Quantcast

WC dh #2 Champéry

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
donno if it was mentioned here yet (as i'm too lazy to re-read the last 1,000 pages), but apparently it was reported (on Littermag..com) that Sam had an off-the-bike crash where he had to run back up & get his bike... I can't imagine if he had been able to have a full "clean" run

Also super stoked to see Tracey Hannah on her first World Cup poidium i believe!
(note: Both Mick & Tracey placed 5th this weekend!)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
donno if it was mentioned here yet (as i'm too lazy to re-read the last 1,000 pages), but apparently it was reported (on Littermag..com) that Sam had an off-the-bike crash where he had to run back up & get his bike... I can't imagine if he had been able to have a full "clean" run
the story is already getting more fantastic. let's just say that i heard he was attacked by a french bear, scared it off with his steely gaze, and then resumed his race run...

:twitch:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
the story is already getting more fantastic. let's just say that i heard he was attacked by a french bear, scared it off with his steely gaze, and then resumed his race run...

I heard he got a massive gaping wound in his crash and before running back up to his bike, he took out his survival knife (a la Rambo: First Blood) sewed it up, then had to fight the evil french bear, then was off on his race run pinning it to a 3rd place "victory".

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I am surprised that the racers don't play the tactics game more. I mean it happens every year at least once...still doesn't explain Hill but for the rest of them...lol. Still would have been nice to have a consistant race track with all the Nico hype.

woffa04

Chimp
Jul 10, 2005
Australia

Well done Sam.. With those track conditions he did amazingly well. Also with one crash up the top he finished 1.63 seconds off matti's time. Just pure Amazing...

Cheers,

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
wow, this thread got long while i was away.

At 6:30am this morning Ska Todd woke the condo up yelling "Oh good lord." Figured it was in reference to his hangover, but was actually qualifying results.

Between practice runs the rest of the morning consisted of Todd sitting in the Mt. Snow parking lot getting text message updates from Switzerland and cell phone calls from Weagle reading him the internet posts so he could call out updates to the rest of us. . . . gotta love modern technology.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
wow, this thread got long while i was away.

At 6:30am this morning Ska Todd woke the condo up yelling "Oh good lord." Figured it was in reference to his hangover, but was actually qualifying results.

Between practice runs the rest of the morning consisted of Todd sitting in the Mt. Snow parking lot getting text message updates from Switzerland and cell phone calls from Weagle reading him the internet posts so he could call out updates to the rest of us. . . . gotta love modern technology.
Musta been between the weagle calls to me, was a busy morning for everyone it sounds like. good times. In 10 days we can all nurse hangovers together in the morning and no beeping texts.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
the position that hill was in was full attack!
look at where his jersey and pants are clean!
and the speed it it his body at!

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
sam's ride in the mud sounds legendary, there needs to be video of this somewhere... i can not wait to see it.

the top world cup guys are usually fighting tooth and nail for 10th's of a second, and as of late that is the difference between 1st and 5th.... the fact that sam pulls 14 in qualies is insane. peat and matti raced in the same conditions as hill's quali and still came up 10 seconds short in the final.

i think gee atherton summed up how amazing sam's ride was

quoted from decent-world
"Gee Atherton made the comment that if the conditions were wet for everyone he would have taken close to 45 seconds out of them! To think that Vouilloz rode in similar conditions and was over 5 minutes and Gee rode to a 5mins 29 sec puts into perspective how fast he rode. Phenomenal."

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Being stuck on the other side of the planet - pah!

The action via ridemonkey and the uci live timing was awesome. What a fantastic race!!

I thought the Montreal F1 was a gag-show but this was sublime. What drama!!

That photo of Sam g'd out and ripping in the mud was magnificent!!

Great to see Barel up there too!

k9handler

Monkey
Aug 19, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
just want to send a big thanks to everyone for bringing the info to us...I found myself glued to the updates yesterday and kicking myself asking why I didn't make the 6 hour drive south to watch the race.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Have a read of Dale's rant on his blog....

http://daleholmes.com/
That's good stuff! Dale is right the track was pure balls! However I think poor auld Phil Saxena was just given an immensly limited amount of land by the organisers and made the best of what he had. Phil was the first and last man up and down the 4x track from Tuesday to Saturday and tried his best to make the space and materials he was given work for him.

Dale is getting grumpy with his old age me thinks, like yourself Stik!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
did anyone notice that peat is running ultimates
Nice.
I bought some for my DH bike, first impressions are great. Work the same as juicy7's except much lighter.

Only thing is, they come with organic pads - but i've ordered some goodridge sintered pads, should rock after that.

amazing racing ... more than made up for the weather.
i've loaded a few pics up from a tough weekend shooting wise ... never spent so much time on my ass going up and down a course, wrist is swollen and bruised from one particular plummet down the side of the mountain.
http://www.flipper.co.za/gallery/Champery_2007/
going to try clean my rain gear and boots now .. and make sure camera equipment is good to go for next time ...
laters
gary

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
thanks flipper, super good shots on the 2nd page bike still going left but rider looking right.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
i've loaded a few pics up from a tough weekend shooting wise ... never spent so much time on my ass going up and down a course, wrist is swollen and bruised from one particular plummet down the side of the mountain.
going to try clean my rain gear and boots now .. and make sure camera equipment is good to go for next time ...
laters
gary
Your images consistently amaze me...in my book your are the current world cup and world champion of MTB photography. Thanks for posting.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
That's good stuff! Dale is right the track was pure balls! However I think poor auld Phil Saxena was just given an immensly limited amount of land by the organisers and made the best of what he had. Phil was the first and last man up and down the 4x track from Tuesday to Saturday and tried his best to make the space and materials he was given work for him.

Dale is getting grumpy with his old age me thinks, like yourself Stik!
Me thinks 4x racing done properly is pretty hopeless...but I do think its a tad comical Dale quit his BMX career to go race 4x, I guess those fontana wins did not measure up to the World Cup.
But what will his fans think? ;)
The fans love it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
laters
gary
Fantastic shots, see you in a week!