Quantcast

What say you Drunkards?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Since I have become of legal drinking age, I have lived in CA, OR, WA, and CO. I can't speak for any states east of the Rockies, but as far as west coast states go, that list seems pretty legit. While new breweries are spreading in CO like a outbreak of Ebola, CO is still a long way short of OR and WA in terms of number of breweries, and I hate to say it, but quality too. While there are certainly some great breweries here, the number of dubious quality breweries is shockingly high. In OR and WA, if your beer wan't fantastic, you didn't last long, yet it seems that here, as long as you can produce something fizzy with alcohol in it, your going to be able to make a run of it. I'm actually hoping that legal pot will weed out (no pun intended) some of the mediocre breweries.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I'm a bit annoyed that VT beat out WI, but otherwise it seems like a pretty solid list. If anything MI should be higher (Bells, Founders, Shorts, Dark Horse, etc) and crack the top 3.

Wisconsin's craft beer scene is certainly beyond the "New Glarus and Leinenkugels" mentioned in the list, but Madison is really the only real concentration of breweries/brewpubs in the state (12ish Brewpubs, 4 full production breweries, although I'm probably forgetting a couple). Everything else is spread out around the state (Central Waters, Tyranena, New Glarus, etc being a half hour to an hour away) so it's easy to forget that not *everywhere* is like here.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I'm a bit annoyed that VT beat out WI, .
this is not pandering.....but....

when i think of beer swilling falling down drunk alkies....i think wisconsin.

fvck those other states.

sincerely,

beer nazi.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I'm a bit annoyed that VT beat out WI, but otherwise it seems like a pretty solid list. If anything MI should be higher (Bells, Founders, Shorts, Dark Horse, etc) and crack the top 3.

Wisconsin's craft beer scene is certainly beyond the "New Glarus and Leinenkugels" mentioned in the list, but Madison is really the only real concentration of breweries/brewpubs in the state (12ish Brewpubs, 4 full production breweries, although I'm probably forgetting a couple). Everything else is spread out around the state (Central Waters, Tyranena, New Glarus, etc being a half hour to an hour away) so it's easy to forget that not *everywhere* is like here.
The thing that drives me crazy about lists like this is it doesn't really take availability into account. I don't care if you make good beer if I have to show up at the dock on a specific day or wait an hour to get a growler filled. I'm not going to do it. Oregon and Washington win because they have good beer everywhere. Sh!tty dive bars, restaurants, 7-11s and grocery stores pretty much all have a good beer selection. I can get beers with a 95 rating within 100 feet of my house. I can get beers that are better than Pliney or Heady Topper with a short drive at any time. Having stand out breweries is good but it doesn't add quality of life if it is a pain to get them.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
im with beef. im not that far from russian river, but their stuff is hard to come by, other than the store that is 40-50 miles away that usually has some.

if your beer is hard to get, i wont be wasting my time trying to get it. there are others out there to try that will satisfy mah needs.

btw, i like how 6ish months ago, i was only seeing pliny referred to as the holy grail of craft beers. now im seeing pliny and heady more and more.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
cackalacka du nord has come on strong in past few years. i say it should crack the top 10. ton of breweries in clt, avl, rdu area, bunch of others scattered around too. flame on