Quantcast

very impressed with timbuk2 bag

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Since I know some of you use messenger bags, I thought I'd throw this out there...

I bought a Timbuk2 classic messenger a few weeks ago (size small). I actually bought 2 of them, one through work, then I found one at Sam's Club a few days later for $25 that I couldn't pass up. I was looking for something that I could use as a general purpose bag (everything from a diaper bag when I take my kids to the park, to a travel bag to an actual messenger bag).

I've used it a bunch and I'm really impressed with it. It's comfortable and does just what it's supposed to do. I was skeptical about how useful/convenient/functional it would be when I was on the bike, but after a couple of commutes to work, it's great. It's comfortable, stays right where I put it, and is the perfect size for me.

I'm very happy with it. As long as it holds up, which I have no reason to think it won't, it's a solid purchase at twice the money.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
A long time ago I used to shop at an urban clothes store online (I guess this was about 8-9 years ago). They were giving away timbuktu bags with a purchase of 150 bucks or more so i got one. Granted for a few years i didn't use it on a bike but I have been using it since I got it and it is still in great condition for a bag that has been through the kind of abuse I put it through. I am looking for a replacement now and even though I've tried a few new bags I am having a hard time deciding if I want to get anything other than Timbuktu. I did try a chrome out for the first time the other day and found it much more comfortable than my bag (for the 2 minutes I wore it in the store).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I and two friends have all broken the plastic buckle that cinches the strap tight. Just something to look out for, especially if you put heavy loads in it.

And the stitching in mine started to pull out, but that was only after a couple years.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
I bought my Timbuk2 messenger bag 10 years ago and continue to use it daily. It's still rock solid and has become such a fixture in my routine that I don't even think about it anymore.

Last edited:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i use a large, black messenger bag that i got for half price ($40) that i use as a camera gig bag...with some adjustment, i can fit the following:

30D w/ grip
5D w/ grip
70-200 f/2.8 IS in case
24-70 f/2.8
135 f/2 in pouch
15 f/2.8 fisheye
85 f/1.8
50 f/1.4
flash gun
batteries, wipes, off-camera flash cord, CF cards, pens, etc...

fully loaded, it weighs a ton, but it's very functional. no complaints at all.

Last edited:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
try bringing that into a crowded club :D

my hoods have dings and scratches, but i don't get too excited about cosmetic blemishes.

I have smaller bags for when I need to go places :) I have a Crumpler, and some other stuff I don't know what it is. They all have padded dividers though ;)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i bought a Domke padded divider, but it the compartments were too small for my lenses...anyone want it?

i probably bring too much gear into a gig, but i like having options, and i haven't seen another bag which could fit as much, but still allow for easy, on-the-fly access (slung over my shoulder).

plus, i also like the fact that the bag doesn't scream CAMERA GEAR as i walk out of a club late at night w/ $7K of gear inside of it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i bought a Domke padded divider, but it the compartments were too small for my lenses...anyone want it?

i probably bring too much gear into a gig, but i like having options, and i haven't seen another bag which could fit as much, but still allow for easy, on-the-fly access (slung over my shoulder).

plus, i also like the fact that the bag doesn't scream CAMERA GEAR as i walk out of a club late at night w/ $7K of gear inside of it.

Maybe you could modify a booze belt.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my timbuk 2 lasted all of 4 months. Get a chrome. or a reload. or a PAC. they are far more expensive, but you get what you pay for. not to mention they are all worlds more comfortable than a tb2. I have a chrome metropolis that has been going strong for 5 years now and I have had zero issues with it. Not to mention you can fill it with ice and beer for a mobile cooler!

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Im liking my timbuk2 bag , Ive had it for 8-9 years and its still going strong. you should get there moneyclip ID wallet it is awesome..
also keep an eye open on SAC i bought an xtra large green timbuk2 bag for $16

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Since I know some of you use messenger bags, I thought I'd throw this out there...

I bought a Timbuk2 classic messenger a few weeks ago (size small). I actually bought 2 of them, one through work, then I found one at Sam's Club a few days later for $25 that I couldn't pass up. I was looking for something that I could use as a general purpose bag (everything from a diaper bag when I take my kids to the park, to a travel bag to an actual messenger bag).

I've used it a bunch and I'm really impressed with it. It's comfortable and does just what it's supposed to do. I was skeptical about how useful/convenient/functional it would be when I was on the bike, but after a couple of commutes to work, it's great. It's comfortable, stays right where I put it, and is the perfect size for me.

I'm very happy with it. As long as it holds up, which I have no reason to think it won't, it's a solid purchase at twice the money.
glad you like it...mine is going on 12 years...D

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
does anyone use their TB2 for commuting with a computer? am i plain stupid to think about commuting with my laptop?
i'm going to start bike-commuting to work (finally in a situation where its feasible for me), and i need to bring my computer everyday, i could leave it at work, but i don't really want to since i use it a bunch at home. so any experiences from anyone?
thanks!

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
does anyone use their TB2 for commuting with a computer? am i plain stupid to think about commuting with my laptop?
i'm going to start bike-commuting to work (finally in a situation where its feasible for me), and i need to bring my computer everyday, i could leave it at work, but i don't really want to since i use it a bunch at home. so any experiences from anyone?
thanks!
I have the Large bag w/laptop holder and I've had no issues so far. The sleeve is soft and has thick padding and even with a couple of large books it hasn't dinged up or scratched anything yet. I can just barely fit my HP 15.4 inch widescreen notebook. Anything larger and I'd go a size up. Defiantly check the size specs on their site.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
thanks!

I have This bag in This color (4th one down from the top green/grey/green.)

I have used it maybe 5 times .. if you want it you can have it for $35

pm me.. the bag works great.. but i no longer carry my laptop with me while commuting