Quantcast

What tires when freeriding a DH bike ?

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
When freeriding on my DH bike I would like some light, but still burly tires with a lower rolling resistance than the Michelin s32 I am using for the moment. Does anybody know a good tire for freeriding a DH bike ? Maybe it would make it a little more funny if the bike did not feel so heavy on the wheels.

What tires would you use ?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
this question has been asked a million times over which is probably why you're not getting a fast response...did you try the search function?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Do you mean Black Diamond riding? :D

I wouldn't bother switching tires to anything lighter than what you'd normally run. Why? 2 reasons:1, you aren't going to drop the weight enough to make a DH bike fun for anything but DH. 2, Its a DH and you'll ride it like one on teh way down... and pinch those little light suckers!

Oh there's one other reason changing DH tires sucks, what a PIA :p

springfish

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Hood River, Oregon
I use dual compound zing-zing black rubber super tacky with the slow reeeezzzzay side casings on the kevlar / wire beaded knobs. Sometimes when I'm REALLY going crazy I run the side by side internal no tubes with the UST hard pack. But of course then you need to run the bendable tread rails otherwise you'll burn out the swingarm sides with the mud knobs.

Hope that helps. ;)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i run a big fat kujo up front and a slightly smaller maxxis mobster an the rear.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
you should be more concerned with the way you ride and the conditions you're riding in (mud, hardpack, loam etc) than whether or not you're 'freeriding' or 'DHing' or 'Black Diamond riding.'

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
springfish said:
I use dual compound zing-zing black rubber super tacky with the slow reeeezzzzay side casings on the kevlar / wire beaded knobs. Sometimes when I'm REALLY going crazy I run the side by side internal no tubes with the UST hard pack. But of course then you need to run the bendable tread rails otherwise you'll burn out the swingarm sides with the mud knobs.

Hope that helps. ;)
I run the same tires as this guy does but I mount the tires BACKWARDS therefore reversing the tread pattern, for less rolling resistance! :thumb:

D

Dingus McGee

If you require hand-holding for every leetle thing....do this:

Front: Maxxis High Roller 2.7" 40a or 42a (really a 2.5" at most) $34.99 most online whores.

Rear: Maxxis Mobster 60a 2.7" These are dirt cheap right now, seen them
for $19 at Beyond or somewhere.

Now go Phreeryde.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Well, I think the reason why I am asking for a different tire setup is that
1. the Michelin are quite heavy
2. The rolling resistance are significant

I was thinking light 2.5 / 2.3 tires with little rolling resistance...but which ?! :confused:

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Okay, I'll give you a sincere answer. It's my opinion that there are very few tires that are a true tire between an xc tire and a dh tire; they either have thick casings to help prevent pinch flats and allow lower tire pressures, or they have one ply casings and require higher air pressures. Any downhill bike is going to feel really weird with xc tires on it. The only tire I have ever used that comes in between the two extremes that I have ridden is the tioga factory dh tire in a 2.3 size. These are the factory "dh" tires that have been around for years; they are not true dh tires, but have a thicker casing. I've used thm as my xc tires for years, I've run 30 psi in them with no flats. Probably should run 35 to 40 psi if your going to do a bunch of jumping with them. They are inexpensive, and last a long time. Weight is 900 to 1000 grams, something like that.