Quantcast

--Wednesday's Ride Thread--

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Anyone tear it up last night? Anyone heading out tonight?

Did the shop road ride last night. Crashby's first time on a road bike in 20 years. On the first hill, he shifted to a MTB-style climbing gear and got dropped. He was a quick learner though, and never lost touch with the paceline after that. This dude showed up for the ride who had major game, and the 3 of us (me, Crashby, and the fast dude) put the hammer down hard on a flat section. Unfortunately the 4th rider in the group wasn't up for that pace and we never saw him again. When the smoke cleared we had done 33 miles at 18.1 mph. Crashby doesn't even know how to work a road bike properly and he's already fast as hell :eek:

Tonight there's a local race, if the weather's good I might try to suffer through it on the SS. Last time I did this race I broke my rear axle, so maybe not :dead:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Nice! :thumb: I wondered how Crashby would fare! No riding for me last night :( Worked on the bike instead. Got it all cleaned, put my new SRAM rear der. & shifters on and have to change my tires tonight.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Echo said:
Did the shop road ride last night...

Unfortunately the 4th rider in the group wasn't up for that pace and we never saw him again.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a shop ride supposed to keep everyone in a group and not lose anybody?

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
Did a little urban last night and scratched the hell out of my new fork. I think it's jinxed, I've had bad bike luck ever since it arrived. Oh well, as long as it doesn't carry over to my other bike for Dalton.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I Are Baboon said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a shop ride supposed to keep everyone in a group and not lose anybody?
We stopped and waited for him for a long time... he was the only one of the group that works at the shop, so in the interest of finishing the ride during the daylight hours, we decided he could find his way back to the shop. We normally don't lose anyone.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Echo said:
We stopped and waited for him for a long time... he was the only one of the group that works at the shop, so in the interest of finishing the ride during the daylight hours, we decided he could find his way back to the shop. We normally don't lose anyone.
Gotcha.

Getting dropped and left for dead is the reason I don't have the balls to try a shop road ride.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I Are Baboon said:
Gotcha.

Getting dropped and left for dead is the reason I don't have the balls to try a shop road ride.
Just take someone with you and agree to stay together, that way you can work together to reel the group back in if needed. Also if you let the group know you want a slower pace they will probably oblige.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
DHS said:
so did you ever find the guy you dropped?
When we got to a place where we were turning on to another road, we stopped and waited for like 20 minutes. I talked to Vic this morning and he said the dude made it back.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:
Gotcha.

The group rides I do, there always has been a designated sweeper to pick up the dead bodies that couldnt hang :p

Tonight I'm going to Dalton and get my arse kicked.

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
I "tore it up" last night @Apex. Very nice ride that I haven't done in years, up through enchanted forest, then down around the other loop with the view of town. timed it just right so there were very few on the trail for my downhill, and I had just enough light to get through. :thumb:

Only issue is it seems some of the newer mountain bikers don't know how to yield to the uphill rider. I can't imagine what they are doing to hikers. Represent us well, people, trail access is not guaranteed.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
KobaltBlau said:
Only issue is it seems some of the newer mountain bikers don't know how to yield to the uphill rider. I can't imagine what they are doing to hikers. Represent us well, people, trail access is not guaranteed.
Seriously. I would love to see a shop with the balls to make people join IMBA when they buy a mountain bike that costs more that $500.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Might hit up durand today, if not I am probably going to saddle up and ride the road out towards hamlin beach...and see how far I make it. Althought it would be much nicer if I had a road bike...maybe I'll throw some slicks on to make it a little easier on myself.

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
I rode the trails. It was hot. Thinking I might become a roadie for the summer. At least there will be a breeze.
I got a message from Todd, and we need to find a time to get down there to get your damper.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Did about an hour and half on the trails last night, hoping to hit it again tonight or tomorrow.

And are you kidding? Most shop rides have more competitiveness than a local crit.

But I've gotten over getting dropped. The best way to get better is to ride with better riders, but if you do, it's inevitable you will be off the back from time to time.