding if the seat post can be raised high enough. Then you'll have the 2Step DH for freeriding, Dhing and even some agggressive trail riding (or as some peeps around these parts are now calling it "CrossStuntry!") :)

It is not like your 2Step DH is going to disintegrate and crumble into a million pieces or anything. You seem to really love the bike - it is built hella strong and it'll last and last bro! If you need new linkage plates or other such parts, Procycle will have them for you. Hell you can even contact me and I can get em for you if need be. That's one burly arsed frame you bought from me and it'll hold up for many more years bro. Unless you grow like a weed or something and the bike becomes too small for you - it'll serve you well my friend! :cool:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I wasn't sure if you were kind of insinuating that you wanted to sell the hardtail after a short period of time or what? Anyway, no harm no foul. I checked out the Soul Cycles website again because of this thread and I just can't help but want to pinch myself. Those frames look great and the prices are unbelievable. Also the text is well written and by a seemingly intelligent/knowledgable person(s). I am pondering purchasing one of their CX frames when they become available or maybe even the more XC oriented hardtail (forgot the name?) Once you get the hardtail, post up some pics and let us all know what you think of it!

-Good Luck!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
punkassean said:
I checked out the Soul Cycles website again because of this thread and I just can't help but want to pinch myself. Those frames look great and the prices are unbelievable. Also the text is well written and by a seemingly intelligent/knowledgable person(s).
:stupid:
I'm looking at the Titan... might order it today! :cool: