Quantcast

What should I race?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
So i've been out of racing for about 2 years now, and lately I've been looking up races (DH and XC) and decided to get back into it. I've only ridden DH a few times, so obviously i would race beginner there (really my only practical oppurtunity to DH). THe big question is about XC. Back when I raced sport junior and i could clean house by the end of the season, eventually racing Jr expert and finishing back of the pack. Since I stopped racing I've gotten pretty out of shape and I've only been on any bike a few times a year. I've grown out of the Junior category and would be racing in the 19+ group now.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
ito said:
Race sport. See how you do. If you clean house stay in it until you can upgrade. If not just stay in it until you can and then upgrade.

The Ito
thanks. haha, i can tell right now i'm not gonna clean house whatsoever anymore.....definitely nowhere near the endurance i used to have.....climbing is terrible now.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is my first real DH season. I am racing Expert only because the courses seemed to be better.

I know I will lose my ass to sandbaggers, but I would rather go out swinging on the tough course than rule the lower class. But I'm a jackass with hope.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Westy said:
Just start back out in Sport. I'm sure you'll get back into shape fast.
seems to be the thing to do...

how you been man?

I'm assuming by the looks of his website that dan's series is pretty much extinct?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
jimmydean said:
This is my first real DH season. I am racing Expert only because the courses seemed to be better.

I know I will lose my ass to sandbaggers, but I would rather go out swinging on the tough course than rule the lower class. But I'm a jackass with hope.
Yep. Same boat. Couple of top fives in sport but I dislike the sport courses...so I'll play with the big boys....and lose my shirt...but it'll be fun!!!

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Start sport you can jump up. last season was my first dh season i did sport got destroyed my first couple of races from mechanicals and just sucking. Soon after though i moved to snowshoe and rode a lot and got faster, went out on a limb jumped to expert and got 5th at a national. Goodluck with racing and have fun!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
MunkeeHucker said:
take off your derailers and race Single Speed. Race like you got a pair.....
Be a real man and race full rigid! Marshall did that a few years back when he broke the drop out on his Fox a few days before Sea Otter. I forget where he placed, but it was good for being rigid.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
NRSracer said:
seems to be the thing to do...

how you been man?

I'm assuming by the looks of his website that dan's series is pretty much extinct?
Hanging in there. You been going to college?

Dan is done. The East Coasters series may be defunct too, and that really sucks they had the best race venues ever. Real MOUNTAIN biking. I've just been focusing on a handfull of big endurance events.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Westy said:
Hanging in there. You been going to college?

Dan is done. The East Coasters series may be defunct too, and that really sucks they had the best race venues ever. Real MOUNTAIN biking. I've just been focusing on a handfull of big endurance events.
yep, sophomore marketing major out here at WVU.
it's a shame that series died, really enjoyed all those courses. I started to race in the mid-atlantic super series, and probably will race a few of them this summer when I'm on break. compared to AMBS, a lot of those courses are road biking on dirt, and no where near the friendly atmosphere dan's series had. hopefully i'll make it up to mount snow for the NORBA race, and hopefully i'll get some downhill riding in this season. I haven't actually been on a bike since july or so, been snowboarding/skiing 2 or 3 times a week instead.

i do remember you doing pretty well in the enduro category a few years ago though, so i bet that's a good fit for you. You gonna go for 24 hours of anything?