Quantcast

Well, no new bike stuff for awhile...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
for the next few months I'll be assembling a new drum kit.

First order of business, the snare. I just ordered a 7" x 14" x 7/16" thick segment constructed shell made of bloodwood. (6 week lead time!).

It'll look like one of these shells:

But it's bloodwood, and it will have a tung oil finish, so the wood will look more like this:

I'll post pics of the process as it goes.

Edited for spelling atrocities...

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Siiiick. I'm starting to shop for a new (okay, first) drumkit. It's safe to say mine won't be that nice. I wouldn't deserve it anyway. Is a small custom builder making those shells for you? Does bloodwood contribute to a unique sound, or is more that it's pretty bloody red wood? I'm partial to vintage-y musical instruments myself, not that you asked.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Westy said:
Bloodwood? Bah, you should make drums from the skulls of your enemies.
I looked into that, I have plenty of skulls from my victories of times past.

However, the maelstrom of absolute destruction I leveled their villages with left most of the skulls burnt and brittle. Pretty much un-usable for drums.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Enginerd A2 said:
Siiiick. I'm starting to shop for a new (okay, first) drumkit. It's safe to say mine won't be that nice. I wouldn't deserve it anyway. Is a small custom builder making those shells for you? Does bloodwood contribute to a unique sound, or is more that it's pretty bloody red wood? I'm partial to vintage-y musical instruments myself, not that you asked.
Custom shell and drum builder, Global Drum Company:

http://www.globaldrumco.net/

Bloodwood is extremely hard, up there near ebony and ironwood. This makes for a louder and sharper sound. Not as pretty as maple and even louder and sharper than birch, etc.

The rest of the kit will be 8 and 10 ply birch shells from Keller, stained black w/ a tung oil finish.

Some of the hardware will be from Ego Drum Supply:

http://www.egodrumsupply.com/flattop.html

All in black chrome.

Oh, it's gonna be tits.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Yeah, you don't f___ around. But then, you are a professional. Keep us posted on its progress.

*I won't borrow posting my little Gretsch basement rockstar wannabe kit anywhere near this thread.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Potroast88 said:
Just out of curiosity, and if I'm not prying too much, how much does something like that cost?
WAY less than if I was to buy the finished kit from someone. This shell will be one of the most expensive components - $145 (including finished edges)

All said and done the four piece kit will be around $1400 and change.

The quotes I got for a less than ideal kit from most custom drum companies was in the neighborhood of $2500+ :help:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Transcend said:
Also, spend $20 on a new halo headset that doesn't need friggin' zipties. I saw a sweet wireless one the other day BTW. I may grab it.
Dude, the thing works fine. (when I can find it)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Enginerd A2 said:
*I won't borrow posting my little Gretsch basement rockstar wannabe kit anywhere near this thread.
Post up, those are the best kinds of kits.

Right now I play a 1988 Tama Granstar Custom in piano black (what's left of the finish anyway)

I also have a GMS Grand Master Series snare, honey maple finish. It's very nice, but it has always lacked some huevos.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Westy said:
Bloodwood? Bah, you should make drums from the skulls of your enemies.
Bah. Everybody knows that you make drinking vessels from the skulls of your enemies.

and a :drool: for H8Rs drums.

When are you guys playing So Cal? If you do, bring your bike, and your enemies skulls.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
A dude I know built a snare drum recently. It's over at my guitar players' house. That thing sounds AWESOME. Unbelievable. Have fun building your kit :thumb:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ciaran said:
When are you guys playing So Cal? If you do, bring your bike, and your enemies skulls.
Lets' see...it's 2006 now...and um..

I dunno, we're in hiding writing a new record.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stinkyboy said:
You know you want it!

It's like Bill Wyman rolled off the couch after passing out in the suit he wore to a funeral.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Wow those are really pretty... Don't you take your drums on the road a lot though? I said to myself a long time ago that I would never buy another set of pretty wood drums again. I had some burl oak drums at one point... the first time they got gouged I about threw up. The set I play now sound absolutely perfect, but after years of going from point A to point B and back they have recieved many a nick, scratch, gouge, etc.

Case in point: Cains Ballroom, gear was being transferred from stage A to new smaller stage B in the room next door that is now Bob's Bar (Connected to cains) via doors by the merch. table. Upon arriving on stage B the person transferring said drum sat it on its side and turned to make room for it. The drum rolled off the stage and landed on the glazed concrete that is the dance floor... thanks to the approx 1" thick fiberglass shell it just bounced a few times and made a really ugly noise.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
golgiaparatus said:
Wow those are really pretty... Don't you take your drums on the road a lot though? .
My old kit shows it, but no, we don't really tour anymore.

These will be my home/studio drums.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
golgiaparatus said:
One day, one day I will be able to justify having "home/studio drums". Until then I'll just stick with the old... "damn those are ugly, but they sure do sound sweet" :)
Well, I've had the same kit for 14 years, and it shows. I didn't use it for recording our last two records, it is just to banged up and finicky for studio work. It's a great live kit, loud as hell.

I looked at re-furbishing it, and after some math I realized that building from scratch wasn't much more, and less than a new kit.

And besides, I need a reason to buy a Dunnett strainer....

:drool: