Quantcast

weds greetings and salutations thread

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Cost savings and the little bit of weight saved could bump up the MPG ratings a point. First thing I did with my new car is find a jack and spare for it. I spend way too much time on dirt roads with no cell service to rely on getting help with a phone call.
Yeah any sort of back road type thing and you'll be hosed without a spare. Plus, who wants to wait for a tow truck or some service to come help?

I've looked at some cars and there's no upfront notice that there is no spare, which could easily be forgotten about when browsing. Or some cars try to sell it as a bonus of having a can of fix-a-flat crap - yeah that'll really help when you blow a hole in the side wall.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
pretty sure in hybrids like mine (and maybe @Toshi's van) that space is taken up with batteries. makes me hella nervous tho.
Apparently a spare can fit in the back left wall of the cargo area in Pacificas:

Mine has a small compartment there but not of that size! I think I stuck a tiny jumpstart battery in there + the level 1 EVSE. The hybrid traction pack actually lives under the 2nd row seats in the PacHy--it did displace something (the fold into the floor second row seats) but not the spare tire in this instance. Instead it was a separate packaging decision that did away with it.

edit: apparently the 12V battery was relocated from under the hood to part of this back-left compartment, thus no room for the spare. So it was a hybrid victim, albeit indirectly.

Last edited:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Afternoon. Another day on the field...it was a warm one so water games were in play. Love seeing so many girls out there playing field hockey!

Grilled some ribeyes last night and corn. twas yummy.

Gymnastics later - mtb ride time for me :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
first post covid ride in the books. lunch ride. 11 miles on the roadie at the rail trails. did a mellow pace, but was still avg 16mph.

have acquired fresh tree house beer. mmmm.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Always find out what kind of person your supervisors are when you tender your resignation. I've been lucky to have 2/3 wish me all the best and I departed on good terms with an open invitation to return.
True, although I've watched this guy act like a child many times over the years every time somebody else resigned. He was also usually the reason why they were resigning in the first place.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Just got word from Teh Spousal Unit™ that she is out of the wilderness safely, and my truck was not stolen from it's drop point. They're currently "at the fanciest place paying way too much for food" in Gateway, CO. They started in Telluride, and rode five days spending the night in a different hut each night for four nights.

TruckNotStolen.jpg

This was the route, including alternate options each day.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Just got word from Teh Spousal Unit™ that she is out of the wilderness safely, and my truck was not stolen from it's drop point. They're currently "at the fanciest place paying way too much for food" in Gateway, CO. They started in Telluride, and rode five days spending the night in a different hut each night for four nights.

View attachment 178421

This was the route, including alternate options each day.
nothing better than being married to badass women

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Bike riding dates never quite work out like you would hope they would. I cannot recommend. I knew the bugs would be bad. And yet I still did not prepare for that. Agreed upon parameters were not upheld also.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Bike riding dates never quite work out like you would hope they would. I cannot recommend. I knew the bugs would be bad. And yet I still did not prepare for that. Agreed upon parameters were not upheld also.
No happy ending?

Story time.
For years I had reported directly to one of the partners. We were/are friends and got along fine. At some point the four partners decided that he would directly work for a big customer and that they would hire someone to manage/supervise the customer support (system monitoring, updates, installation/repair/replacement, capacity modeling...). The person that they hired was an incompetent bureaucratic idiot.

When I returned from my quarter off, having given my notice, I just wouldn't give Zoltan an inch. When he did or said something stupid, I'd call him on it, in public, with everyone in adjacent offices and cubicles listening. He was dismissed before I departed.

I also wrote some memos to the partners, with unfiltered commentary on what, in my opinion, the company was doing well and not well. These were received with some discomfort.

My job in that quarter, as I defined it was to have the right folks know where information was, how I did things, and make sure that someone was set up to fill any role I had played. I departed on good terms with everyone.

About a month after I left I got a call from someone on call looking for information. I gave them the information and asked that they inform the partners that from that point onward I would bill them $350/hour, one hour minimum, for similar calls. I never got another.