Quantcast

V10c settings for Sea Otter?

TWilks

Chimp
Feb 25, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
I'm building up a V10c and I'll hopefully have it done in time for Sea Otter. I was thinking, since the course is so smooth and full of jumps and berms, that I might try to run it in the 8.5 travel setting for different jumping and pumping characteristics, and for a lower bottom bracket. If I did this, I'd probably want to run the angleset in the steepest setting so it doesn't feel like a boat. Any thoughts?

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
to be honest, depending on the rear shock you're running you can just pack on a ton of low speed compression so it pedals and pumps really well without being divey....beyond that, if it's an RC4, you can bump the PSI in the propedal a bit, and crank the volume adjuster all the way in to limit the travel as much as possible....

same with your fork...bump the LSC and if it's a fox, knock the travel adjustment down to 7"....that should make the bike pretty snappy, but it won't be any shorter...haha

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Firm it up with a heavier spring and throw a 36- 160mm up front like Fabien Barel!

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
they're right v10's usually don't win that course (except when people riding v10's race it, in which case they usually win it). You're not gonna get bucked from any jumps (because there aren't any), corner speed and pedaling are pretty crucial, so maybe a slightly faster rebound setup and slightly more lsc then you would normally run. Basically, just set it up to pedal well without compromising DH capabilities and it'll be fine. If you're not fit enough to ride down that course on a v10, you probably shouldn't need to worry about how you'll do. Its between a 2 and 3 minute course depending on if you're a top ranked pro and if you're in beginner class.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Massive compression damping, low travel setting, light wheels and fast rolling tires should get you to the top step!
What he said.

Long travel bike actually goes pretty good out there because of all the chop. No big gnarly gnar gnar. Just a ton of small bumps that feel like you're rolling across a meadow with no trail that a long travel bike smokes people on 4x bikes on. I'd say there's more of that than outright pedally sections.

TWilks

Chimp
Feb 25, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
Does it have a setting where it transforms into a 26 lb slalom bike?
Yes, it does.
Replace the shock with a carbon seatpost?
hahaha I'll look into it
they're right v10's usually don't win that course (except when people riding v10's race it, in which case they usually win it). You're not gonna get bucked from any jumps (because there aren't any), corner speed and pedaling are pretty crucial, so maybe a slightly faster rebound setup and slightly more lsc then you would normally run. Basically, just set it up to pedal well without compromising DH capabilities and it'll be fine. If you're not fit enough to ride down that course on a v10, you probably shouldn't need to worry about how you'll do. Its between a 2 and 3 minute course depending on if you're a top ranked pro and if you're in beginner class.
fasho, I don't even care too much about winning this one, I just want to beat some of my friends

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
As far back as I can remember every pro winner of that race has been on a DH bike except for Graves a few times on his Yeti 4x.
Throw on some semi-slicks and light tubes and go fast.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Get the new BOS rigishock like I posted just now in the" 2012 rides" thread.
It pedals amaaaaazingly

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
my buddy is a local up there and has won expert hardtail a couple times.
his lap times were actually faster on his dj bike than his on SX trail.
true story bro!