Quantcast

What to do with bent spoke

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
So i noticed today that one of my front spokes is bent:disgust: I was just wondering how hard/easy it is to replace just one spoke? I really dont want to take it to my LBS because I dont trust them when it comes to wheels. Also, does anyone know what kinda spokes come on the Sun Ringle Eight tracks?

mroneeyedboh

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
with that it isnt hard. just loosen the nipple with a wrench ( assuming you know i mean spoke wrench ) and pull out the spoke insert new spoke and nipple ( jsut to be sure, they arent much anyway) and it may need to be trued just a little. And you would replace them with a 14 guage spoke. good luck

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
honestly if you had to ask how to do it you should get help with it from a friend or from your bike shop.
Im not an idiot, I just wanted to be 100% sure that there was nothing unforseen in the process. Ive built over 10 bikes and have done several motor swaps so I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined. And I would trust myself with a blindfold and a hammer before I would ever trust my LBS.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
with that it isnt hard. just loosen the nipple with a wrench ( assuming you know i mean spoke wrench ) and pull out the spoke insert new spoke and nipple ( jsut to be sure, they arent much anyway) and it may need to be trued just a little. And you would replace them with a 14 guage spoke. good luck
It is that simple to replace the spoke, but...

If you want the wheel to be properly tensioned and trued, which will in turn make the wheel stronger and last longer, take it to a decent shop and have them do it. Once you yank one spoke you will throw the tension totally out of whack.

You're gonna have to go there to buy the single spoke anyway.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BTW - one bent spoke does not need to be replaced. The wheel can be de-tensioned, the spoke straightened, then re-tensioned.

If you know how.

Go read this:

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
Getting the new spoke in is the easy part. Getting the wheel back to straight again is the difficult part.... don't throw away the old spoke though, they are actually a really useful tool if you sharpen the threaded end with a grinding wheel or something. I work at a shop and use my spoke poker every day.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
Getting the new spoke in is the easy part. Getting the wheel back to straight again is the difficult part.... don't throw away the old spoke though, they are actually a really useful tool if you sharpen the threaded end with a grinding wheel or something. I work at a shop and use my spoke poker every day.
id use it to clear the bowl and stem on my bong.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Is that spoke loose in the wheel? Or does it have tension on it? If it is loose I would just tighten it and re-tension the wheel. That spoke does not look bad enough to me to replace.

Keep in mind I ran my rear wheel for a month and a half last year(and two races) with a broken spoke taped to another so it did not rattle and make noise. So I might not be the best person to listen to:twitch:

Remove tire tube rom strip rotor etc. Take the spoke out and streighten it. Measure it with a spoke ruler (all Shops should have one)
Put it back in the same way you took it out. Tighten with a NEW nipple. Make shure it as the same tension as the rest of the spokes and it should be as true as it was before you bent it.