Quantcast

What is This Inverted "Boxxer"

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Rear wheel is the stock 19" moto. I swapped the very light duty kid's MX tire to a 3" trials tire with some knobs cut. Up front I installed a 26", 40mm wide, carbon 36 spoke wheel Light Bicycle made for me with a 3" DH casing Duro tire. MTB tubeless in both. Besides being taller than stock it's much lighter. The more popular option is a moto 21" rim for more tire availability. The stock shock is 10.5×3.5" with 450lb spring. I'm still using the stock shock but with 500 or 550 spring depending on use. I went up 4 teeth on the sprocket to make up for the bigger tire and added links to the chain to maximize chainstay length (stock is near the front of the adjustment range). Finishing it up are Shimano finned Saint brake pads, swapping the hoses between levers to get American MTB brake setup, and a 50mm rise handlebar.
So what is the real world, trail range you are getting out of the Sur Ron? Do you know average, max, and min you have seen? I imagine that the higher speed trails are the ones that eat the battery the fastest.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
So what is the real world, trail range you are getting out of the Sur Ron? Do you know average, max, and min you have seen? I imagine that the higher speed trails are the ones that eat the battery the fastest.
Riding typical mixes of singletrack and doubletrack I see 20-30mi range. There's a big difference if you're using the upper half of the throttle or not. Hard accelerations, wheelying at every opportunity, going above 35mph of flat ground, and steep climbs eat battery. It barely uses anything when riding smoothly, the way you would on an MTB.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Riding typical mixes of singletrack and doubletrack I see 20-30mi range. There's a big difference if you're using the upper half of the throttle or not. Hard accelerations, wheelying at every opportunity, going above 35mph of flat ground, and steep climbs eat battery. It barely uses anything when riding smoothly, the way you would on an MTB.
I was expecting more like 30-40 miles based on what I had read. Back story, I have a ktm 300 and wife is interested in getting into some mellow moto to join from time to time, and this really appeals to me for her. She is tiny yet strong and will not likely ever be a shredder, just wants to get out, have some fun, and see new terrain that only motorized can really get you to. The ease of skill transition from mtn biking, the low weight and low maintenance for me make this seem pretty ideal. I would want her to be able to consistently get 40 miles in though at her level of throttle aggression.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Might as well bring this up here.

Are there any videos of............... how do I put this......

Riding that doesn't look like this?

I have a vision in my head of how I think these things would be really fun but all I can find is this kind of poking around stuff. And everyone looks too big for the things and like this is their first 'cyclesport'

@Lelandjt : you got anything of riding around monarch pass or similar?

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
There is also a car/moto/mod guy with Youtube channel named Jack Cecil: https://www.youtube.com/user/BoostCrzy and his shop is getting into these. He has gone with aftermarket controllers (BEC) and batteries to get over 80mph and 35+ miles at 50+mph range tests. He even has a dyno and goes from the stock high 6 HP to something around 22 with these mods. No idea what costs and practicality but interesting to see the potential.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog

I have a vision in my head of how I think these things would be really fun but all I can find is this kind of poking around stuff. And everyone looks too big for the things and like this is their first 'cyclesport'

I tend to agree woo, and this type of thing has held me back a bit. I have ridden a couple and they do feel a bit undersized (and i'm only 5'10). I think the next generation of this type of bike is going to be really great, maybe some more power and a bit bigger?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

well he did know how to assume the down hill position

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I tend to agree woo, and this type of thing has held me back a bit. I have ridden a couple and they do feel a bit undersized (and i'm only 5'10). I think the next generation of this type of bike is going to be really great, maybe some more power and a bit bigger?
Yeah, this is the early adopter option and it's not perfect, but it's reasonably affordable, available now, and an MTBer can figure out how to mod it well enough to make it really fun. If you don't mind more weight and triple the money the Cake is that slightly bigger, heavier, more powerful option and needs no modifications.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008

I never shoot video but here's some guys riding MTBish style dirtjumps.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
I really enjoyed this recent vid and there is a surprise celebrity appearance and pretty damn impressive filming/production value

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I really enjoyed this recent vid and there is a surprise celebrity appearance and pretty damn impressive filming/production value

haha

I know that guy. That's just down the road from here. A buddy of mine said paul hasn't been able to shut up about his sur ron. Awesome to see him on one.

Thank you both. I don't know why finding video of someone competent riding is so hard with those things. 90% of the videos are 'first ride' or 'here's my bike sitting here on a kickstand while I babble about it'

Also........this is SO fucking illegal :rofl:

marlette.JPG

Good to see!

Last edited: