Quantcast

vote... or else things with REALLY go downhill.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
this should probably be in the political forum, but I'll bite anyway. I'm really kinda tired of this "just vote" campaign. IMHO, I wouldn't want the majority of the current US public voting. I'm not going to vote. I don't pay enough attention to the elections to know what is going on. Too many people don't follow the campaigns, and then see a few smart ass remarks on "The daily show" (great show btw), or some bullsh!t tv comercial, and base their votes on that.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I dont usually support political threads in the DH forum, but in this case I will make an exception. I personally believe it is every citizens duty to vote in a modern democrazy. Too many people bitch about the "government" or politicians in general, but do nothing to change it. This upsets me, many people will die or have died for just this right the world over. Self government if a right, and a responsibility.

American politics is a bit weird, granted, do to being an indirect republican democracy, but still...an uneducated vote is better then no vote at all. As it is, most people simple vote based on their party affiliation anyways, and not on the issues.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Fulton said:
this should probably be in the political forum, but I'll bite anyway. I'm really kinda tired of this "just vote" campaign. IMHO, I wouldn't want the majority of the current US public voting. I'm not going to vote. I don't pay enough attention to the elections to know what is going on. Too many people don't follow the campaigns, and then see a few smart ass remarks on "The daily show" (great show btw), or some bullsh!t tv comercial, and base their votes on that.
sweet jeebus. it's not like it's the day before the election. you have plenty of time to read up, get registered and do your civic duty. don't be lazy.

Transcend said:
I personally believe it is every citizens duty to vote in a modern democrazy.
I agree. It is also their duty to educate themselves on the issues and the candidates before doing so.

As long as we're waving the Go Vote banner around, I would also emphasize the importance of paying attention to your local elections. The results of those will have a greater direct effect on your quality of life than the presidential race.

D

Dingus McGee

Fulton said:
Well, in a way you ARE voting -for Bush.

So consider yourself a Right Wing Conservative Christian who supports raping the environment while trying to take the right to choose away from women.
These of course are just my opinions, they can be eloquently refuted by any number of people (so don't bother to do that here in this fourm, Righties).

Wake up and realize that if you are not voting against Bush you are doing just what the sheep are expected to do. You piss me off. I sincerely wish you would form some opinions....I would rather you understand, support and vote for GW Bush than sit on your ass because you are too lazy to inform yourself.

Disregard this if you are under 18, if so, I apologize.

Edit- and I thought this was going to be a poll to name another racing association or something. :blah:

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Dingus McGee said:
So consider yourself a Right Wing Conservative Christian who supports raping the environment while trying to take the right to choose away from women.

You piss me off.
Keep your extreme closed-mindedness off the board please, there are TONS of pro-choice Republicans out there that fight strongly for our environment. The inverse of your statement would be to say that all Democrats are dope-smoking baby-murdering devil-worshiping communists. Give me a $%&@ break.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
gastrocnemius said:
I agree. It is also their duty to educate themselves on the issues and the candidates before doing so.

As long as we're waving the Go Vote banner around, I would also emphasize the importance of paying attention to your local elections. The results of those will have a greater direct effect on your quality of life than the presidential race.

I absolutely agree, the problem is that in the US system, alot of times log rolling has more of an effect then educating the majority of the electorate. If you like one liberal policy and feel it is a necessary policy outcome, you will probably vote democrat. If you are very religious, or support the NRA etc you are likely to vote republican.

A 2 party system makes life difficult when it comes to educating the populous to make informed choices. By voting in the presednetial election, you ARE voting locally as your representatives have a big say in what goes on locally. Lots of influence on local policies etc.

protip: in autralia you get fined for not voting.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
1000-Oaks said:
Keep your extreme closed-mindedness off the board please, there are TONS of pro-choice Republicans out there that fight strongly for our environment. The inverse of your statement would be to say that all Democrats are dope-smoking baby-murdering devil-worshiping communists. Give me a $%&@ break.
Dingus McGee said:
Well, in a way you ARE voting -for Bush.

So consider yourself a Right Wing Conservative Christian who supports raping the environment bla bla DRIVEL.:

please do not turn this thread into a train wreck.

That goes for you too dingus. Take it to the political forum.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
1000-Oaks said:
Hmmm, I thought that was really non-partisan...
I would prefer that the thread did not become politically charged and turn into a train wreck of E screming and E yelling and then gets closed.

I agree with the original poster that voting is a responsibility. Hopefully more people see it this way.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If you don't know who to vote for, don't vote for Bush or Kerry. In other words, register your voice without worrying about whom to vote for.

Transcend said:
By voting in the presednetial election, you ARE voting locally as your representatives have a big say in what goes on locally. Lots of influence on local policies etc.
I'm certainly not trying to downplay the importance of the presidential race and its attendant policies. It's just a reminder that US government is typically more flexible and accessible from the county level on down.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Transcend said:
protip: in autralia you get fined for not voting.
Dam you, you have stumbled on the real reason aussie racers are so quick, they are trying to get away from the federal police tracking them down for unpaid voting fines :)

Seriously but, im not from America but you guys should all be voting. The outcome of your election will have far reaching consequences around the whole world. I really, really hope for Americas sake that Bush doesn't get back in. Americans are generally nice people, but Bush has seriously tarnished your international reputation. Even in Australia there is alot of anti-american sentiment flowing which is directly because of Bush, not the american people themselves. Not good fellas :(

-Matt

B

bighitfsr

Voting in the US federal elections is the most important thing I will do all year IMO.
The US elections are etreemely important globally.
The ammount of dammage bush could do to world peace and the environment in the space of 4 more years is massive.

I'm an Australian and North American dual national (so I can vote in both countires). I live in Australia but will be voting in the US for the 1st time this year (in a swinging seat too).
I decided to pursure this to some extent because of Mike Moores books and films (but I'm allready very left wing).

If I can go through all the beaurocracy of voting in the US federal elections from Australia you yankees have no excuses.
Although if your going to vote for Bush just ignore my rant and forget about voting.

Also as much as I prefer the greens over the democrats I will give my vote to the democrats as the world needs to oust Bush.

American voters are the most important people in the world right now.
The worlds fate lies in your hands !!!

Anyway thanks to me and by two younger brothers there will be three extra votes for the democrats in this election. I consider voting in the US federal election is the single most important thing I will do all year (thats saying a lot as I'm a teacher of sorts).

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
bighitfsr said:
Voting in the US federal elections is the most important thing I will do all year IMO.
The US elections are etreemely important globally.
The ammount of dammage bush could do to world peace and the environment in the space of 4 more years is massive.

I'm an Australian and North American dual national (so I can vote in both countires). I live in Australia but will be voting in the US for the 1st time this year (in a swinging seat too).
I decided to pursure this to some extent because of Mike Moores books and films (but I'm allready very left wing).

If I can go through all the beaurocracy of voting in the US federal elections from Australia you yankees have no excuses.
Although if your going to vote for Bush just ignore my rant and forget about voting.

Also as much as I prefer the greens over the democrats I will give my vote to the democrats as the world needs to oust Bush.

American voters are the most important people in the world right now.
The worlds fate lies in your hands !!!

Anyway thanks to me and by two younger brothers there will be three extra votes for the democrats in this election. I consider voting in the US federal election is the single most important thing I will do all year (thats saying a lot as I'm a teacher of sorts).
Yes, the worlds fate does lie in our hands! Attack terrorism on the offensive (Bush) or sit around and wait for another 9/11 to occur (kerry)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
WheelieMan said:
Yes, the worlds fate does lie in our hands! Attack terrorism on the offensive (Bush) or sit around and wait for another 9/11 to occur (kerry)
can it you 2. TAKE IT TO THE POLITICS FORUM.

morons. read the thread or get out.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Personally, i wouldnt like to speak in terms of who is the better.

What i would like to say, is that, in a proper democracy, ALL citizens should vote, and not only that, they should make an "educated" vote. It is their duty. Paying taxes and following the laws doesnt mean that our duties as citizens are over, voting is the primary duty. We have the power to elect every 4yrs, we shouldnt neglect that right.

In ancient Greece, citizens, not only voted for elections, but they were the actual senate, voting for laws etc. Having said that, they were at maximum 500.000 citizens so size was permiting that. More importantly, they knew what they were doing.

Voting wont help you change all the problems of the future, but at least, next time you are critisizing A politician, you ll have every right to say... "Hey i tried...".

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Its funny that guys from half way around the world are concerned about how I vote because it could affect them. We are a competing country in a world economy, why should I vote for any one candidate over another based on how it will affect a foreign country (that isn't attacking us?) That's like saying I'm going to brake a little longer in a race so there will be less gap between myself and the guy behind me, it makes absolutely no sense. I realize that voting for competent civic leaders is a privelage and that the US does have a tremendous influance over the rest of the world but in the end why should I, if given a choice, sacrifice my quality of life to marginally improve somebody else's half way around the world, I genuinely believe people like Mother Theresa do more to improve (or preserve as the case may be) conditions in suffering countries than the politicians on capitol hill, and I support these people much more strongly than I do some face on a television.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
As others have written, you have to educate yourself to exercise your duty and right to vote (even if they don't count your vote because you're black, like in Floriduh).

Then the question becomes: how do I catch up on the issues? The answer is to triangulate by looking at a variety of sources - don't depend on Fox or CNN or major networks, which are all corporate PR departments with short attention spans). Here are some good places to start. The Economist and the Financial Times are both venerable conservative UK publications that outshine almost any US news source. Remember that EVERY media organization has an agenda, and some present their agendas more transparently than do others.

economist.com
bbc.com
npr.org
ft.com
enn.com

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Stiff said:
As others have written, you have to educate yourself to exercise your duty and right to vote (even if they don't count your vote because you're black, like in Floriduh).

Then the question becomes: how do I catch up on the issues? The answer is to triangulate by looking at a variety of sources - don't depend on Fox or CNN or major networks, which are all corporate PR departments with short attention spans). Here are some good places to start. The Economist and the Financial Times are both venerable conservative UK publications that outshine almost any US news source. Remember that EVERY media organization has an agenda, and some present their agendas more transparently than do others.

economist.com
bbc.com
npr.org
ft.com
enn.com
The economist and BBC are very good. I would also like to add reuters as well as the american political science association (http://www.apsanet.org/).

Also, don't depend on FOX or CNN for anything more then sensationalistic news reports of reporters hanging onto trees in hurricanes.

drago52

Chimp
Aug 21, 2004
Eagle-Vail, CO
I think it is important to note that we don't get international news from our news groups. I spent 6 months travelling around the world and I got news from everywhere. I don't mean 6 months in europe. Australia, Thailand, Nepal, China, Japan, Europe, Africa.

In the US, our news agencies only cover local stories. Due to this, we do not know the repercussions of our leaders and their actions. It's sad but true. Ask someone from Germany who the leaders are of their surrounding countries and they'll tell you straight up. Do YOU know who is the prime minister of Canada or the leader of Mexico?

Sadly, It's easy to be concerned about US citizens because thats the only thing we hear about. Education comes first, and we will never be educated about our foreign policy with our current news organizations.

If you are going to vote. Please vote on the issues at hand and not on generalizations about what the party represents. Iraq, 911, economy, foreign policy, healthcare, etc.

-Ryan

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Kornphlake said:
Its funny that guys from half way around the world are concerned about how I vote because it could affect them. We are a competing country in a world economy, why should I vote for any one candidate over another based on how it will affect a foreign country (that isn't attacking us?)

......if given a choice, sacrifice my quality of life to marginally improve somebody else's half way around the world,
There is an old American Indian Cree saying that applies to people in your mindset "It is not until the last tree has died, the last river poisoned or the last fish killed that mankind will realise he can't eat money".

Think about it mate.........

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Cave Dweller said:
There is an old American Indian Cree saying that applies to people in your mindset "It is not until the last tree has died, the last river poisoned or the last fish killed that mankind will realise he can't eat money".

Think about it mate.........
I think you missed my point, elected officials can only do so much. Sure, politicians throw out ideas like trickle down economics but in the end it's the economic cycle that really will control the economy, and that's something that politicians can't control, they can make the peaks and valleys a little smoother but ultimately we'll see swings in the economy locally and globally.

On the other hand compassionate service advocates that are not in any way related to any government can, and do, make meaningful changes in societies, although they are more subtle, organizations like red cross and the salvation army do make a differance reguardless of economic conditions and domestic policy.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Kornphlake said:
Hmmm.... maybe you missed my point too. Obviously you live in the USofA so you don't see the MASSIVE impact your politics has on the WORLD. If you think your politics has no effect on the world then you really have no clue at all about what is happening.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
as far as voting goes i live in a heavily democratic state, so it really isnt worth bothering to vote. Ny's electorals votes are going to the dems like it always does. If i lived in a battle ground state voting would be important, but i dont.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
No kidding, it's a weird feeling. Here I live in America, but I have zero poitical representation because of the state I live in. What I think doesn't matter at all, because the state is firmly in contol of the other party and always will be.

When I write letters to congressmen I have to write to ones in other states, LOL. They're the only ones that might be able to do something about our/my problems.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Stiff said:

economist.com
bbc.com
npr.org
ft.com
enn.com
Don't forget the Christian Science Monitor. (As a non-Christian, the name scared me away until someone forced me to read it...)

Personally, I don't really want a lot of America to vote. They're too ignorant and simply responding to the stimuli-commercials and such-that are set before them in between reality TV shows, without thinking or understanding. Let them not vote. (please?)

What we DO need to do is encourage critical thought (and journalism) in America, especially amongst the young. If people understand the world and a little about politics, they'll be able to make informed decisions, and they'll realize the VALUE of voting...not as a simple duty, but as a way to control their world. Until then, let the idiots rot. They shouldn't be allowed near a voting booth without having to write an essay which explains, coherently, what their understanding of the candidates' policies are, and how these might affect the country/world.

MD

MD

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Stiff, well said, you covered me completely.

In my post, i was not addressing US elections only, but ANY elections on ANY democratic country. What i said applies to my country as well, where many people dont think when they vote, yet they b1tch for 4yrs against the goverment. We think so much before buying a bike or a bike component, why not thinking a bit more when we are about to vote for our country, be it, Greece, UK, US, Canada, Aus or anywhere else.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
1000-Oaks said:
No kidding, it's a weird feeling. Here I live in America, but I have zero poitical representation because of the state I live in. What I think doesn't matter at all, because the state is firmly in contol of the other party and always will be..
Mate, try Washington DC! None of the 500,000 or so residents have Congressional representation of any type. Didn't we start a revolution in Boston against taxation w/o representation?

US democracy has always been precarious, slow-to-change, and more smoke and mirrors than anything else. The democratic institutions are still there (although are being weakened by the Republican stranglehold and Democrats' silence), but they'll only survive if people exercise the institutions. Unfortunately most US people seem to live largely in the consumersphere and are alienated or bored with participating in the governance of our society.

As for the effect US policies have on the rest of the world: if that isn't apparent to anyone now in a 911 world, it never will be. These people are best ignored since they're just too dumb to deal with.

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
1000-Oaks said:
Classic. Thanks for saving me the trouble of writing that myself :) There are plenty of intelligent, informed people who have weighed the pro's and con's of each of these two guys, and would rather have four more years of GWB. What bohers me is that these two are the best we could come up with, as a country.