Quantcast

Vivid air advice/tuning?

cjm102

Chimp
Dec 27, 2009
Aus
I just purchased a second hand Vivid air, the guy only had it for a few months and it just didn't fit the new frame, so I thought I would give it a go.

It bolted straight to my 2010 demo with no issues and saved a nice 295g over the RC4. Now setup time has come I can't find any info, all I could find on sram web page was how to rebuild it. The thing is it had about 100psi inside and I thought I would give it a little more, but as I sat on the bike to set the sag it slowly sank through the travel. Is this normal? Seams a little odd, maybe internal leak?make sence?

Any other advice would be appreciated, should I follow the base dampening setup for the normal vivid?

Thanks

Chris

Last edited:

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
ok I have been running the vivid air on my 2010 demo for a while now and it works awesome. first off 100psi is far low. It says to use your weight as a benchmark but i tend to but 15-20 psi more then my weight.(ex i weigh 150 and have my psi at 167ish) unless you weigh 90 pounds, put some more air in there. Then play with compression. i would have mine about 6-7 clicks out and i ran my rebound on the slow side.

hope this helps:thumb:

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
ok I have been running the vivid air on my 2010 demo for a while now and it works awesome. first off 100psi is far low. It says to use your weight as a benchmark but i tend to but 15-20 psi more then my weight.(ex i weigh 150 and have my psi at 167ish) unless you weigh 90 pounds, put some more air in there. Then play with compression. i would have mine about 6-7 clicks out and i ran my rebound on the slow side.

Which tune does your Vivid have for the Demo?

cjm102

Chimp
Dec 27, 2009
Aus
Did you have RC4 with Ti spring?
Steel spring 450lb, 295g to be exact but still very happy.

Very helpfull, good place to start and very intersting comparison through the shocks. I did a search over on Vitalmtb but didn't come up with this, so thanks.

unless you weigh 90 pounds,
78kg actually haha.

Last edited:

arc

Chimp
Mar 8, 2011
I can't find any info, all I could find on sram web page was how to rebuild it. The thing is it had about 100psi inside and I thought I would give it a little more, but as I sat on the bike to set the sag it slowly sank through the travel. Is this normal? Chris
It could be normal for this shock. Sounds like there wasn't any air in the negative chamber.

Have another look at the Sram manual, scroll down to page 26. They talk about having to do a fill/swap process to equalize the pressure between positive and negative chambers.

It says after filling the air can you have to compress the shock 20mm or more to get air in the negative chamber. Then you have to put more air into the air can and compress the shock again. Keep repeating the process until the positive and negative air chambers are at the desired pressure.

cjm102

Chimp
Dec 27, 2009
Aus
Initally I was so uncertain of the presure required to support my weight, I was afraid to just put 200psi inside her. Just like you said, earlier today I carried out this process of filling and sitting on the bike, 3-4 times, it didn't cone good till I was over 160ish. I'm now just under 200psi and have about 30% sag.

Chris

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Steel spring 450lb, 295g to be exact but still very happy.
It makes even smaller difference comparing to/with my RC4 with 300lbs DSP spring... hmm...

edit: Can any1 remind me, where was Vivid Air tune chart on Sram site?