Quantcast

We Are All Confident Idiots

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
this explains oh so much:rockout::rofl::rofl:

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health-and-behavior/confident-idiots-92793/

The American author and aphorist William Feather once wrote that being educated means “being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don’t.” As it turns out, this simple ideal is extremely hard to achieve. Although what we know is often perceptible to us, even the broad outlines of what we don’t know are all too often completely invisible. To a great degree, we fail to recognize the frequency and scope of our ignorance.

In 1999, in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, my then graduate student Justin Kruger and I published a paper that documented how, in many areas of life, incompetent people do not recognize—scratch that, cannot recognize—just how incompetent they are, a phenomenon that has come to be known as the Dunning-Kruger effect. Logic itself almost demands this lack of self-insight: For poor performers to recognize their ineptitude would require them to possess the very expertise they lack. To know how skilled or unskilled you are at using the rules of grammar, for instance, you must have a good working knowledge of those rules, an impossibility among the incompetent. Poor performers—and we are all poor performers at some things—fail to see the flaws in their thinking or the answers they lack.

What’s curious is that, in many cases, incompetence does not leave people disoriented, perplexed, or cautious. Instead, the incompetent are often blessed with an inappropriate confidence, buoyed by somethingthat feels to them like knowledge.

read the whole thing:thumb:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I think what would Steve do....
i think that you being a emt and a former fireman should fucking know better....but hey...if you ever cause a accident resulting in someones death...you'll do the honorable thing....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Experience has taught me that the most dangerous person, no matter how smart they are, is the person who thinks they are smarter than they actually are.

This also bolsters the confidence I have in with my constant self doubt.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
this explains oh so much:rockout::rofl::rofl:

What’s curious is that, in many cases, incompetence does not leave people disoriented, perplexed, or cautious. Instead, the incompetent are often blessed with an inappropriate confidence, buoyed by somethingthat feels to them like knowledge.

Well no ****.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This phenomenon is particularly strong in the venue of community music. There are a lot of people who really should have stopped playing their instrument after middle or high school. Picking it back up in middle age is doing no one a service.