Quantcast

What tires for Snowmass and Mt. Sweizer?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
I know i spelt that wrong oh well. Anyway im going to blast the mass then the two back to back norbas later this month so I need to get setup. What tires would work well at Mt Swiezer, I hear its really dusty. I work at a shop so I can get pretty much any tire and I have UST compatible rims. Also what tires will work well for Snowmass? I have 2 2.5 UST minions on right now , will those hold up at snowmass? Im thinkin ill need something bigger in the front for Idaho though.

thanks and just lemme know what you guys have ran and what you liked out there.

thanks

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Schweitzer - 2.2" Michy comp 16's (gotta get to the bottom of that powder)

I might cut a 2.2 comp 24 for the rear.

Snowmass? probably the same thing unless it rains.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Yea, I dunno about the 2.2 combo at Schweitzer. I mean there are more than a few oppertunities to flat there. Snowmass is similar to Schweitzer but not quite as rough.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
neversummersnow said:
Yea, I dunno about the 2.2 combo at Schweitzer. I mean there are more than a few oppertunities to flat there. Snowmass is similar to Schweitzer but not quite as rough.

i am with you there jeff. if there was ever a place to run twin 2.8 32's its ID.

you need all the compliance you can get.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
neversummersnow said:
Funny thing is a 2.2" Comp 24 was the only thing I didn't flat there last year.... on the back even?!? I flatted every Maxxis I took and since they offer no race support I had to buy a Michy.

I'm running tubeless and i'll just air up to 32-36psi or so in the back.

If I puncture one i'll just head down to the Michelin tent and get some Comp 32's and maybe cut them.

Looks like I get to race on the Inedible too! :evil:

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Inedible is quite possibly the best bike for that course...EVER

It's light, yet extremly stable at speed and eats those sort of bumps like I eat peanut butter bagles for breakfest.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
biker3 said:
I know i spelt that wrong oh well. Anyway im going to blast the mass then the two back to back norbas later this month so I need to get setup. What tires would work well at Mt Swiezer, I hear its really dusty. I work at a shop so I can get pretty much any tire and I have UST compatible rims. Also what tires will work well for Snowmass? I have 2 2.5 UST minions on right now , will those hold up at snowmass? Im thinkin ill need something bigger in the front for Idaho though.

thanks and just lemme know what you guys have ran and what you liked out there.

thanks
Try the Michelin Comp 24 2.5 F and 2.2 R, or both F and R 2.5. Use 28psi in both tires. You will find that you will roll faster and have more grip in the lose dirt.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
neversummersnow said:
...like I eat peanut butter bagles for breakfest.
You eat PB&Beagle? Oh wait...

As for tires, I'll be running black ones at Blast the Mass. With knobbies. As for the Snowmass Nat'l, I'll probably run black ones w/o knobbies because my tires will be roached from riding. :D

I know, I'm no help... I suck and should shut the it hell up...

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Can I fit a michy 2.8 in my slider? Also will my tubeless minions be alright for the snowmass course. Im going to blast the mass next weekend and don't exactly have time to get tires. Also If I choose to run highrollers at ID do I want soft compound or harder to dig in the dust?

thanks guys

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
biker3 said:
Can I fit a michy 2.8 in my slider? Also will my tubeless minions be alright for the snowmass course. Im going to blast the mass next weekend and don't exactly have time to get tires. Also If I choose to run highrollers at ID do I want soft compound or harder to dig in the dust?

thanks guys
I flatted (2) 2.35 tubeless Maxxis and (1) 2.5 tubeless Maxxis in practice at Idaho, I only ran the SR compound cause the ST wears crazy fast and doesn't seem to hook up any better unless your on rocks like Boulder City.

I being completely serious when I say Michy's work better tubeless, not just cause i'm sponsored. I blew a couple Maxxis off rims last year, and had more than my share of punctures. Probably has a lot to do with the tire casing and TPI. (have not tried the newer Minion tubeless though, but I ran just about every other tire Maxxis makes last year)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
ssaddict said:
(have not tried the newer Minion tubeless though, but I ran just about every other tire Maxxis makes last year)
That's why I'm saving my 2.7 Highroller UST and 2.5 Minion DHR UST proto tires just for Idaho. ;)

I agree that Maxxis' regular DH 2-ply casings are prone to punctures. I try and run a lot of Stan's to compensate.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
I'd probably go with the Mich 2.8 in front and the Comp 16 2.5 in the rear. I know a bunch of guys are saying go smaller in back so the tire can cut through to some useable dirt. The "2.5" Comp 16 actually measures about 2.3, it just has a lot bigger casing than the 2.2 does so it's going to be more resistant to pinch flatting.

If you're not going to do the Michelin thing, the Minion F 2.7 up front and either a High Roller 2.5 or Minion F 2.5 in the back would be my recommendation. The Minion R pattern is more of a fast rolling tread, and doesn't offer the same open center pattern for the best braking. I don't know why they named them the Minion F and R, I don't think there's anything front/rear specific about either tire. They should have been the HT and IT, similar to Maxxis moto tires (Hard Terrain = Minion R, Intermediate Terrain = Minion F). But, that's just my opinion.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
profro said:
That's why I'm saving my 2.7 Highroller UST and 2.5 Minion DHR UST proto tires just for Idaho. ;)

I agree that Maxxis' regular DH 2-ply casings are prone to punctures. I try and run a lot of Stan's to compensate.
They make a 2.7 UST Highroller, is yours a proto?

I know the old 2.35 ts Highroller were absolute crap, they blew off almost every rim I tried to mount them on (yes, even UST rims), and were only like 1.5 ply and punctured if you looked at them wrong. Of course maybe thats why Maxxis was selling them for like $30 for (2) tires and rimstrips! If you come across a set, save your money, they arn't worth it.