Quantcast

What about a bike-related question to stop spammers from getting accounts?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Like a quiz like this:

Which company does not make bike forks:

- Marzocchi
- Rock Shox
- Manitou
- Ridemonkey

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
There are systems that will display hard to read image files of numbers and letters and you just type it in. Simple, all automated, only a bot cant do it.
I freakin' hate those things. I'm pretty much color blind and sometimes I can't see all the digits.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I dont understand the secure aspect of that; cant anyone who is hacking in copy the letters in?
Most of the spammers are bots that automagically complete forms and join to post one or 2 things. Those "security" features make it so that a real person has to be involved.

As chico pointed out tho, they are a royal pain in the ass, especially if you are color blind as many of them work on the same principles eye doctors use to see if you are color blind.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I freakin' hate those things. I'm pretty much color blind and sometimes I can't see all the digits.
Not only that but they are overkill in a lot of cases. If the spammers bot fails to sign up on a single forum they won't bother to work out why. There are thousands of other forums they can spam with no effort.

There are lots of ways to break the spammers bots that don't have accessability problems.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
yeah....... why is that?!
If they're too simple, programs/scripts could easily be written to "read" what is on them.

By making them complex and extremely variable from site to site, it prevents such programs from being written and widely circulated.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Slightly off topic, but I use a similar method to avoid scammers when selling online. I ask a simple question about the topic that whatever it is I'm selling relates to and you must answer in the subject line or I don't bother with your response. Scammers never read the whole listing so it seems to work pretty well.

For example when selling a bike "How many wheels are on a bicycle?" if the subject lines doesn't have the word or number 2 in it, I assume it's a scam.