Quantcast

What fork for DH/Urban/DJ/Freeride HT frame?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
So I have made the decision to build up another hardtail. Now for the hard part, what fork to put on it.

Lets get this straight right now, I am asking ONLY about Marzocchi products, specifically those listed below. No, I don't want a Fox, Manitou, etc, leave it at the forks listed below please.

I am trying to keep it fairly low cost (seeing as I don't plan on selling any of my bikes to build it) The fork should be either 110mm or 130mm, 130mm would be preferable.

Here are my options right now:

Z1 FR
Z1 DROP-OFF I
Z1 DROP-OFF II
DIRT JUMPER I
DIRT JUMPER III

I am thinking a QR20 would be nice but not necessary seeing as the QR20 models are a little bit more expensive.

I am going to be riding this as a Freeride bike mostly, it will probably come to a few DH races with me to race in the Hardtail DH Categories here in the PNW. When our DJ park opens up here in Bellingham I would like to be able to take it to the park and toy around on it but at the same time I don't want a DJ only fork.

Suggestions would be nice, been a while since I bought a fork like this.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
on my do it all hardtail (evil) lives a '02 z1 FR. it's treated me well, although it's currently back at the mother ship recuperating. drop-offs == z5, no good.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, of the forks listed, you obviously know which ones have superior damping and features...buy the best one you can afford.

MD

Budman

Chimp
Nov 14, 2003
Seattle
I would have to go with DJ1... I have had a dirt jumper on my old bike and it works so sweet with dirt jumps and urban and it can hold up to freeride also.. Levi rides a DJ1 on his hard tail and i have seen him go bigger on that then any other fork..All the guys i know love it and have had nothing wrong with there Dirt Jumpers so i would say go with that...

Travis

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
I have the Z1 freeride and the DJ.
the DJ is super for street and DJ, but sucks for trail-freeriding-DH.
The Z1 has a much better damping system and I use it for everything. The Z1 has also external rebound and preload.
The weightdifference is also something to keep in mind.

Z1 freeride gets my vote.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you put the Z1 FR in your list, I assume you can afford it. If you can afford it, there is absolutely no comparison between the other ported damper forks and the cartridge damper in the Z1 FR.

So, Z1 FR. If you can't afford it, then MD gave the best advice.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Well I got a little more information on pricing of the rest of the build so now the question, DJ1 or Z1 Drop Off 1 w/ETA, or neither. Now read on...

Yes I know, neither have HSCV. But with the budget I am going to be on they are pretty much my two choices.

I don't know if QR20 or ETA are worth it. I have yet to own a QR20 fork and all the single crowns I have owned have been QR, yet I haven't really been bothered by flex (probably because of my weight). ETA I have no experience with but I have heard from several riders that they like theirs.

So the question is, which one would you get? Or would you save the money and go with a Z1 Drop Off 2 or DJ3. I'd save a bit of money there and the Z1 I would have internal rebound, I don't tweak stuff that often unless its opened up so I dont care if its internal or external.

I am stuck! I am trying to build this thing up as inexpensive as possible seeing as my main race bike is my Lenz, this is more just a play bike. Plus I have a few other purchases to make this summer (LCD 19" monitor & road bike)

Here is what the build is looking like right now:

Front Hub - Velocity Disc 32 hole
Front Rim - Sun Singletrack 26" 32 hole
Rear Rim - Sun Singletrack 26" 32 hole
Rear Hub - Hayes Disc 32 hole
Spokes - Black
Nipples - Silver
Frame - Soul Cycles - Titan (white)
Fork - HELP!
Seatpost - Thomson Elite
Seat - SDG Freestyle
Headset - FSA Pig DH
Stem - FSA FR200 50mm
Handlebar - FSA FR270
Grips - ODI Rogue Lock-on Full
Shifters - Sram X7
Rear Derailleur - Sram X7
Front Derailleur - Shimano XT
Front Brake - Hayes Mag 6"
Rear Brake - Hayes Mag 6"
Tubes - Maxxis Welter Weight
Front Tire - Maxxis Minion DHR 60a
Rear Tire - Maxxis Minion DHR 60a
Cassette - Sram 9 speed
Bottom Bracket - FSA Platinum
Cranks - FSA V-Drive Xtreme Bash
Pedals - Ringle Mag
Chain - Sram

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I would stay away from the dj series if you plan on doing any trail or dh riding. I had a 03 dj2 and hated it. I have a 03z1 qr and a sc shiver and would suggest either one for what you would be doing. the z1 will generally rake the frame out a little more. I weigh 155 and flex has not really been an issue with the qr. But I have noticed alot of people riding the sc shiver on ht's around here if that means anything. Also if price is the main concern and you already have qr then go with the qr z1, there are pleanty of 03's you can get a deal on. I would also go with something with external rebound if you plan on doing different types of riding

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I've got five Marzocchi's including an '04 z1 fr and '04 drop off triple and have ridden an '04 dj1 that is on a demo bike at my work. Since I have ridden all the forks you are interested in I have to tell you to save your money and get the z1 fr. The other forks with ssv and ssvf cannot touch the z1 fr when it comes to trail or freeriding. The dj1 gets praised alot but really has no advantages over the others other than being heavy with steel stantions and less travel, if you like that. Buy a used z1 fr if you have too otherwise you'll be sorry. Do a test ride on a real rough trail to confirm what I've said.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
I have experience with the Z1 FR, DJ1, and DJ2. If you are strictly ridding street/park/DJ, go for the dirt jumper. That line of forks is made entirely for single hits and it handles them very well. For anything that will challenge your fork at all, get a Z1. Seriously, best single crown 5 inch fork you can find. If you can find a 2002 in new or nearly new condition, get it. Lighter weight, usually cheaper, better tire clearance, and incredible performance.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
BurlySurly said:
Have you considered the Fox Dh fork?
Are you seriuos? If he can't afford $519 for a z1 fr what makes you think he wants a $1100 (estimate) 8" downhill fork on his hardtail to do urban and freeride?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
TWISTED said:
Are you seriuos? If he can't afford $519 for a z1 fr what makes you think he wants a $1100 (estimate) 8" downhill fork on his hardtail to do urban and freeride?
Of course he's serious. He has a degree from the Richard Cunningham School of Journalism, for god's sake...

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
MikeD said:
Of course he's serious. He has a degree from the Richard Cunningham School of Journalism, for god's sake...
You know I met that shriveled up skinny old man. I wouldn't believe anything he writes in Mountain Christian Action.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
mplutodh1 said:
So the question is, which one would you get? Or would you save the money and go with a Z1 Drop Off 2 or DJ3. I'd save a bit of money there and the Z1 I would have internal rebound, I don't tweak stuff that often unless its opened up so I dont care if its internal or external.
Well both forks have SSV and the most noticeable difference between the Drop Off II and the DJ III is the weight.
I have a Z1 with ETA and to be honest I don't use it that much.
You haven't really been bothered by flex so the 20mm isn't really worth the extra $$. My DJ 2 has internal rebound and I tweaked it once and left it that way, while my Z1 FR has external rebound and preload and I tweak it for almost every different track/underground.

The bottom line is (in my case) : if you have all the adjustments you will use them, but if you don't you won't be missing them.