Quantcast

vp-free/v-10 pivot problems?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
out of about 5 vp-frees sold form my lbs, 3 have replaced their bearings only after about one year of riding. and one of them need to replace his bearings again after 3 months of riding. but then we haven't had problems with the v-10s even thought they use the same bearings.
so anyone here have the same problems? or is it just something wrong over here?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
vitox said:
replacing bearings after a year of use sounds perfectly normal to me.
:stupid: Even three months sounds normal depending on the weather (rain/mud), soil, and maintenance or lack of. I replaced mine after about 6 months. One of the lower bearings was shot. The rest were fine. However that happened after the wettest winter SoCal has had since I've been alive and I never cleaned or lubed them once. I learned my lesson there. On a side note Santa Cruz sent me a complete bearing package for free when I needed replacements.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have seen the same thing around here. IMO the VPfree is a little more flexy due to the lighter weight. And I dont care what anyone says, the VPfree rear end is a LITTLE flexy. The V10 is a lot stiffer. Due to the slight flexing the bearings take a little more abuse and wear out faster and need to be replaced sooner.

Bearings should be replaced yearly anyway. The bike just lets you know this.:)

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
ncrider said:
Even three months sounds normal depending on the weather (rain/mud), soil, and maintenance or lack of.

exactly, as long as its only bearings you have to replace and its not too involved, id be ok with bearing changes more often than 1 year in muddy or wet conditions.

RubberSideUp

Chimp
Jan 20, 2005
Here
Brunettes said:
where can one find the set of vp bearings? I remember some site that had matching sets for different frames.
Your local SC dealer should stock VP bearings. If they don't they can get them pretty quick.

Projectpat

Chimp
Oct 26, 2004
bellingham
my vpfree needed new bearings after 6 months of riding. when i was at crankworx i talked with the guys in the santacruz tent and they said that the bottom two bearings always go first. which was the case with mine. they said they replace the bottom ones every month or two. that was for v10s, frees, and 4x's. they said it's just the nature of the vpp design. it puts more stress on the bottom two bearings then on the top two. and more stress on the bearings then a few other designs do.

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
I just replaced the bearings in my Free after 18 months of hard use and was suprised to feel most of them spinning smoothly. I will keep them in my toolbox in case any of the new ones explode. I have gotten very adept at caring for the pivots, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to lube a SEALED bearing, other than to attract dirt to it.

I would recommend everyone checking the alignment of their links. My links were both off center when shipped from Santa Cruz, which can wreak havoc on all parts involved. This can be fixed by moving both bearings over until the link sits in the center.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
wait, you guys are getting them for free? coz my sc dealer doesn't stock them and charges about 100usd for a whole set... i smell something fishy.... :angry:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
also, anyone know whats the diff between the normall bullit bearings and hardware compared to the 'pro' kit? pro kit
on the side note, my bullit bearings lasted 2 years...

ckooi

Monkey
Aug 19, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
Kanter said:
I have seen the same thing around here. IMO the VPfree is a little more flexy due to the lighter weight. And I dont care what anyone says, the VPfree rear end is a LITTLE flexy. The V10 is a lot stiffer. Due to the slight flexing the bearings take a little more abuse and wear out faster and need to be replaced sooner.

Bearings should be replaced yearly anyway. The bike just lets you know this.:)
:rolleyes: sounds like u own(ed) one b4?
i cant even tell mine if its flexy or not after riding a v10 for 1yr.

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
ckooi said:
I have a Free, and have owned a Fly. You can flex the rear end of a Free just by pushing and pulling on the rear wheel. Foes uses huge bearings in the main pivot and thicker tubing on the stays to achieve a very stiff rear end.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
ckooi said:
Nope never owned either. I have ridden the V10 and it is NOT flexy. I have flexed the rear of a vpfree by grabbing the rear wheel. It flexed a lot.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
the new v-10 is the stiffest of the lot then the old v-10 then the free, the bullit is about the same or just a bit stiffer then the free. but then the old v-10, it feels more like play then flex... thats what i think.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
dhkid said:
the new v-10 is the stiffest of the lot then the old v-10 then the free, the bullit is about the same or just a bit stiffer then the free. but then the old v-10, it feels more like play then flex... thats what i think.

If anyone else thinks a bullit is stiffer than their vp-free, get to an SCB dealer now because something is wrong with your frame. :p