Quantcast

Vigo Maxxis Cup

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Can anyone here give me more info, the website is very lacking. I've never been before, never done any Maxxis cup for that matter.

I'm flying out Thursday morning, and returning Monday night. Will I be able to ride the race track on Thursday (official practice starts Friday as far as I can tell). Is there much other riding in the area if I can't? How much is registration - there's no pre-registration right? Does that cost cover all 3 days (fri/sat/sun)? Dumb question but I think Vigo has no chairlift yah, it's trucks instead isn't it?

Anyone else going?

cheers!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Oh and is it basically the same course as the WCs? I assume so, hope so.

Nozzes

Chimp
Mar 10, 2009
Hi!
I'm going to Gouveia this weekend and Vigo the next,registration is on site,35€.
Vigo has no chairlift,you're right.
The registration includes friday's training,don't know about thursday,sorry...

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Only e-stalking you this one time Seb, honest! How did you get on this weekend? How did the senior riders compare to seniors over here in the likes of the SDA etc? Was eyeing up some maxxis cup races this year but bottled this one 'cos I'm a bit of a fanny!! Interested in hearing any advice/feedback you might be able to give.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I got on great this weekend - came 3rd!! :D

Unfortunately this weekend was just a race at Taff Buggy in Wales lol, NEXT weekend is Vigo. Just booked hire car & competition insurance, very excited :D

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Damn it, I'm a tard!! Need to cut down on the strongbow abuse!

Ah well, well done on the third place and good luck next week lol!

Same question next week :D

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Had a good couple of days Fri/Sat, was starting to feel pretty quick (for me) by the end. Sunday morning I nailed myself twice in practice, so when it came to qualifying I throttled back a few % just to make sure I made the cut. Got a 2:57, fastest was Pascal with a 2:35 or something, which is quite a gap, but there were some quick riders I know who did 2:43ish, and I was happy to "only" be 14 seconds off of them.

2:57 put me 79th out of 240 or so. I figured I had about a 2:50 in the bank if I opened it up and managed to get a clean run...

...unfortunately I didn't, took a big over the bars in the race run in the rocky switchback section, one of those crashes where you don't jump straight back on to get a time, but instead take your helmet off and sit at the side of the track for a minute or two!

Ah well, c'est la vie etc. Great experience and riding anyway, the result was never going to really matter, I knew I would place about a quarter to a third of the way down the field. Amazing track, loved it, if you're ever in the vicinity get out there! I won't bother describing it, you've all seen it on the vids!

Oh and I was running my new superlight wheelset (courtest of those folks in my sig) and they survived fine, woohoo! One smallish ding in the rear wheel which was my own fault from running the tyres too soft. Other than that I beat the crap out of them and don't have so much as a loose spoke. ZTR flow rims, American Classic hubs, DT supercomp spokes, alloy nips. They rock! 860g front, 875g rear (the AC 150x12 rear hub is RIDICULOUSLY light. Lighter than a Tune!!!!)

Last edited:

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
yeah vigo looks like a course that punishes going even slightly off line..

good to hear those wheels survived, thats ridiculously light for a set of DH wheels, the more i hear about those ZTRs the more im sold on them

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
The more ive been reading about guys riding these super light DH wheels makes me wonder big time about my next wheel set up for DH.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Gutted about the crash for you dude, sounds like you had a good weekend despite it tho! If you qualified 79th I reckon that puts me dead last haha, I'll stick to SDA's for know! Do you think you will head out there again?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Maybe not to Vigo, I try not to go to the same place more than once if I can avoid it - so many places to visit/experience. But yeah, definitely up for doing more foreign races, whether Maxxis/IXS cups or maybe something even further afield :)

DanSheridan

Chimp
Feb 7, 2009
Ireland
The track was great good jumps but pretty pedaly at the bottom so i struggled a bit, i had a pretty cruised qualifying run and ended up with a 2:03 , i was knackered and didnt even want to my 2nd run but did it anyway, that it was faster but ended up wit a 2:03 , the track was a bit more blown out at that stage and i was so tired and got a bit messy in my run, was amazing though my 1st international event hopefully get to port aine!