Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Today I discovered one of the link's pivot of my Siskiu T8 was cross-threaded from factory. There were no tool marks on the screws, and when I asked the previous owner if he had serviced them he told me he just used the bike for a year without touching it.

IMG-20231007-WA0002.jpg

I started to undo the screws to grease the pivots, and the last one took a hella lot of force to unscrew it. When I tried to put it back it wouldn't go, so I checked the threads in the frame and they were fucked up.

Major props to my friend Germán, the owner of Masterbikes, who opened the shop on a Saturday noon to chase the treads and and save the day for me.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Today I discovered one of the link's pivot of my Siskiu T8 was cross-threaded from factory. There were no tool marks on the screws, and when I asked the previous owner if he had serviced them he told me he just used the bike for a year without touching it.

View attachment 201687

I started to undo the screws to grease the pivots, and the last one took a hella lot of force to unscrew it. When I tried to put it back it wouldn't go, so I checked the threads in the frame and they were fucked up.

Major props to my friend Germán, the owner of Masterbikes, who opened the shop on a Saturday noon to chase the treads and and save the day for me.
Is that a crack in the paint or a weird reflection to the left of the threaded hole?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
i find their atlas pedals to be the best things i've tried since my original kona wah wahs. and can't complain about my atlas stem either. but that's all i use from them. well, i did happily run sixc crabon bars for years too until kidwoo convinced me i was going to die...
Their Vault hubs are also very good. I have 3 sets and they have all been super reliable for me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ask @kidwoo he has experience with Chinesium spare pistons
those were hard annodized aluminum. They still leaked on the xts I put them in but that also could have been the rings and calipers which were leaking before. It's worth a shot.

they didn't fix my problem but they'd definitely be an improvement over that problem

Last edited:

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Saw my buddy’s Stumpy carbon chainstay snap waaaaayyyy to easily last weekend. Slow speed crash and the bike landed on a small but pointy root. Thought it was a dead stick on the ground that snapped when the bike landed, but nope, it was his chainstay.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I had a rough couple weeks earlier this fall, esploded my OEM RS rear shock, cracked carbon rear rim, and ripped the tread off half of one of my shoes. On the plus side, the shock was in its 5th year so upgraded to the new super deluxe ultimate, which with the cascade link I put on earlier this year has transformed the gen3 bronson into a even better performing machine. Walked into Evolution in Whistler and they had a pair of Fox Union BOAs in my size that fit great for 40% off! The rear wheel was a Reserve 30 in its 4th year, and the only thing I ever had to do with it was tighten one rear spoke 2 years ago, but was incredibly reliable...only cracked the rim as I punctured just before I was about to try and jump some rocks, so ended up just casing a big square edge at speed. SCB/Reserve had a new wheel to me in BC within a week, and not just a rim, wheel ready to fucking go and no need to send anything back.

Last edited: