Quantcast

V10 or Sunday???

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
Hi all,
i'm watching for a new dh bike for the next season.
I will not get them new so no new 2008 models they are too expensive for me.
I found a 2006 V10 Large size and a Sunday 2007 Medium size. I know that they are really different but they are 2 sexy bikes and i don't know what i should do. What do you think? Which is better?
I'm high about 6.2" so i'm complaining if the v10 is too big or the sunday is too short.
I like to ride aggressive, but i don't have the chance to try them, so i don't know which is better for me.
Can you help me to take the right choice for the next race season?

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Hi, i am 1,84 cm tall, I ride a medium sunday. Its the perfect size for me.
Both great rides, I prefer the sunday becouse its better to handle in technical sections and corners like hell.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
a little more information is required. just saying your an aggressive ridder doesnt help anybody really narrow it down enough to give you an accurate statement and opinion on what you should get. where do you live and where are you going to be ridding it is a big issue, and be a little more specific on your ridding style. if you like to pick the smooth lines and finese your bike threw obsticles then i would deffinatly get the sunday cause well that is what that bike was made for. if you like to eat rocks, and dont even worry about your lines then the v10 is for you as well. also if you live out west ive been noticing the trend in there bikes. they seem to like a little bit more travel in the rear due to all the rocks, and a lot of those guys are plow ridders. on the east coast we all like to go smaller travel and finese our way threw the rough sections. hope that helps man.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
im like 6'3" and ride a med 17" sunday. fits perfect. im not cramped on the bike and its really stable yet flick able and easy to control on anything.

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
a little more information is required. just saying your an aggressive ridder doesnt help anybody really narrow it down enough to give you an accurate statement and opinion on what you should get. where do you live and where are you going to be ridding it is a big issue, and be a little more specific on your ridding style. if you like to pick the smooth lines and finese your bike threw obsticles then i would deffinatly get the sunday cause well that is what that bike was made for. if you like to eat rocks, and dont even worry about your lines then the v10 is for you as well. also if you live out west ive been noticing the trend in there bikes. they seem to like a little bit more travel in the rear due to all the rocks, and a lot of those guys are plow ridders. on the east coast we all like to go smaller travel and finese our way threw the rough sections. hope that helps man.
You are right i didn't tell a lot about me to take a choice.
I live in Italy, there are many technician tracks with rocks and roots, not too many clean and fast tracks, well there are some but not so many.
So i have often rocks and roots under my tyres but 258mm of travel is a really a lot maybe it's too much.

In the last hours i found also a giant glory DH at a very interesting price. Anyone knows how is it?

You are really helping me to find the best bike that can fit me. Thanks guys

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
also if you live out west ive been noticing the trend in there bikes. they seem to like a little bit more travel in the rear due to all the rocks, and a lot of those guys are plow ridders. on the east coast we all like to go smaller travel and finese our way threw the rough sections.
Wow, that's one heck of a sterotype.

So,
East Coast - Finesse Rider
West Coast - Plow Rider

Does that mean I need to move back to the east

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
i think the glory is kinda the middle between these to bikes. does that make sense? kinda plow. but i have heard post of people saying they can barely tell a glory and a sunday apart

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
i don't buy the whole "plow bike" deal. i own a v10, and the only reason to call it a plow bike is because it has so much travel that you CAN plow thru and over anything. but that's at the rider's discretion. i run a fast rebound on my v10 and it is lively as sh!t. it's easy to bunny hop, it handles very nimble and it rides/feels light and active.
with the v10, you can slash and dash with the best of 'em, finesse over and around obstacles or plow thru if you so choose.

i've never ridden a sunday, but extrapilating from my 6point, i can only imagine that is a fun ride also.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Having ridden both a fair amount I'd agree with the concensus. The V10 works best for a rider that likes to run over the course and the Sunday works best for a rider that picks good lines. Of course the El Cuervo splits the difference between the two, but are very difficult to find used.

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
Some friends are telling me to don't go for the Sunday. It has a really low bb at 13.9", so they told me that's really dangerous when you need to ride technical tracks because you could too easily hit your pedals. So that it could be not the best bike for our tracks, but **** it's so sexy! eheh

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
yes, the sunday has a low bb and yes you will hit your pedals sometimes but you will get used to it in now time - not a big deal.
I think that the V 10 has a low bb too, not as low as the sunday but still lower than most other dh rigs.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Yes, it is very, very dangerous to hit your pedals and cranks on the ground every once in a while. They may even get a scratch on them and then what would you do. It's enough to make you switch to road riding. Low bottom brackets are bad. Just bad. bad, bad, bad.

fUUBi

Chimp
Dec 9, 2006
i don't buy the whole "plow bike" deal. i own a v10, and the only reason to call it a plow bike is because it has so much travel that you CAN plow thru and over anything. but that's at the rider's discretion. i run a fast rebound on my v10 and it is lively as sh!t. it's easy to bunny hop, it handles very nimble and it rides/feels light and active.
with the v10, you can slash and dash with the best of 'em, finesse over and around obstacles or plow thru if you so choose.
I agree. I can bunny hop my v10 better than a hardtail bike.
I dont think it sticks to the ground any more than other bikes. Besides it is very easy to jump over the things...
Good bike for dirtjumping too. :bonk:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
but i have heard post of people saying they can barely tell a glory and a sunday apart
I've spent time on a Glory and designed the Sunday. Those 2 bikes have very different riding feels in my opinion. Not similar at all in my opinion.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
o. well idk. i just reAd it. and how can you bunny hop your v10 better then a hardtail? that doesnt make sense

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
Ok guys i found a very good '07 sunday, and after what you told me i think that i will go for it.
It probably fits my riding style more.
Now my second big problem: the fork, but i will open a new topic for it.
Thanks all for the good advices!!

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
who could DW be? Take a lool at the Iron Horse Bikes and you will probably found a "DW" on some of them.........:brows:

Thank you DW for designing that awesome BIKE!!!!

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Ok guys i found a very good '07 sunday, and after what you told me i think that i will go for it.
It probably fits my riding style more.
Now my second big problem: the fork, but i will open a new topic for it.
Thanks all for the good advices!!
Good Choice!

Boxxers for sure

Nov 27, 2006
CA, San Jose
so im in the same position..but i think im in between plow and finese. Some times i like to pick good lines but others i like to smash through the rocks. Should i get an inbetween bike like the new M6 or something?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
well, you should decide on a riding style first...seriously though, i'd say an m6 is hardly in between. it's got a super low bb, it may be in between once you buy the newer drops though. which kind of riding do you prefer, plowing or finding lines? if you buy a bike that is made for, say, picking lines, you'll be rewarded for picking lines, and as a result try and do it more often. a turner, sunday, commencal, or morewood would work well for a nice nimble rig.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
im like 6'3" and ride a med 17" sunday. fits perfect. im not cramped on the bike and its really stable yet flick able and easy to control on anything.
Like the man says. I'm 5'8" and ride a med 17" Sunday. Fits perfect, Im not stetched on the bike and its really stable yet flick able and easy to control on anything.

Its all down to preference. Try and ride (not in the parking lot) both before you decide.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...

i've never ridden a sunday, but extrapilating from my 6point, i can only imagine that is a fun ride also.
Completely agree with you bud! i had a V10 and it was awsome, and was by no means a plow. Only people who cant ride say its a plow bike because thats all they can do!!!

Ive also had a Sunday, just a shame it fell apart. But anything with the new linkage seems to be solid, just could not Justify spending £250 on some new bearings and plates...:crazy:

Just a shame there were both to small for me. So im on an Large 08 Glory, which i love, and the parts are cheaper, and can be easyly brought all over the world!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Completely agree with you bud! i had a V10 and it was awsome, and was by no means a plow. Only people who cant ride say its a plow bike because thats all they can do!!!

Ive also had a Sunday, just a shame it fell apart. But anything with the new linkage seems to be solid, just could not Justify spending £250 on some new bearings and plates...:crazy:

Just a shame there were both to small for me. So im on an Large 08 Glory, which i love, and the parts are cheaper, and can be easyly brought all over the world!
No1 said it's impossible to ride more technicaly on a v10. It's just a bit easier and v10 makes plowing a bit easier. It's just nice to have a frame suiting your riding style, isn't it? Also some ppl make like plowing is something really bad while I know some really fast plowers.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
No1 said it's impossible to ride more technicaly on a v10. It's just a bit easier and v10 makes plowing a bit easier. It's just nice to have a frame suiting your riding style, isn't it? Also some ppl make like plowing is something really bad while I know some really fast plowers.
Woops yeah sorry, but yeah best to get a frame that suits you.:bonk:

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
Having ridden both a fair amount I'd agree with the concensus. The V10 works best for a rider that likes to run over the course and the Sunday works best for a rider that picks good lines. Of course the El Cuervo splits the difference between the two, but are very difficult to find used.
How good of a bike is the El Cuervo?

I have an oppurtunity to get a VERY good deal on one new, but I know very little about them, can you clue me in a bit?

STPIZZAY

Chimp
Nov 22, 2007
Sacramento
I would have to say go with the V-10.
If you have that bike properly adjusted to your weight, it will be the perfect DH bike .
It will corner way better than the sunday ever will, due to its 4 inch neg. travel @ 40% recommended sag.now that sounds like a lot, but the rear wheel path on a V-10 is made to sit right at about the 4 inch mark, where the chain tension holds it in place when pedaling, so it pedals surprisingly well for a ten inch DH bike, as well as eating up anything you happen to run over.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
I am on a Sunday, and was on a Yeti DH9 before that.
Both bikes suit me (MrPlow!) Sunday is point and shoot. it soaks up the rough stuff just fine but as said before cornering is superb.