Quantcast

US & UK Stance beginning to be proven RIGHT

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
For a campaign to become a full scale war...congress must first declare it as such, which we have not seen thus far, and will most likely not at all.

This campaign is going rather well so far.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Please correct me if I’m wrong. But didn’t the US use special forces guys out of uniform during the first gulf war? I’d suspect (and fully support) that we’d have Delta Force guys out of uniform and behind the lines. Not that I really think the Iraqis will pay attention to the Geneva Convention.

Damn. I miss the days of Colonel Klink and Sergeant Schultz.

Stellite

Monkey
Feb 21, 2002
ManASSas, VA
Originally posted by MMike
I had the exact same question.
I guess you guys didn't see the full film on al jazeera did you....

It is one thing to show prisoners of war and dead bodies it is another thing altogether to defile and make joke of dead bodies as the Iraqi soldiers were doing. Watch the film. On top of that the dead bodies all had head wounds. Not to say that they were executed, but if they were not, they were all definitely shot in the head afterwards.

Stellite

Monkey
Feb 21, 2002
ManASSas, VA
Originally posted by nicklin
Umm...We are in their country, bombing the **** of them, and trying to remove their their president. What the f**k did you expect the Iraqis to do? Treat us to a camel BBQ?
First off, lets get one thing straight, it is not the Iraqis but Saddams thugs that you are talking about. The Iraqis are too afraid to do anything against the maniac. Also if you heard the latest, one town is already attempting to rebel against sadaams thugs while the brits are attacking. Sounds to me like they are fighting back against the oppresive regime.

From your comments you appear not to think that saddams regime is bad or oppresive.

rbx

Monkey
Originally posted by Stellite
First off, lets get one thing straight, it is not the Iraqis but Saddams thugs that you are talking about. The Iraqis are too afraid to do anything against the maniac. Also if you heard the latest, one town is already attempting to rebel against sadaams thugs while the brits are attacking. Sounds to me like they are fighting back against the oppresive regime.

From your comments you appear not to think that saddams regime is bad or oppresive.
some Iraqis see the u.s army as liberators but that region has been invaded so many times before that alot of iraquis see it as another invasion of their country.

Stellite

Monkey
Feb 21, 2002
ManASSas, VA
Originally posted by rbx
some Iraqis see the u.s army as liberators but that region has been invaded so many times before that alot of iraquis see it as another invasion of their country.
I disagree. The other iraqis that are not fighting are living in fear, because the US and it's allies did not finish the job the first time, so they think that the US and allies will walk away again and then there will be retribution by saddam. It is very understandable. The only iraqis that see it as an invasion are the ones supporting the regime and afraid of what will happen when all the people that they have mistreated get revenge once the US and UK have freed them.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by Stellite
The only iraqis that see it as an invasion are the ones supporting the regime and afraid of what will happen when all the people that they have mistreated get revenge once the US and UK have freed them.
I'm sorry but that's a very naive point of view. Whether they love Saddam or hate him there will be a number of Iraqis who will fight regardless because as they see it their country is being invaded. Do you think all the millions of Russians that fought the Germans in WW2 loved Uncle Joe, do you think the Germans that fought on in 1945 all loved old Adolf? As an Iraqi I saw on the BBC explained "I hate Saddam but I'm an Iraqi nationalist so I'm fighting the Americans". Again your thinking is too simplistic, the situation is far more complex than you make out.
Disclaimer***** the above implies no endorsement of Saddam, hating of freedom or love of dictators (in anticipation of your inevitable reply)

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
some old Arab proverb one the Iraqi citizens said, "A face you know is better than a face you don't." So you can see why some (who knows how many) are fearful of both Saddam and the US... They know Saddam, and it's probably easier to trust that which they know than the invader. Hopefully we can prove to them (and ourselves) that this is not an imperial invasion.

If the UN decided to send some officials to clean up our voting problems in Florida, then tried to pull a "regime change" on Bush because of his agressive military-ness.... They'd look like an invader. Although many here would welcome it.

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
I've seen in the papers pics of iraqi's shot with the blood all over the show.
Woah prisioners of "campiagn" with head wounds. They were fighting. What do you reckon they just stod up and said hey hey that bullet was just a bit close for comfort, best I surrender.
Sheesh I've seen people beaten by cops and they were only getting arrested for protesting.

America doesn't have chemical weapons. Yup and I'm queen elizabeth. If america doesn't have anything to hide, why wo't they allow UN weapon inspectors to have a look around.

Yes there is a truck load of hyprocisy floating around this so called war (read unlawful invasion) and a huge amount seems to be coming from america.

Michael moore is being torn apart for using his freedom of speech in a country that is supposedlydriven by it. Pfft

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by SlackBoy
America doesn't have chemical weapons. Yup and I'm queen elizabeth. If america doesn't have anything to hide, why wo't they allow UN weapon inspectors to have a look around.
Who said that the US doesn't have chemical weapons? There are stacks of them right now in a few places. The US has not made a big secret about our possession of them. What they aren't is deployed. There is no current doctrine or strategy that calls for there use. As for monitoring, the UN doesn't, the Russians do. One of the strangest things I have seen was a Russian trying to order breakfast in Pine Bluff Arkansas. Actually the entire stockpile of chemical weapons is currently slated for destruction by 2004. And just to top that off, we haven't used them.

Yes there is a truck load of hyprocisy floating around this so called war (read unlawful invasion) and a huge amount seems to be coming from america.

Michael moore is being torn apart for using his freedom of speech in a country that is supposedlydriven by it. Pfft
You are right he is being torn apart for his using of freedom of speech. Its called FREEDOM OF SPEECH, it doesn't mean that you get a free pass for everything you say with no fear of criticism. I certainly haven't seen anyone pulling his books off the shelf or tossing him in prison or torturing him for his speech.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Is the BBC still a respected source of news? Here's an interseting article about the POW issue.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2883915.stm

Still seems strange to me that men fighting for the Taliban (the Afghan regime) and therefore defending their country (in their eyes at least) as opposed to Al Qaeda (terrorist organisation) should not be treated as prisoners of war.

Sets a dangerous precedent.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by SlackBoy
I'm getting tired of protestors getting upset that people are protesting against them. It cuts both ways so unwad them panties.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Fresh Air had a great show on war crimes last night. Roy Gutman was the guest, covering subjects including iPOW’s, unlawful combatants, targeting infrastructure, treachery and perfidy last night. The interpretations of these things are very subjective and compelling arguments can be made for just about any position.

Bottom line is the victors hold the trials….

Stellite

Monkey
Feb 21, 2002
ManASSas, VA
here is a good joke:

The Popes Hat
> > >
> > >
> > > >The Pope is visiting DC and President Bush takes him out for an
> > >afternoon on the Potomac...sailing on the Presidential yacht, the Sequoia.
>They're
> > >admiring the sights when, all of a sudden, the Pope's hat (zucchetto)
>blows
> > >off his head and out into the water. Secret service guys start to
>launch
>a
> > >boat, but Bush waves them off, saying "Wait, wait. I'll take care of
>this.
> > >Don't worry."
> > > >Bush then steps off the yacht onto the surface of the water and
> > >walks out to the Holy Father's little hat, bends over and picks it up,
>then
> > >walks back to the yacht and climbs aboard. He hands the hat to the Pope
> > >amid stunned silence.