Quantcast

What are conditions at Wilson's ??

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
your right, you prob would trick more than me..good for you, but what I was typing up wasnt directed towards you or any of the other guys, it was to 1 person who just talks a lot of smack and thats why I put in the part about them putting their name with a chainsaw into a tree..and it wasnt you, and all of us mtn bikers need to also look at the COUNTLESS dirtbike riders that ride up and down canyons, they are loud and turn the ground up, easy to spot and they are reasons for its closing as well its no one person and no one thing, i hate its gone but im not going to stress over it. and also in no way was i being arrogant in that..just stating a point, dont really see why you got all defensive about that, as I can say again..that comment was not towards you

That brings up a story I heard from one of the locals at the bottom of the hill one day. He was talking about how he used to ride up the trail with his girlfriend on the back of his dirt bike to get some drinks at the top. Then when they were nice and liquored up they would (try to) ride back down to his house. That trail has been used for like 15 years by all of the real locals down in the valley for various reasons, as well as us downhillers. It's not going anywhere. But maybe if a big group of people got organized enough, something could be worked out to get it legalized for everyone. It's been done in many other places before, so I don't see why it can't happen there.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Why don't all you guys come to Windrock and build stuff over here? We have 77,000 acres with 2700ft of shuttle-able vert. dying to have trail on it.

As Loo said we are going to have a good time on Saturday at the Rock for those not going to the Open.
That brings up a story I heard from one of the locals at the bottom of the hill one day. He was talking about how he used to ride up the trail with his girlfriend on the back of his dirt bike to get some drinks at the top. Then when they were nice and liquored up they would (try to) ride back down to his house. That trail has been used for like 15 years by all of the real locals down in the valley for various reasons, as well as us downhillers. It's not going anywhere. But maybe if a big group of people got organized enough, something could be worked out to get it legalized for everyone. It's been done in many other places before, so I don't see why it can't happen there.
DING! DING! DING!
What is the old saying? Something like:

"If you don't ever try, you will be guaranteed to fail 100% of the time!":thumb:

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
A little off topic but has anybody ridden Wilson ridge trail off of Brown mtn beech road, it looks to be bike legal on the map? If so which is the best direction to ride it and best place to start?

hotrodmarlin

Chimp
Oct 29, 2007
But maybe if a big group of people got organized enough, something could be worked out to get it legalized for everyone. It's been done in many other places before, so I don't see why it can't happen there.
imagine that...someone actually thinking of a solution to the problem :thumb:

I thought I'd comment on this before all the others get on here and say how it can't be done, liability, park service hates us, tried in the past and didn't work, blah blah blah. I normally just lurk around on here but I'm tired of reading all the negativity..... Bizutch said it- you are guaranteed to fail if you don't even try.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
A little off topic but has anybody ridden Wilson ridge trail off of Brown mtn beech road, it looks to be bike legal on the map? If so which is the best direction to ride it and best place to start?

I'm not sure how easy it is to link up the entire thing the way it shows up on the map. I think there has been some logging and stuff in the area but I know portions of it are good. The opposite end is what people refer to as "21 Jumps", which can access schoolhouse ridge. Both are legal routes slated for adoption by Boone Area Cyclists.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I'm not sure how easy it is to link up the entire thing the way it shows up on the map. I think there has been some logging and stuff in the area but I know portions of it are good. The opposite end is what people refer to as "21 Jumps", which can access schoolhouse ridge. Both are legal routes slated for adoption by Boone Area Cyclists.
Yup and to add to that, I think you would want to finish at brown mtb beech rd, given the lay of the land.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
By the way, I shot the forest service an email yesterday about Canyons, and received a nice voicemail this morning discussing the trail and a "we may be able to work something out" conclusion. Just call them up people! It's not hard

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
By the way, I shot the forest service an email yesterday about Canyons, and received a nice voicemail this morning discussing the trail and a "we may be able to work something out" conclusion. Just call them up people! It's not hard
got an email address? I feel like throwing out an e-hug.

Also, in regards to Canyons, does anyone...say Rob....have the ability to pull the GIS data from the county and create a Google Earth map for it so we can see how it all lies?

Kitsuma had a running battle with the landowner who owns both sides of the old Hwy 70 climb out. He blocked it with a locked gate with nasty signage about trespassing. The FS was patient and waited him out and now it's a greenway with access signs and info about where the private property is.

Clean crossing, clean road bed, volunteers....all going through private land.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina

Also, in regards to Canyons, does anyone...say Rob....have the ability to pull the GIS data from the county and create a Google Earth map for it so we can see how it all lies?

Kitsuma had a running battle with the landowner who owns both sides of the old Hwy 70 climb out. He blocked it with a locked gate with nasty signage about trespassing. The FS was patient and waited him out and now it's a greenway with access signs and info about where the private property is.

I sent it to teisenbraun@fs.fed.us

As for GIS data, we can definitely do that, no problem. Maybe Will or Mueller can do that since they both have access to GIS at App. As far as I know, it starts out on private property, then goes to county land (Caldwell) then onto Forest Service land at the bottom. It may end on private property as well at the very very bottom, but that should not be an issue. The problems are it is not an official trail where it is on forest land, and the private property at the top. Get that sorted out, promise Canyons restaurant lots of hungry bikers who also like beer, and its all good. And on top of all of that, to add to our argument is that all of the trail work that has happened there has been to increase sustainability and reduce erosion. Send some positive emails, get them thinking about and see what happens.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
awesome I am down for whatever needs to be done, meetings, emails, phone calls etc. We can't let people build janky ass ladders though.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus

screw you mountain folk and your 45 minutes climbs!!! ;)

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
Something on a dead stump of a tree that fell across a trail in a storm a couple years back on NON usfs land probably is better for the environment and any access situation than dumping beer trash out at the bottom of a trail access road. Sure, I may not hit some hucks, not my thing but, I'm just stoked to be out riding and hate to have opportunities taken away from us all. Sorry I was bitter over something many believe could have been likely prevented with a little research and care. I think we should all just work together to promote getting trail access figured out and provide opportunities for everyone. No one's going to get anywhere being pissed off, and its going to take cooperation and working together from everyone to help the scene progress in TCH. I apologize for bringing up the reason for the trail being closed, it was completely un-necessary and irrelevant to the thread and doesn't help our situaton. Happy shreddin!