Quantcast

Webhosting

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I have done a few searches but I havent found anything. I need something cheap, less than $7.50 a month, and it has to have GREAT customer service and support. I dont need too much space. Thanks!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
just out of curiosity... why do you need great service/support? Are you expecting to crash their server?

FWIW... I've had good luck with godaddy. Their website hosting is good, their mail "hosting" sucks. Service is good, though sometimes takes 48 hours or so to get a response. In the 2 or so years I've been using them, I've never had a site go down (I have 2 sites with them - a basic one about me, and a site similar to RM).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I have done a few searches but I havent found anything. I need something cheap, less than $7.50 a month, and it has to have GREAT customer service and support. I dont need too much space. Thanks!
Won't happen. You get one or the other. Liquid web has pretty much the best customer service going. They have plans for shared hosting between $15-25 I believe.

Support (either 24/7 phone support or email) is always responded to within 1hr. I have never had an issue last longer than 1 hour on the dozens of sites i have hosted with them.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
just out of curiosity... why do you need great service/support? Are you expecting to crash their server?

FWIW... I've had good luck with godaddy. Their website hosting is good, their mail "hosting" sucks. Service is good, though sometimes takes 48 hours or so to get a response. In the 2 or so years I've been using them, I've never had a site go down (I have 2 sites with them - a basic one about me, and a site similar to RM).
Same here, I've got 4 different sites hosted with them. I usually call for support if I need it ( most problems have originated with Network Solutions and they've helped problem solve) I really like a) short wait and b) usa based support that can actually help.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I have had godaddy before and it was very confusing and I ended up just canceling my hosting through them. I want good support because if I cant figure something out I dont want it to take a week to get back with some stupid answer

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Who the heck actually uses those site builder gimmicks?
small companies that can't afford to pay the outrageous prices that someone like you charges :biggrin:

pair.com is my suggestion, but I don't think they quite meet your pricing requirement.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
small companies that can't afford to pay the outrageous prices that someone like you charges :biggrin:

pair.com is my suggestion, but I don't think they quite meet your pricing requirement.
touche good sir, touche. :D (no accents on this keyboard). Although, I have never seen a site that came out of those site builders that didn't look like an evil mixture of geocities and myspace.

Same with liquidweb. Great service, Cpanel management, fantastico etc, but they are twice his budget for the cheaper service.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
that doesn't look that bad at all. Most small companies would probably be satisfied with that.

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
www.DreamHost.com
Cheap and very effective since the 14 months I've signed with them. Never had an issue, never had a slowdown, uptime is excellent, their control panel use standard TCP port so I can access it from the office (HTTPS). 1Tb of bandwith, 20Gb of diskspace for 7$/month. PM me for info.

www.BurtonHosting.com
Their shared webhosting service sometime suffer from poor performance, but service is decent. I currently have 2 sites with them.

I've also hosted websites on many other providers, but so far, DreamHost seem to be my best bet for the price.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My current host:

superuser.net

Annual Plan: $85.95
($7.16/mo)*
28% OFF*
Quarterly Plan: $24.95
Monthly Plan: $9.95
Setup Fee: $0
Register&Renew: Incl.**
Control Panel: Incl.
Disk Space: 1750 MB
Monthly Traffic: 30 GB
Mailboxes: Unlimited
Sub-domains: Unlimited
MySQL db: 17

Dedicated IP: Yes
Telnet (SSH2): Yes
FTP access: Yes
FrontPage '03: Yes
Web Mail: Yes
Mailing lists: Yes
Web/FTP Stats: Yes
Shopping Cart: Yes

Additional Features included under all plans:
General Features:
» RedHat Linux and Apache 1.3.xx Web Server.
» PHP 4.3.x & MySQL 4.0.xx available.
» Access to Perl 5, C/C++, Python & Java 2.
» Private CGI-BIN directory for your domain.
» Number of pre-defined CGI programs, ability
to write or install your own CGIs.
» Server Side Includes (SSI).
» Unlimited page hits on all accounts and
unlimited web transfer on "Pro" accounts.
» 24/7 Telnet & FTP access to your account.
» Free technical support by e-mail, excluding
Html Design & Programming questions.
» Access to task scheduler (crontabs).
» Your own .htaccess files allows you to
customize Apache for your domain.
» Access to Linux utilities.
» Anonymous FTP server.
» Secure Server (SSL) account created
for your use by request.
» Account set up the same business day,
typically in 2 to 3 hours from your order.
» Possible uses: Private, Family or Business,
(commercial use allowed).
» Redundant network connection (BGP-4)
for maximum uptime.
» Daily backup.

Control Panel Features:
» Disk usage report.
» Current month's bandwidth usage report.
» E-mail: Add/Remove mailboxes, set default
mailbox, Web Mail or download to PC,
Unlimited autoresponders and forwarders,
Block e-mail (based on any header or body),
Listman - unlimited mailing lists,
Spam Assassin - get rid of most SPAM,
MX Entry Maintenance.
» Account: Change password,
add sub-domains, sub-domain stats,
anonymous FTP manager, create
customized error pages.
» Access: File Manager, password-protect
folders, Backup & Download, download
raw access log file, SSH2 Shell (Telnet) and
FTP access to all parts of your account.
» Advanced: Create MySQL database,
add crontabs, mime types, Apache handlers,
URL redirects, prevent HotLinks.
» Tools: Web/FTP stats, add chat
room, add pre-defined CGI scripts, shopping
carts, search engine submit, Front Page
98/2000/2002/2003 extensions, bulletin board,
manage OpenPGP keys... and more.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Take it from someone in the biz who has used dozens of different hosts over the years, you pay for good support, and $7.50/mo won't cut it.

That being said, in your budget, Dreamhost.com provides the best hosting service. They're a little slow with the support at times, but they're very dependable as far as budget hosts go.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Transcend -

The cool thing about that site builder that I haven’t seen anywhere else is that it’s 90% customizable. You don’t have to use the themes they provide. You can create a site from scratch. Check out some of the customer testimonial sites. Some of them actually put some real time into making them look good. But yeah, it limits a bit but WAY less than the majority.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Transcend -

The cool thing about that site builder that I haven’t seen anywhere else is that it’s 90% customizable. You don’t have to use the themes they provide. You can create a site from scratch. Check out some of the customer testimonial sites. Some of them actually put some real time into making them look good. But yeah, it limits a bit but WAY less than the majority.
while browsing the testimonials I came across this:

http://www.prisonheartcards.com/

simply awesome.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah I spend hours on the phone with that chick who made the site. She had never made a site before. Its not one of the best looking site, but she gets tons of business.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Take it from someone in the biz who has used dozens of different hosts over the years, you pay for good support, and $7.50/mo won't cut it.

That being said, in your budget, Dreamhost.com provides the best hosting service. They're a little slow with the support at times, but they're very dependable as far as budget hosts go.
Well, it's not like he has his life's business on there or anything mission critical. The kid can probably spend between 7 and 10 bucks a month and get more than he needs. Hell, he should probably be studying anyway. My friends hosting biz can supply more than he needs for 10 bucks a month.

Unless it's mission critical or a business no one needs to spend more than 10 bucks a month on web hosting.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Well, it's not like he has his life's business on there or anything mission critical. The kid can probably spend between 7 and 10 bucks a month and get more than he needs. Hell, he should probably be studying anyway. My friends hosting biz can supply more than he needs for 10 bucks a month.

Unless it's mission critical or a business no one needs to spend more than 10 bucks a month on web hosting.
I agree. He said he needed "GREAT" support. Dreamhost provides really good services, but their support isn't always "GREAT". My point was that you rarely get something "GREAT" for cheap...but he can likely get all he needs from Dreamhost.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I switched to http://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/ a while ago. You only pay for the data transfer and storage you use. My site is small and it's much much cheaper than paying monthly. $7.50 would keep my site going for at least a year.

If you fit in the lowest tier of the pay monthly model and never get near the limits paying for what you use should be a fair bit cheaper.