Quantcast

Well, my 661 body armor works...

burly50

Where the hell is everyone?
May 13, 2006
Westtown, NY
Went to Diablo today. Had a funny feeling about being there, just like I did 2 years ago when I broke my back. Any way, made one run and started to feel more comfortable. Go for my second run, get to the bottom of Alpine where the trail ends on the straight "service road" section and BAM! I go over the bars as if someone jammed a stick in my front wheel. I still can't figure out what happened.
I landed on my right shoulder(on rocks), then my head(helmet) slammed into some more well placed rocks, my body "crunched" and I ended up on my back with a hard thud.
Initial inventory check revealed that there was no major physical damage, I could see straight with no woozy feeling, just a bunch of pain. When I sat up to wait for the real pain to begin I checked my helmet which popped off my head on impact because I had the strap loose enough to remove the helmet with out undoing the strap. All I can say is, if I had a x-country helmet on, I wold probably need facial recronstructive surgery. My face has some bruising and scrapes on the side and under my eye. If I had no helmet, I would be dead. The rear, top of my head has a huge lump and a good size abrasion (BIG headache). Thank you Specialized for such great full face lid. A lid that is trashed. The inner hard styrofoam almost came completely out of the outter shell, which has half the paint it came with.
My right shoulder has bad scrapes and some swelling, but did not pop out(I have a problem with both shoulders dislodging on impacts). The scrapes are from chafing under the pads.
Here's the best part. I slammed my back very hard. Aside from a slight soreness from my body folding farther than it meant to, there was no damage to my back and tail bone. Thank you, thank you so much 661.
Oh yeah, my ribs are bruised from the way that I rolled. X-rays and CAT scans revealed no abnormalities in my chest, ribs and head.
I can't say enough about the importance of wearing good quality, properly fitted protective gear. The armor only cost $100 at GreenFish. The shin/knee gaurds were around $50. When I broke my back I wasn't wearing any protection but a full face helmet. That ordeal cost $47,000 and 3 months out of work.
Sorry for the ramble, (Vicodin is a hell of a drug) but I haven't been here in a while an I wated to let everyone who doesn't wear the protective gear know that it really does work. If it cost 5 times the money, it would still be worth it. Ride safe guys and girls. None of us like to hear the horror stories. I consider myself lucky that I am ok, and fortunate that I was smart enough to learn from my previous mistake.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Its always nerve racking when your about to crash, you cant do anything about it, and all you can think about is you still dont know for sure if your gear is going to work.

Glad to hear your nto broken

burly50

May 13, 2006
Westtown, NY
Its always nerve racking when your about to crash, you cant do anything about it, and all you can think about is you still dont know for sure if your gear is going to work.

Glad to hear your nto broken
Thanks for the support. Actually, I didn't really get much time to realize that I was about to eat poo. I couldn't even get the words "oh crap" out before iwas over.
I still can't figure out how or why it happened. I looked over the area, saw where my shoulder excavated the ground. There was nothing there that should have caused it. Front wheel has a slight wobble now, bars are a little tweaked, brake lever moved on the bar, but no real damage to the bike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of times on my previous bike. Once was at diablo, once at whiteface, couple other times scattered about. Ended up with a 1.5" long and .5" deep laceration on my upper thigh, only inches from my "best qualities".

I think it had something to do with the massive trail on the avy fork. The front wheel would just scoot out from under me and I'd go OTB. Never found a reasonable explanation. The other option might be a too short TT and too far over the handlebars. Too much weight on the front wheel and when you hit a rock that puts a lot of horizontal movement on it, you flop over...? I don't know.

burly50

May 13, 2006
Westtown, NY
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of times on my previous bike. Once was at diablo, once at whiteface, couple other times scattered about. Ended up with a 1.5" long and .5" deep laceration on my upper thigh, only inches from my "best qualities".

I think it had something to do with the massive trail on the avy fork. The front wheel would just scoot out from under me and I'd go OTB. Never found a reasonable explanation. The other option might be a too short TT and too far over the handlebars. Too much weight on the front wheel and when you hit a rock that puts a lot of horizontal movement on it, you flop over...? I don't know.
Well, my Slope Style is on the smaller side for me, and I am on the heavy side of mountain bking (heavy side of any thing really), but there was nothing on the trail that would have upset the front end. Plus, I was preparing to raise the front to manual over about a 1 foot high roller instead of letting it buck me up. So my weight was back. This is where it gets funky in my memory. Ready to manual and whamo, I'm getting dry humped by mother earth.
I'm not going to stress over the wreck any more, it's just frustrating when I can't put the pieces together. I'm a very analytical person so I tend to latch on to problems such as this.
I appreciate the concern and the helpful suggestions as to what could have gone wrong. Thanks folks.:thumb:

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I checked my helmet which popped off my head on impact because I had the strap loose enough to remove the helmet with out undoing the strap. .
I'm far from a gear nazi, but helmets are supposed to stay on your head when you crash. You're lucky it wasn't worse. Don't trade safety for convenience. Pull your f-ing strap tight. Jesus.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Have to agree with Sundaydoug...strap your helmet on every time...the deviant conforms to the astm 1952 standars which cover repetitive hits...you'd probably have no bruising had it been strapped down right...but you need a new helmet anyways, so you get the joy of picking a new one out.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Here's a photo of my buddy Bobby from back in September/October of last year.

He opted to go with convenience of getting his helmet on and off and left the d-rings/strap of his helmet nice and loose. Then he ate it. The helmet peeled back. Broke his nose and fractured his maxilla.

He was on a liquid diet for 2 months and just back in May got his feeling back in his two front teeth area.

Last edited:

burly50

May 13, 2006
Westtown, NY
I definitely agree with you guys about the helmet. I will be sinching it down from now on. Scary thing when the helmet leaves the head. I could have been rolling down the hill further with no head protection after that point.:shocked:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Good to hear you are OK! My pressure suit has served me well, and it's taken quite a beating. I've been through a couple MX helmets as well. It's good to know it's there when you need it, the hardest part is putting it on, and putting it on properly!