Quantcast

Vista content protection

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Have any of you monkeys been looking at what's happening with the Windows Vista OS in regard to this?
Was just reading THIS about it and was wondering what the monkii colectives view was on this. :) :pirate2:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Good luck with that, the mac is way ahead of microsoft and the rest of the industry as a whole when it comes to implimentation/locking down of what you can and cannot do.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Good luck with that, the mac is way ahead of microsoft and the rest of the industry as a whole when it comes to implimentation/locking down of what you can and cannot do.
Perhaps, but their copy protection works without dragging the system to it's knees and providing malware and viruses and safe haven.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
thats probably has to do with having such a small market share.. there arent as many hackers trying to punch their way in.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Ditto.

However, I've heard some unsettling rumors about WMV and video technology just not being supported in the future for any other OS than Windoze...

Anyone else?
The codecs are still out there, so developers (such as flip4mac) can make software to play WMV content on the mac and other OS's. I'm not too worried.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The codecs are still out there, so developers (such as flip4mac) can make software to play WMV content on the mac and other OS's. I'm not too worried.
Flip4mac was purchased BY windows and is now distributed by them. The only reason i can think of to why, is to shutdown support to the mac eventually. That said, Mac and MS have a tighter relationship than ever now with the intel macs running windows. I don't think MS will shoot itself in the foot.

splat

Nam I am
Flip4mac was purchased BY windows and is now distributed by them. The only reason i can think of to why, is to shutdown support to the mac eventually. That said, Mac and MS have a tighter relationship than ever now with the intel macs running windows. I don't think MS will shoot itself in the foot.
they are not out to get MAC ( yet) it linuxthey are out to try and stop/slow down . i run Linux on my desk top , and Lately some of the Newer WMV files I can not play :( says the codecs are unavailable.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ya well i shoulda said other OSes. The newest WMV files have no codes out there to support them on anything but windows. Same goes for the mac and newer stuff at times. It is pretty particular though.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I'm pretty sure they just struck a deal with flip4mac to give their basic player away for free, realizing that WMV for mac was horrendous. According to their website, flip4mac is owned by Telestream.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Microsoft don't really care along as you go through them. Pay the license fee and agree to their terms etc. Apple would certainly have done this themselves if they where not in direct competition.

Someone just licensed wmv for use on linux.
http://www.fluendo.com/press/releases/PR-2007-01.html

Makes sense really, being the dominant format/drm supplier could be very profitable.