Quantcast

What pedals are you using these days?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Rocky Mtn. trail bike: Mallets.
Steelhead: DK Iron Cross flats pedals for jumpin', etc.; Mallets for trails.
Sinister R9: Atom Lab Aircorp flats - they are the grippiest and super thin for clearance, but I have rapidly come to dislike the bushings they use instead of bearings - I developed play in one month of riding (see Atom Lab thread in the DH section of Ridemonkey).

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I have pair of ancient red Ritchley spd's for XC and some Azonic Fusion Mags for everything else. The BMX bike has One-0-Ones, I have no idea who makes them but they are pretty nice. I'd really like to pick up a pair of Mallets sometime soon.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Sinister R9: Atom Lab Aircorp flats - they are the grippiest and super thin for clearance, but I have rapidly come to dislike the bushings they use instead of bearings - I developed play in one month of riding (see Atom Lab thread in the DH section of Ridemonkey).
if atom labs could make a decent bearing or bushing design, these pedals would completely rule; the body design still can't be beat (whatever happened to the rumored pedals that e13 was gonna come out w/ ? seems like that rumor was years ago...)

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Time ATAC XS on the trail bike
Specialized lo-pro Mag's on the DH most of the time
occasionally I run the Time Control Z's for smooth, pedally courses

I used to be a Shimano guy, but the Time pedals outperform them in every way.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
if atom labs could make a decent bearing or bushing design, these pedals would completely rule; the body design still can't be beat (whatever happened to the rumored pedals that e13 was gonna come out w/ ? seems like that rumor was years ago...)
Agreed on the atoms...Never heard of the 13 pedals, though.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Time ATAC XE's on both the MTB and Roadie. Have a pair of Z's stashed away as well. I got the XE's over the XS's because I really like the way the Z's worked without the tension adjustment and I saved some bucks as well. I rode Crank Bros Candy's and EB's for about a year and grew to hate them.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I love my old set of Shimano 636 (red platforms with clips). MY LBS calls me to let me know when someone is discarding them for newer pedals.. im up to about 4 pair now!!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have been using Wellgo flats for about 8 years.

I had some "old school" Looks (early 90's?) on the roadie when I had it.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
3ti Eggbeaters on the XC race bike, SS on the SS
Time RXS Carbon Ti on the roadie(hate them, soon to be the new Dura Ace)
Shimano 646(I think) on the DH bike

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I love my old set of Shimano 636 (red platforms with clips). MY LBS calls me to let me know when someone is discarding them for newer pedals.. im up to about 4 pair now!!
I had a pair of those that lasted forever. They kind of wear out after a very long time, but never seem to break or require being tossed. Great pedals.

In any case, I run SPDs on all my bikes. 959s, 646s and 545s I think. I just stopped using a pair of 747s that had been in service for a really, really long time.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
959s now on clearance at performance bike for $110.00 - nothing wrong with my current set except I have a lot a miles on them. I picked up a pair just in case... I compared them to the replacement XTRs & can't see spending the extra $100.00 just to be up to date. :)

Mom-in-law got me some Shimano 540's for my birthday. How did she know I wanted those!? :D I've been using 959's for a few years and they are beat to hell. Now I can't go putting scratched up pedals on my NEW bike. :D It looks like maybe the 959's have been discontinued? Eh, 540 or 959...same thing.

So what are you using?

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
Kona JackSh*t pedals. But they are shot now, missing so many pins. Any one know if the Sun Ringle ZuZu pedals are any good? I'm probably going to get those next, or the Specialized Lo-Pro.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
959s now on clearance at performance bike for $110.00 - nothing wrong with my current set except I have a lot a miles on them. I picked up a pair just in case... I compared them to the replacement XTRs & can't see spending the extra $100.00 just to be up to date. :)
Are 959's that much better than 540's? They are same design, but the 959's are like 25g lighter.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Kona JackSh*t pedals. But they are shot now, missing so many pins. Any one know if the Sun Ringle ZuZu pedals are any good? I'm probably going to get those next, or the Specialized Lo-Pro.
I have a bit of experience with the ZuZu's - I love the grip, the sealed bearings and the concave body, but I've broken 3 sets (1 pedal per set) - they tend to break dead center on the open back part of the pedal (weakest area of the design) usually caused by smacking a rock or two. I would have kept using these pedals if it wasn't for the breakage.

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
I have a bit of experience with the ZuZu's - I love the grip, the sealed bearings and the concave body, but I've broken 3 sets (1 pedal per set) - they tend to break dead center on the open back part of the pedal (weakest area of the design) usually caused by smacking a rock or two. I would have kept using these pedals if it wasn't for the breakage.
Thanks for the info. I dont hit my pedals on a whole lot of stuff so they should be good.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
For those of you riding clipless platforms, z's, candys, mallets and the like is it possible to go for an actual ride with regular flats on? I assume not so is the advantage when you dab you have a platform to rest on while you get clipped in?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
For those of you riding clipless platforms, z's, candys, mallets and the like is it possible to go for an actual ride with regular flats on? I assume not so is the advantage when you dab you have a platform to rest on while you get clipped in?

With the mallets, yes. Actually, thats why they're so popular in DH, because no matter what, you at a minimum have a platform.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Kona Jack$hit primo's, the concave design is awesome. Had to use thread locker on the pins to keep them from coming loose. Easy to service the bearings too.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
With the mallets, yes. Actually, thats why they're so popular in DH, because no matter what, you at a minimum have a platform.
yes I can use them without clipless shoes or yes you can have a platform when you dab? I think I'm going flats and a rebuild kit for the eggbeaters, if its broke fix it right?

so to further (sort of) detrail this thread, does anyone know if you can order 5050's in any color combo or do you have to order the pedals and then a color kit or whatever they are called. Black/green w/gold pins would be ballin on my new reign

Evil plug

Chimp
Dec 12, 2005
i use candy SL on the tricross, CB acids on the enduro, and they swithch to the Dna for trails, and the Dna usually has ****mano DX flats on it for fun

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
yes I can use them without clipless shoes or yes you can have a platform when you dab? I think I'm going flats and a rebuild kit for the eggbeaters, if its broke fix it right?

so to further (sort of) detrail this thread, does anyone know if you can order 5050's in any color combo or do you have to order the pedals and then a color kit or whatever they are called. Black/green w/gold pins would be ballin on my new reign
Well, both actually. When I dab, sometimes the course from a burm hits a steep, so I end up not worrying about clipping back it. However, I do everything i can to clip in in a rock garden situation, a drop or an airborne situation; the latter of which I am no getting into with a bike I trust.

The metal edges are replaceable you see along the edge. Whats nice, is often times when your using it as a platform, your foot will invariably find its way to clip in.