Quantcast

Wearing sunglasses \ protective glasses

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I know it might not be the right place but here I always get the best answers . :)
Question for the AM\Enduro riders here.
Do you wear sunglasses \ protective glasses for long rides?
I tried different types over the years , but It always get a bit stress behind the ears . At the begining of the ride its OK. It looks like the area behind the ears swell while riding \ effort .
and then the stress causes headaches...
it makes me ride without any protective on my eyes. and its bad. (last Friday I've got to the ER Because
of something in my eye...)
I hope you Understand what I mean. and Understand my English :)
Have any of you experienced this ?
Is there not tight glasses behind the ears ? (not googles)

thanks guys

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
Play with the angle of the part that sits behind your ear. To me, if they are too flat - rather than closely follow the shape of the head - I get similar problems as you describe. I've gotten help at my optician to get the angle right, but it really is down to figuring out where the glasses can and cannot press to avoid irritation and headaches.

Some rubber coated (by the ear) frames are better and don't have to be as profiled, but then again... some rubbery ones just make it hotter for me and not comfortable either. It is highly individual, so it's hard to give tips on specific brands/models. Just try out many after wearing glasses for a long time and you're more likely to feel if the ones you are testing out pressure that same 'bad spot' or not.

It's an absolute must for me to ride with glasses, no matter if it's AMish or XCish or road-riding. I've got clear glasses as well, for tricky-lighting days. Bugs in the eyes are not fun, and you get distracted which can lead to some really stupid mistakes at speed.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I'm probably no real help - I always wear prescription glasses, and some are better than others, but my advice is that it's something you get used to. I'm going on 25 years wearing glasses, from when I get up to when I go to bed, and don't have any problems.

See - no real help!

squiby

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010
I have the same issue. Some glasses are worse than others and for me it seems if the glasses apply pressure or grip lower behind my ear it will give me a head ache in about an hour. Glasses that sit on the ear or grip lightly above are good. Got some oakley jawbones on eBay that work nicely. :cool:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I wear Smith sunglasses I've had for a while now on every ride, the whole ride. Never had a problem. They are the same glasses I wear every day at work so...

Maybe try some Oakleys or something designed for sport.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i have somewhat of a strong prescription, so i have to ride with glasses.

sometimes i use me prescription sunglasses if it is sunny outside. its awesome, i looks supa fly out on the trail.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
well, I've formed the side arms with heat.
and tryed it yesterday.
it didnt gave me any headace, but, damn, its not comfortable to ride with sun\protected glasses....
I'll just use it for going down. :)

thanks guys.

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
Good to hear, Saruti. I agree that it has its downsides, but if you would try riding without them again after a while, you would start feeling that you cannot ride without them either. Watery eyes, bugs in the eyes, etc.

It has taken me a while wearing different glasses to narrow it down to specific lenses from certain brands as 'the best' (highly subjective, i.e. best for me). The disadvantage with the absolute best lenses are that they are more expensive and I thus wear glasses that are as cheap as I can find but still good enough (including shatter-protection) when I'm riding anything that could cause me to drop the glasses or smash branches into them.