Quantcast

weird noise ?

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
ok.

so i get home from vacation.

I wana ride a bit so i pull out the bike.With the new fork.Fork been never used.I wana break it in.....

So i start pedaling and i weird this discusting noise coming from my shock.So i pump it up.Helped the the noise comes after more then half the travel compressed.So i check my setting.There fine.I check my shaft and piston.Both fine.I check for leaks and such.fine aswell.

I really got no clue wat it coud be in the shock.

Btw. its a 5th element on a v10.

Wat i trully think it is that the fork is to stiff still so wen i jump around on it its the shock that compress's cause the fork is to new and it rakes the head angle so much.That the shock gets to a certain point at the end and makes a funny noise.

coud someone help me out?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
What does the noise sound like, metallic grinding, sucking, squeaking...

It's probablly just the fluid in your shock, my 5th element made lots of different noises and a few weeks later the compression damping blew.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
like a mixture of deep very deep sounding sucking with a little sqweak.

It seems to have gone away.And i borrowed my frends pump to pump just in case to see if was actually getting air to it.And ya its full of air for my weight.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Like I said, mine made noises, squeaking, swishing, sucking. Mostly when I hadn't ridden for several days, shortly after the compression damping blew. If you've had your shock about a year consider it time to send it in for service.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Its 2 weeks old.I dont want to send my shock away.Because i wana ride my bike.My old fifth element on my bullit blew.And it was a pain in the ass.

I dont wana mess up me season!

I guess my best bet.Is to call progressive and talk with one of them.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
No it doesn't supper.But it sounds like something is rubbing somewhere.This noise wasn't here wen i had my old fork.Wen i put on my new fork.I coudn't ride the bike.Then for a week.I come home.And bang that noise comes and starts itching and picking at me.

I need to call progressive.

And wen you compress it you can actually almost feal were it makes this noise.But its so weird cause the shaft and piston is perfect no oil no where the coil isn't rubbing nothing.I have more air pressure in it then normally.My same settings.

Just piss's me off cause i finally had the bike all built and running correcly and wam the damn shock desides to piss all over me.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Here's an idea...

put your fingers inbetween the coil, get someone to sit on your bike and see what happens!

...hahaha...just kidding.

Could be anything, my Romic shock makes noise. I say ride it until it blows up...if it blows up at all.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I like the idea of putting your fingers between the coils. :D

Are you sure it's the shock making noise not something else rubbing, maybe a cable housing is flexing and rubbing somewhere, it seems like V10's are known for chronic loosening of the linkage bolts, are you sure they are all tight, are you sure they're not over tightened.

If you're not willing to send the shock in for service and you're not willing to think it's something else then how can any of us help you?

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Kornphlake said:
I like the idea of putting your fingers between the coils. :D

Are you sure it's the shock making noise not something else rubbing, maybe a cable housing is flexing and rubbing somewhere, it seems like V10's are known for chronic loosening of the linkage bolts, are you sure they are all tight, are you sure they're not over tightened.

If you're not willing to send the shock in for service and you're not willing to think it's something else then how can any of us help you?

Im not willing to send it to progressive yet.Since its not blown.

Hum the thing with linkage makes sense.Shoud check that woud.Rubbing coud make allot of sense.

Thats for the ideas!

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Bring it to your LBS and have them take a look. This kind of thing is very hard to diagnose on the internet, especially when it appears English is your second language.