Quantcast

Vans Warner SPD compared to...

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
How does the new Warner SPD compare to 661 Filter or Shimano AM45 shoe. I mean, especially cleat position and sole stiffnes. I would like sole stiff as it gets :) Is warner the right shoe?

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
How does the new Warner SPD compare to 661 Filter or Shimano AM45 shoe. I mean, especially cleat position and sole stiffnes. I would like sole stiff as it gets :) Is warner the right shoe?
I've found my warners to be stiffer than my previous clip shoes - shimano Mp67 or 66s or whatever they are.

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
my 661 filters werent stiff at all, i ended up riding carbon XC shoes on my dh rig. if you want stiff just get xc shoes, they clip in better too

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Warners are SUPER stiff.

To the point I ditched them. Not comfortable to my feet, and the cleats didn't tuck in flush. I switched to the AM45's and I'm more impressed with the fit, comfort, and the stiffness is good enough for my tastes.

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
@Cliffy, what about cleat position? is in the same place as Shimano? I'm most used to MP66 model and I think it's pretty much spot on, but want to try something else. On 661 Filter i had to cut a lot of rubber around cleats to get same position as on Shimano

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Warners rock. The only problem I found was the rubber is soft and doesnt last as long as Id like. The cleat is in the same postion as my Shimano shoes. I didnt have to cut any rubber off of them to get them to click in. The cleat sticks out pretty well.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm on about my third pair of Filters and they have this bad habit of the cloth on the heel tearing open and exposing the rigid plastic heel cup. ALways have bought them based on price/walk into a store/walk up a section of trail combo.

I always want to try the Shimano (DX), but I run hot and that flap just seems like spring/summer/fall my feet would fry in them? But would LOVE the extra splash protection.

Have not heard good thinsg about the Warner's. But geez do I want them because they are Van's!

@bizutch, the Warners did the same thing on the heel. Maybe it's the way i walk or put the shoes on/off but the cloth/padding overlying the heelcup on the inside wore away sooner than expected. and the sole rubber was soft, good i guess for gripping the pedals when not clipped in, but chunks of the sole are missing.

I like my Shimanos, they grip just as well, and the inside fabric/padding seems to be holding up better. the shoelace cover is handy for tucking loose laces outta the way. i don't notice that my feet are any hotter than the Warners. Plus, i like that the inner cuff in alittle higher so my ankles are padded.

It's a shame they retired the white Shimanos, the newer ones aren't holding up as well i've heard.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Haven't tried the Warner's, but I'm currently on the FiveTen Hellcats. Hellcats I really like, fit is fairly comfortable, much like any thicker padded skate shoe. Although a little tall, the sole is super grippy for when I'm out of the spd, and in the 4 months or so I've been using them, I have only noticed marginal amount of sole damage. From about the ball of my foot back, they are quite stiff. Although not quite as stiff as my carbon based XC shoes from Specialized, it does work quite well for adding grip on the pins of the Mallets I'm using by slightly conforming to the pedal. Durability wise, these have outlasted the Shimano's I ran for 3 months before I blew out the entire front quarter from hitting a rock. I've hit many of rocks in this same area on the 5-10's with nothing more than a scuff.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
It's a shame they retired the white Shimanos, the newer ones aren't holding up as well i've heard.
Wait a minute....I thought the MP66's weren't being discontinued; the AM44/45 was supposed to just be supplemental.

If the MP66's are actually discontinued, I needz to go buy another pair before they're gone!