Quantcast

What Blur to Buy??

WonderBoy

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
Hi there!

I´m currently contemplating selling my heckler and buying a Blur. But what model should I look at? I like the geometry of the heckler, but wouldn´t mind not having 130 in the rear.
I´m looking at these models: I can get a good deal on a 2004 "narrow-rear" blur.
I´m also looking at the 4X and the classic Blur with "Bigfoot-Rear". I´m not looking at the BLT as i don´t need the travel, and also not looking at the Blur XC as I think is is a little too race-oriented.

I´m concerned with the relative steep headangle on the classic Blur (compared to the Heckler) so I´m considering putting a Pike on the front in 120mm mode as it may be able to give it more stability. On the other hand the quite slack headangle on the 4X may be way too slack for XC riding...Any thoughts on that one?

Are there huge difference in stiffnes between the two models?

I´m going to use it for non-racing XC, some trail and maybe a little jumping.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
I think that the 4x would be good for you, but why not the LT? It's only .7" more travel. The Blur Classic (old style) would be a terrible jumping bike, and if you put a 120mm fork on it, this will void the warranty.
As for the 4x, a 68.5 headangle is perfect for agressive trail riding.

WonderBoy

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
hmm.. the main thing this bike is going to see is xc, trail and maybe jumping in that order, and we are talking about 80% xc...so the jumping ability are not particularly high on my whish-list.

I know the warrenty will be void with the pike, but has anyone tried it and what were there findings?

Please, everybody, I really need your help on this one! :thumb:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Go LT as the weight isn't much more if at all over the classic Big foot rear Blur. You'll get a burlier frame which will take the longer fork. I would guess that some one who enjoys the odd dirt jump session willl hit the XC trails a bit harder than the average XC geek in homo hosen. The traditional Blur might not be enough bike for you.

On the other hand, the wife rides an original Blur with a Talas as does a 200# friend of mine. The ride is fine and neither has blown a head tube off. If your light and smooth you might be fine. The VPP linkage allows for a very efficent bike though. I have vpfree as well as a Blur and the VP free climbs slower due to weight and a short stem, but I get up stuff maybe even better with the longer travel sucking up the lumps. Crank up the pro pedal and it does not bob at all. I'm a smooth climber though.

WonderBoy

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
hmm...

Well...I have a VP-Free as well, and are letting my heckler go in favor of the Blur.
I think the Heckler is somhow leaning too much towards light freeride, and also like the feel of vpp-suspension a lot more (I got the free as a replacement for a Bullit)

I´m just concerned about the steepish HA of the 4X and durability issues with the 2004 model.

I might add that the 2004 model is 2/3 of the price of the 2005 model I can get...and my heckler can be part of a deal to make it even cheaper...

Ohh I´m confused!! :mumble:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Well if you have a freeride bike already, then maybe go with the older Blur and set it up pure XC. The thing is a rocket that's for sure. A lot people say the Blur is the best decending XC bike out there due to the vpp suspension and low bb height. Quite a popular bike out here. But tire size is a limitation of the original rear triangle. You can squeeze a 2.2 in there but pray you don't bust a spoke or hit sticky mud.

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
I am selling my Superlight in favor of a Blur LT w/ a Talus (someone please buy it). I dont think the 4x would make a good XC bike at all. I have riden my buddies original Blur and it does not feel super racey in comparison to the superlight.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hey all, I'm usually over in DH or the lounge but this thread caught my eye. I'm a biased SCB whore and figured I'd chime in. I own a vp-free, a blur "classic," and a heckler and suggest that you keep your heckler and get a blur LT. My free is basically set up for DH - 8" fork, big tires, etc. It's over 40 pounds and (great linkage notwithstanding) is a real chore on rolling singletrack. On the other hand, I love my blur for epic XC riding but have never felt very confident descending sketchy stuff, and for me, jumping and freeride-ish stuff is out of the question. So I really wanted something in between, and built up my heckler for dirt jumping, light DH, urban, and other silliness. Basically I used a 4X kit - dual ring with bash, 321 rims, 2.35 tires, etc., with a manitou firefly plus that I usually ride in 6" mode. Works great and I have three FS bikes with completely different personalities and little overlap.

If you can't or don't want 3 FS bikes, get a 4X. IMO the geometry is much better for aggressive riders and you'll be much happier on those days when you want to hit the jumps or otherwise jib the gnar...if you get a 4X I would also suggest going with a Fox 36 or other fork wtih adjustable travel that goes up to 150mm - you can always crank it down for XC.

Anyway, you pretty much can't go wrong so don't sweat it too much...my $.02 (and change). :)

WonderBoy

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
so its been decieded!

I have swapped my trusty old Heckler for a Blur classic! The narrow rear is not really a problem , as it can (reasonably) comfortably hold a Racing Ralph in 2.25 version.

Geometry-wise it is sooo much more fun riding XC on compared to the heckler, plus the vpp suspension is a world apart from the still very nice feel of the single pivot heckler.

I thank you all for the input :)

So, now all i have to do is figure out what fork so bolt on the danm thing...I currently have a TFTuned (tim flooks) Psylo SL Tullio on there but am trying to sweet-talk myself into maybe buying a Reba Team... :sneaky:

AlexYuen

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
What??
WonderBoy said:
Hi there!

I´m currently contemplating selling my heckler and buying a Blur. But what model should I look at? I like the geometry of the heckler, but wouldn´t mind not having 130 in the rear.
I´m looking at these models: I can get a good deal on a 2004 "narrow-rear" blur.
I´m also looking at the 4X and the classic Blur with "Bigfoot-Rear". I´m not looking at the BLT as i don´t need the travel, and also not looking at the Blur XC as I think is is a little too race-oriented.

I´m concerned with the relative steep headangle on the classic Blur (compared to the Heckler) so I´m considering putting a Pike on the front in 120mm mode as it may be able to give it more stability. On the other hand the quite slack headangle on the 4X may be way too slack for XC riding...Any thoughts on that one?

Are there huge difference in stiffnes between the two models?

I´m going to use it for non-racing XC, some trail and maybe a little jumping.
If you like the Heckler, you should consider the Nomad.

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
genpowell71 said:
Ugg me no understand you.

5 spot is an all around better bike and can take the pounding from light freeriding. BUT if you dont believe me, ask someone that has owned and ridden one. And if you arent convinced about that then stick with a Heckler, its what I'm buying this fall.
I don't understand you... you say a 5 Spot is all around better than a Blur. Which model of Blur? And then you say buy a Heckler???

I have ridden all the above mentioned bikes, have you? What are you basing your opinions on?

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
Back from my sunset ride so I'll add some more to my opinion.

I have also ridden a Turner Six-Pack, in the dirt, for miles like the other bikes, not a parking lot test.

Turners are light, 1st quality crafted and high bling but they still have a single pivot chainstay just like my Giant AC or a VT or Heckler and many others. I think the ride quality of the six pack wasn't any better than my AC. It maybe a little lighter and maybe stiffer and alot more expensive.

The Blur Classic, LT, 4X and XC all have VPP. Different? Yes. Better? Maybe. I like it, you may not.

Intense pays Santa Cruz for VPP technology for a reason. DW-Link and Giant Maestro also use muti-pivot chainstays because they think it works too.

So please tell us what you know.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
turner six packs and five spots are not single pivot, they are fsr horst link's. 2 pivots on the chain stay.

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
yes, but the pivot at the chain/seat stay does not alter axle path. You know what I'm talkin bout :D The chainstay still pivots like the venerable Bullit :thumb: