Quantcast

Wallrides?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I want to learn wallrides, but I just don't really know the proper technique. It feels like when I do them I just bunnyhop, table, and then sort of scrape my tires down the wall. When I watch BMX movies it looks so easy, but I can't really tell what they're doing because it happens so fast. Any tips?

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
You just take your beatings untill you get it. If you got any skill at all, you will get squirly your first couple times, maybe even crash, but within a couple trys you will have it.
I love wall rides, and i've hit them every wich way. Over vert, curved, brick, wood, regular, opposite. Any wall i see that is hitable, i have to attack. I love that $hit.
This was one of my all time favorites. It was opposite for me.

Attachments

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Nice dude.

I'm talking more about just like a flat regular wall just sitting there than like a berm. I can hop up and sort of ride it but it just doesn't feel right. Should you really try and hop on or just kinda ride it?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I just went out and tried 'em again. I think the increased angle helps, but the wall I was riding sucked. I'll keep practicing.

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
There are so many variables. I've been doing wall rides for a while but I still crash every other new wall I try. The first few times never seem to really be a wall ride, but more of a plant, or a scrape. But the more you tweak the angle, and your speed which is always key, then the easier it gets. And just commit. Get sideways.

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
If your going into a vertical wall try going up to the wall at about 60 degrees. When you getright infront of the wall you want to bunnyhop onto it pushing the shoulder thats not facing the wall pointing down.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I can do wallrides with a full transition , not where you have to jump up.
Is it much harder to learn on a Bullit, than like a hardtail?

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
You really need to run into it.
Yes, it's more like running into it or "riding" onto it if you will. I like to look at one of the corners of the computer room when I picture wallrides (at least for vertical/flat walls). Think about riding down one of the walls at a 50 to 60 deg angle towards the corner and what it would be like to ride onto the other wall. If that makes any sense. . .it does in my head. But I've hit my head a few times. Leaning towards the way you are wallriding as you are about to ride the wall helps alot, as opposed to being fully upright.

This may be funny but doing it on foot helped me figure it you a bit more too. If you can run on a wall for 2 or more steps you can ride it on a bike.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Also, when your front tire is on the wall, make sure you turn up the wall slightly. That will keep you on the wall longer.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
start off on somthing that isn't quite vert. come in at about 45 degrees turn slightly as you get to the wall, so you've got a bit of a lean going when you pop and stick to the wall. stay loose and absorb the hit completely to get as crouched as you can. on a under-vert ride you can really fight for traction. most of the traction will come from you pushing on the wall, but you can only push so much, so push slow at first then faster, but save one last burst for the end. stay in tune with your speed, if your still hauling, go higher, as you so down, go down.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'm still at the cheating stage. There's a wall nearby that is slightly sloped, maybe 10 or 20° from vertical. I threw a small piece of plywood in front of it to create a make-shift transition. It makes it pretty easy to get on and stick to the wall. The hardest part for me was starting to pull the front wheel off to start my landing and having the back tire slide down the wall. Seems like I've got it figured out now but I landed on my backside a few good times learning.

I guess now that I have a pretty good feel for being on the wall and hopping off, I could start trying to bunnyhop onto it.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I found it's best to hit the wall at about a 35-40 degree angle and with as much speed as you can handle. The first impact can be a bit jarring, but the speed will help you get up the wall a bit, then getting off the wall is as simple as getting the front wheel off the wall first and pointing with your hips where you want to go.