Quantcast

Well, it looks like I'm going to the highest school east of the Mississippi!

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
Lees McRae has a pretty nice slalom course, and you aren't far from wilson's and most of the good stuff

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
congrats mang! their coach was scoping out noah at the Sugar Mtn Nationals in '07...said if he was still riding/racing in high school to give him a call ;)

be careful though...i think the local po-po have an ordinance against white boys bumping gangsta rap in their subies ;) :D

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
congrats mang! their coach was scoping out noah at the Sugar Mtn Nationals in '07...said if he was still riding/racing in high school to give him a call ;)

be careful though...i think the local po-po have an ordinance against white boys bumping gangsta rap in their subies ;) :D
Nice! I haven't talked to the LMC coaches yet but warren wilson has wanted me for a while. That place is weird though.. :twitch:

And at least my subie will blend in a little up there.:thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Warren Wilson is a 10 minute drive to Asheville. From Warren Wilson, you can be in Bent Creek parking lot in 20 minutes and get an education that is highly touted. Lees McRae is 30 minutes to Boone. The education you get at Lees McRae allows you to say you went to school down the road from ASU. Both are colleges sure, but nobody goes to either for the education, just the amenities. :thumb:

But what's this about D-1 cycling? I could put that school in my pocket. ASU is not even D1 in regular athletics. Is cycling different?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Warren Wilson is a 10 minute drive to Asheville. From Warren Wilson, you can be in Bent Creek parking lot in 20 minutes and get an education that is highly touted. Lees McRae is 30 minutes to Boone. The education you get at Lees McRae allows you to say you went to school down the road from ASU. Both are colleges sure, but nobody goes to either for the education, just the amenities. :thumb:

But what's this about D-1 cycling? I could put that school in my pocket. ASU is not even D1 in regular athletics. Is cycling different?
Yeah, we're just that good.:cool:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2008-05-05-lees-mcrae-cycling_N.htm
After dominating Division II for several years, the school moved up to the top level in 2006 and now competes with big universities, such as Colorado and Georgia, with enrollments that top 30,000.

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
Butch- ASU will be D1 this coming year as well but its through school size although, our cycling team is pretty strong now I'd say. LMC has it going on as far as training for riding, sure, a 20 minute car ride isn't a lot but, having xc trails in the back yard and great road riding without having to get in traffic like LMC has is great. We make the trip over that way regularly to ride since its the closest xc to Boone and it still sucks when you ride daily. I just hope you aren't going there for an education :D

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Butch- ASU will be D1 this coming year as well but its through school size although, our cycling team is pretty strong now I'd say. LMC has it going on as far as training for riding, sure, a 20 minute car ride isn't a lot but, having xc trails in the back yard and great road riding without having to get in traffic like LMC has is great. We make the trip over that way regularly to ride since its the closest xc to Boone and it still sucks when you ride daily. I just hope you aren't going there for an education :D
Yeah I got to ride the DS track and the jumps for about an hour yesterday. Theres a lot of stuff out there by the gym! And as far as academics go, Im probably going to take all my basics there then transfer to app to focus on a major. I hadn't heard about app going D1 though. Nice! :thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
App State is a pretty small college too. Man, I regret going to Western Carolina instead. Picked it b/c it was remote and thought it would keep me from partying my degree away at a place like UNC. Instead, WCU was among the top 10 party schools in the nation, but I rode my MTB 4-5 days a week there, so it all worked out.

I'd have had a much better dose of culture at App State.

And DSapp, even I would kill to do the road loops in that area. I've got tons out my door here, but nothing like that stuff. To think, I could ride out the front door of my office on my road bike and in 30 seconds, be on the BRP straight up to Blowing Rock and never a traffic light.

We have it good in Western N.C. :thumb: