Quantcast

what do you wear on cold rainy days for AM rides?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
hi guys
I ask here..... because this is the best forum I know...
I now use a thermal shirt, a breathable t shirt and on both I wear a breathable water proof coat.
I wear an AM regular short pants...
I'm looking for a better coat, that will also keep me warm when its get rain and mud
and also a long pants (breathable ? ) water proof

thanks

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
its one thing to dress for cold, but rain is a different story. my cold gear is thermal tights with 3/4 length 'knickers' over. maybe check out some mountaineering pants, like climbers use, which can be lightweight and partially water resistant.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I like the RF Agent Winter shorts.
Waterproof softshell and generally kick ass. Breathe well in warmer temps too.
These shorts with some knee warmers get me thru most cold weather rides as well.

Mavic makes something similar too and I think a pant version too.

Pearl Izumi, alpinestars and others also have waterproof shorts but they are PU lined (that rubber feeling interior) so I imagine they'd get swamp ass rolling quick.

I use a sugoi rsx neoshell jacket.
Super $$$ but minimalist jacket that keeps you dry and breathes well. Fit is awesome.
I wish it had pit zips and that the hood zipped on but it works well.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I did 32km in the rain today at temps just above freezing.
Pants like these;

With my normal dh or trail shorts over them so i look less ghey. Dont think they actually stay dry but at least the rain doesnt bother me at all when I wear them.
Thermo shirt with long sleeves and a north face gore tex active hard shell jacket.
Sealskin socks and five tens, normal gloves.
Only thing that got cold/wet were my hands cause i was wearing tld air gloves.
Switching to something more waterproof and warm next time. Suggestions are welcome.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just a T shirt and my usual riding trousers.
No gloves. No helmet. Sometimes a wee hat.
Same in snow.

craigyboy

Chimp
Aug 21, 2005
Most definatley a compression layer first, if your pushing hard and sweating you need to get that sweat off the skin otherwise it will freeze you, proper Lycra under shorts are a must along with long waterproof socks, after that maybe one more thin top layer and a medium weight waterproof coat with just my normal Troy lee moto shorts. This works well for me in rainy conditions at above 2-5 degrees. My personal opinion is forget gloves unless there waterproof once they soak through your hands will be completely numb if you go without gloves and have the right grips your hands will be warm after a couple of hard climbs. If it's not raining but still cold and damp I'll usually just use a decent gillet instead of the waterproof coat. But keep the rest the same.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Must've taken ages for Pinkbike to 'shop out all that Winter rain, hail and snow for their mighty purty piccies.
well the "piccies" probably wouldn't look so "purty" had they taken them in the rain, hail, and snow. makes more sense to, ya know, wait for the weather to pass?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
hi guys
I ask here..... because this is the best forum I know...
I now use a thermal shirt, a breathable t shirt and on both I wear a breathable water proof coat.
I wear an AM regular short pants...
I'm looking for a better coat, that will also keep me warm when its get rain and mud
and also a long pants (breathable ? ) water proof

thanks
Wait - you are from the Mediterranean desert. What does "cold" mean in your context? When my temperatures turn into negative celsius numbers, it's one of the windstopper softshell jackets + technical shirt under. For temps below -5C, it is time to reach for long skiing underwear. -10C and below, moar skiing gear.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
@StiHacka
its not really a desers around here.... but, yes. its not feezing too.
most of the winter is good weather, like the summer in the alps
http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/December-Dust-James-Stock-Shr-edit,30460/Sababike,8624
but when it rains and cold, I still want to go out and ride :)
thanks for all the answers guys. it really help.

I think of buying this long pants
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/il/en/endura-mt500-spray-trouser-ss16/rp-prod91333
do you think I shuld wear a termal compression pants under this?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
@StiHacka
its not really a desers around here.... but, yes. its not feezing too.
most of the winter is good weather, like the summer in the alps
http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/December-Dust-James-Stock-Shr-edit,30460/Sababike,8624
but when it rains and cold, I still want to go out and ride :)
thanks for all the answers guys. it really help.

I think of buying this long pants
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/il/en/endura-mt500-spray-trouser-ss16/rp-prod91333
do you think I shuld wear a termal compression pants under this?
how cold does it actually get, like in Fahrenheit or Celsius

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
can get to freez... 0 Celsius
a year a go I rode when it snow in the middle of the ride. it was amazing.

tingers

Chimp
Mar 15, 2009
I did 32km in the rain today at temps just above freezing.
Pants like these;

With my normal dh or trail shorts over them so i look less ghey. Dont think they actually stay dry but at least the rain doesnt bother me at all when I wear them.
Thermo shirt with long sleeves and a north face gore tex active hard shell jacket.
Sealskin socks and five tens, normal gloves.
Only thing that got cold/wet were my hands cause i was wearing tld air gloves.
Switching to something more waterproof and warm next time. Suggestions are welcome.
I got some cheap neoprene gloves from Wal Mart that are great. Have been using them for commuting for a couple years. The fancy winter riding gloves I got were not so good.