Quantcast

***Wednesday GMT***

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
@stoney - how did the DougCo school board election turn out? Looks like my county decided to go the non-moran route this time around. <whew>
All the Morans are Here.

No results for El Paso county races are up yet because apparently our County Clerk went full Big Lie an hour after polls closed to claim that the Sec of State is fiddling with the results.

In completely unrelated news, our local fascist rag, teh Gazette, is claiming "sweeping victories for conservatives" is the local school board elections.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
All the Morans are Here.

No results for El Paso county races are up yet because apparently our County Clerk went full Big Lie an hour after polls closed to claim that the Sec of State is fiddling with the results.

In completely unrelated news, our local fascist rag, teh Gazette, is claiming "sweeping victories for conservatives" is the local school board elections.
Sounds like your wife got out (is gettin' out?) just around the right time... :disgust:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Hey @6thElement and @Nick , anything rideable these days up in your parts? Or should I stay down here on the lowlands and chill
I'd think everything is MONEY right now. we've had moisture up high by 6th. Apex is probably great. I just rode WR last week and it was stellar. Everything is rideable, for sure. Work less. Ride more.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
A whole bunch of you exit-Monkeys should band together and buy all the 1-euro properties in an abandoned Italian mountain town.

Città delle Scimmie.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm feeling so old right now. My phone updated and now my stuff is all weird and I'm so angry. I'm yelling at the clouds, dammit.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You can rent fully furnished apartments in the French Alps for a grand. Same with Tuscany. I haven't checked the Austrian Alps, but it doesn't surprise me much that it's affordable.

And the food's *light years* better. :disgust:
But no FREEDOM!!!

I mean, you Colorado monkeys can't complain. There are hardly any biking spots in Europe that are as scenic as what you have. If they are good they are overrun by people. For me that was the biggest shock moving back to Europe from Oregon: there is hardly any place to go where you do not meet some goddam people. Really remote areas are rare unless you are at the outskirts of Europe.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> There are hardly any biking spots in Europe that are as scenic as what you have. If they are good they are overrun by people.
You mean... just like here? :D

<snip> there is hardly any place to go where you do not meet some goddam people. Really remote areas are rare unless you are at the outskirts of Europe.
So just like Colorado... :disgust:

I mean, I know of a lot of remote places where *I* will not meet many people... but there are fewer all the time.

And I will *not* tell anyone about them.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You mean... just like here? :D
First they have to be as scenic. ;)

So just like Colorado... :disgust:

I mean, I know of a lot of remote places where *I* will not meet many people... but there are fewer all the time.

And I will *not* tell anyone about them.
See, this is the difference. There are not many truly remote places left here.

I think our definitions of "crowded" are different.
Because of work I only had the opportunity to ride McKenzie River Trail (OR) on a holiday weekend when I first had moved there. Colleagues warned me how overrun it would be. I was so eager to see it that I decided to ride it anyway. I met 50-60 people all day outside of areas within a mile of the parking lots. And even these were generally rideable. A popular hiking trail in the Alps...on a holiday weekend...forget about it!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
in my favorite part of pisgah (not the part near brevard) i will often go an entire ride without encountering another rider. occasional cars going by on the forest roads. busy days? 10-12 other riders max. you might see some hikers if you use the more accessible/popular trails.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I would imagine trail conditions are pretty premo, very limited moisture up here just a little to tamp down the dust.
I'd think everything is MONEY right now. we've had moisture up high by 6th. Apex is probably great. I just rode WR last week and it was stellar. Everything is rideable, for sure. Work less. Ride more.
I did a Mountain Lion loop. Did not see a single person on the trail. Dirt was excellent.

45 Freedoms is getting chilly with just a shell!

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
irider said:
I mean, you Colorado monkeys can't complain. There are hardly any biking spots in Europe that are as scenic as what you have.
Lol — You’re joking right? Seriously?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I mean, you Colorado monkeys can't complain. There are hardly any biking spots in Europe that are as scenic as what you have.
^this guy worships the god of crooked american frames and flame stickers just fyi

zermatt

I mean I guess you could consider that ugly and this being the idea of mtb 'scenery'

but that ain't 'colorado'

That's straight up socal cheeseball. Kinda like some frames I can think of.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
mine is a link to further happiness

I win

Go on.

click it

instant happy
well that was disappointing. i was certain it would lead me to a site where i could sign up to join teamrobot's youth group squad. or the anti rolling grade dip facebook group. or at least the imperialstoutaholicsanonymous hotline. c'mon man, up your game. you're probably throwing some carbon bars from jensonusa in your cart as i type. just be sure to include the extra sunblock. it's only a few bucks more.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
well that was disappointing. i was certain it would lead me to a site where i could sign up to join teamrobot's youth group squad. or the anti rolling grade dip facebook group. or at least the imperialstoutaholicsanonymous hotline. c'mon man, up your game. you're probably throwing some carbon bars from jensonusa in your cart as i type. just be sure to include the extra sunblock. it's only a few bucks more.
no

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Traffic going to ride stresses me out
Parking at a lot of local riding places stresses me out
The first mile of trail from most places stresses me out as they are full of morons and weirdos.

Generally everything is cool after that. Rarely see people after the jackass zone and those I do are chill or rare enough to not bother.

Unfortunately there are a lot of places I avoid that may be fun to ride on occasion because of crowds

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
^this guy worships the god of crooked american frames and flame stickers just fyi
You had one of those frames too. ;)

zermatt

but that ain't 'colorado'

That's straight up socal cheeseball. Kinda like some frames I can think of.
Frames with boobs???? :eek: :brows:

Yeah, but have you been riding in the Alps? The riding is great and scenic, but there is hardly any place where you feel as remote as in places in the western US/Canada. For a non-local it was super easy to find trails in Oregon and Washington without insider knowledge that were great and not overrun. I do not have the same experience here in Europe.
Just have a look at this and take an educated guess where the population density is higher?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You had one of those frames too. ;)

Frames with boobs???? :eek: :brows:

Yeah, but have you been riding in the Alps? The riding is great and scenic, but there is hardly any place where you feel as remote as in places in the western US/Canada. For a non-local it was super easy to find trails in Oregon and Washington without insider knowledge that were great and not overrun. I do not have the same experience here in Europe.
Just have a look at this and take an educated guess where the population density is higher?

I haven't ridden in the alps but you just said scenic, not less populated.

Looks like we should both move to Chile in my opinion.

I had TWO intense frames (3 technically but one wasn't supposed to exist).

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I haven't ridden in the alps but you just said scenic, not less populated.

Looks like we should both move to Chile in my opinion.

I had TWO intense frames (3 technically but one wasn't supposed to exist).
You are right, maybe for me the Alps are more "normal" and that is why I like the more "exotic" places.

I would so move to Chile. Two of my colleagues that I ride bikes with here in DK kinda invited me to get a tour from them at one point when they are there for a visit as well. Moving permanently to Chile as a German has a somewhat bad reputation though. ;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It is not only about Nazis, but also this kinda related shit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonia_Dignidad
that is literally, exactly what I was talking about :rofl:

Here's some fun on the subject