Quantcast

what fork for evil imperial?

supros88

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Australia
I want to get a evil imperial with either a 04breakout or a 04breakout plus, does anyone have a opinion or does anyone run either of these setups & whats the best 1.5 headset?

i ride mainly urban/park & dirt

any help would be great.............thank's.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
i had a DJ1 on mine, but now i'm getting the z150 to play with.
As far as headsets....just buy an FSA orbit or pig. They are great headsets and won't cost you to much scrila!

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by supros88
what about a crane creak & what is a scrila, i'v never heard of them?
scrilla is $$$ in west-coast gang-bang slang in the us...;)

I would personally not recommend the Cane Creek; I used one all last season and the bearings felt "notchy" from the start, after a year they're kinda rough.

I would probably go with the FSA Orbit Extreme Pro; I like FSA's headsets - they seem to hold up better and feel smoother. The Big Fat Pig might be cheaper but it has loose balls, I'm not a huge fan of that type of bearing.

I think the Breakout+ would be too much fork for that bike, a 6" travel fork is pretty much PERFECT on the Imperial. I run a 5" and 6" interchangeably and the bike feels better with the 6. Putting 7" on a hardtail seems like real overkill to me. I'd only do that if it's gonna be a predominantly DH bike; I ride mine for street and freeride mostly so a big fork isn't something I'm really after.

Honestly, I think you might do better to get a 5" fork and ditch the Breakouts for that sort of riding. Mine stays in 5" mode (with a Z.1) for all my street, dj, and freeride/drops stuff, I'll only bust out the Super T for DH shuttle runs and such.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Yeah, 6" and 7" of travel for park and street as well as dirt jump use is really no good. All of the Evil team guys are running 80mm forks at the moment. Even a 5" fork on a street/park bike is overkill. 3" of firm travel is where it's at.

My Sherman Jumper is here by the way. i'll post some pics after I stop riding it. :)

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by RD
Yeah, 6" and 7" of travel for park and street as well as dirt jump use is really no good. All of the Evil team guys are running 80mm forks at the moment. Even a 5" fork on a street/park bike is overkill. 3" of firm travel is where it's at.

My Sherman Jumper is here by the way. i'll post some pics after I stop riding it. :)
Yeah, the only problem is that the head angle is so steep by the time you get down that far. I like the H/A best with a 5" fork (or rather a 4" fork and a 24" rear wheel, actually).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by sub6
Yeah, the only problem is that the head angle is so steep by the time you get down that far. I like the H/A best with a 5" fork (or rather a 4" fork and a 24" rear wheel, actually).
really? it's all a matter of preference. i like the feel of my evil with:

90mm stem, 65mm fork, for urban trials
50mm stem, 80mm fork, for hitting up the park
90mm stem, 130mm fork, for riding the trails with great back pain
90mm stem, 150mm fork, for jumping off things

go figure :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by supros88
thank's guys, but i thought shermans were ajustable from 5 to 7 inch?
They are, but locking it down to 5" preloads the sh*t out of the fork - makes it very stiff, so it's not really rideable for much but street or climbing.

I like my geometry setup with a 5" Sherman Firefly.. Like it a lot!

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
I've got a Super T on mine. It's great for bashing around and descending but I will end up with a 150mm or less before long. I've got the FSA Orbit Extreme headset and it rocks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
fork progression, from big to small:

150mm:

130mm:

80mm:

75mm:

65mm:

0mm:

supros88

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Australia
totaly sweet bike good thing i was sitting down caus i think i just wet myself

but seriously i think i will go either 5" or 6"

oh & i loooooooove the pics

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
as for the frok i say the breakout+ because of the spv. it work soooo well. as for the headset dont get canecreek look at fsa big fat pig (very strong) or at woodmans new headset for 1.5

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
personally i had a dj2 on it and it was a bad asss urban street bike but now i just got a breakout and it sort feels too much for street but will be good for like freeriding and dirtjumping. Also i'm running the cane creek headset, no problems whatsoever

supros88

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Australia
I sorta have my hart set on some 04 breakouts or breakout plus with spv, what do u think?

& are yours 04 spv?

& i know it's off topic but does anyone want to sell their Evil Imperial, or know of any for sale?

& yes i have checked the Buy&Sell but they are all sold.

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
Toshi's example proves that you should never run the Imperial with a 75mm fork because it simply falls over at that setting :p

I've been running my Imperial with an 02 DJ1 on it for a long time now. I rode it for a bit at 5" and then put some 4" springs in it for park and urban fun. I like the feel of it (edit: the angles and such, not the quality of suspension) but the fork is poop IMO. I just got my 04 FireFly in and am awaiting the 1.5 headset so I can install it. I was tempted to get the breakout, but really only wanted 5" so I got the FireFly loaded with goodies instead (1.5, 20mm axle, SPV, travel adjust)........can't wait to try it out!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by BostonBullit
Toshi's example proves that you should never run the Imperial with a 75mm fork because it simply falls over at that setting :p
and the seat falls off on its own! :mad: manitou... jeez.

after riding it in many configurations i've decided that i like mine set up best with a 5" fork after all. if i had a 3" with really stiff springs that would be another matter, but my z1 at 80mm wasn't cutting it -- i was bottoming out just messing around in the skatepark, which never happens when set up at 130mm.

repost from that other thread, since this one is now bumped up higher :D