Quantcast

What makes YOUR state unique?

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
ummbikes said:
Sub Warshington for Oregon and it's the same. Biggest difference is pro-sports.
You're right about the pro-sports, but you forgot:
-Higher population density
-Worst (or close to it) traffic in the nation in Seattle
-Much higher cost of living, median home price, etc. in Seattle than in Portland
-Sales tax
-Crappy planning laws and loads of sprawl as a result
-A dearth of interesting features in your high plains region (Unless Pullman counts?)

I'm not saying Washington is a bad place at all; if it weren't for Oregon I'd probably consider it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
but there is legal ATV riding nearby? that's what velocity girl and freak ditched their DH bikes for, right?
yes, there is a lot of legal mx/atv riding around. lifted pickups hauling a boat, atvs, or mx bikes are everywhere once you get outside seattle. inside seattle it's all about the subaru outback/volvo/vw crowd

one of the ugliest webpages ever, but shows the wealth of atv trails:
http://www.waatva.org/trails.htm

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
We don't have states in the uk we have countys the county i live in is called leicestershire the good things about my county are its a rural county fall of farms, bridlways and woods so its quite good for XC plus pork pies come from melton in leicestershire.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ukjason said:
We don't have states in the uk we have countys the county i live in is called leicestershire the good things about my county are its a rural county fall of farms, bridlways and woods so its quite good for XC plus pork pies come from melton in leicestershire.
so if i buy a pork pie at my local supermarket it really came from melton in leicestershire which is part of your county instead of a state in the uk which has all sorts of xc riding since it's rural and has farms, bridleways, and woods that you like to say good things about?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Toshi said:
so, that'd be bend? :D
Ya, somewhere around there:) Kevin has it in his mind that Oakridge is the place to be, but it's so tiny.We are planning in a year we can everything sold, and ready to move down with plenty of $$.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Snacks said:
Ya, somewhere around there:) Kevin has it in his mind that Oakridge is the place to be, but it's so tiny.We are planning in a year we can everything sold, and ready to move down with plenty of $$.
be careful not to flood the market with gmc trucks, the price will drop like a rock (rimshot. oh wait, that's chevy) if you unload all of them at once, heh :D . props on the upcoming move, oregon really is a nice place to be.

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
Toshi said:
so if i buy a pork pie at my local supermarket it really came from melton in leicestershire which is part of your county instead of a state in the uk which has all sorts of xc riding since it's rural and has farms, bridleways, and woods that you like to say good things about?
WTF :confused:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Snacks said:
Have you ever been there in the Winter? Did you actually drive through the town? Ugh.......

But I guess if you don't mind no social life at all it would be a dirt cheap place to live.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
McGRP01 said:
C'mon.... :clue:
Hey your milage may very but for me and mine we are staying away. Now I did like Lake Placid area and of course cooperstown. But you can keep your lake effect snow and ice storms.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
BeerDemon said:
Have you ever been there in the Winter? Did you actually drive through the town? Ugh.......

But I guess if you don't mind no social life at all it would be a dirt cheap place to live.
No, never been there in the winter. Yes, we drove though town:)

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
COLORADO is unique because:

No one is truely a Republican or a Democrat.

We want tax breaks and a little defense budget, but want to hug our trees too.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
NYC. All you need is a car and somewhere to hide it to get everything and anything you'll ever want.

30 min from my apartment (with no traffic and in a car) is beaches, trails, hills.

two hours away is PA, CT, Montauk (the real ocean), Stosh, and some sweet upstate riding.

Sometimes I think that If I had a motorcycle with a trailer-hitch I'd be set for life.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Ok, so I'm going to vote for Nevada. Not the "Lost Wages" Nevada, the Nevada that's just over the hill from Lake Tahoe. 2 hours from Mammoth, CA. About the same to Squaw Valley, CA. Some extremes in climate (snowing/cold winters, 100+/- in the summer). Good fishing at Tahoe (been out several times with a co-worker, always caught fish). The history of the Comstock at Virginia City. And the riding isn't too bad, either........

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I suppose I will seriously answer the question:

Salt Lake
Pros:
-Awesome outdoor opportunities in the city. Think of it like living in San Diego and going to the beach for world-class skiing, MTB, hiking...
-Transit system (Emphasis on commuter and light rail) is excellent
-Salt Lake proper is very liberal and non-Mormon
-Big enough to get all your kicks (1.2 million in metro area), small enough to not be LA-ish. And who's heard of a major metro area with an international airport within 30 minutes of some of the worlds best ski resorts?
-A healthy picking of decent shops around (Go-Ride, Revolution, etc...)
-Awesome food
-Good local micros to pick from
-Pretty mountain skyline from my front door...but I take it for granted.
-Univ. of Utah...relatively liberal university with an awesome med school.
-I live within walking distance of 5 hospitals (important for a person like myself)

Cons:
-SLC suburbs heavily Republican and Mormon.
-Utah State Legislature considered one of the most corrupt in the Western World (debate is generally between the far right and the extreme right. Expect to live in a slight theocracy under state law.)
-Alcohol laws. Nothing above 3.2% (aside from in-state micros) outside of State-run liqour stores, bars, and licensed restaraunts.
-Strong winters result in a short alpine bike season...many higher elevation trails do not clear off until the end of June.
-Summers very dry, expect brown and lack of real trees below 5500 feet in non-urban areas.
-Winter inversions (high pressure traps very cold low pressure air in the Salt Lake Valley, dearth of moisture and heavy pollution buildup)
-Property values (Especially in SLC proper) are currently skyrocketing. House down the street from me went for $950k last fall.