Quantcast

UPS, FedEx, Etc,... who do you use?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Okay, I know this has been gone over again and again, but I'm sick of this sh!te. How do these companies stay in business if they keep losing my stuff? Is this happening to everyone else out there too? What's the deal?

I ordered some prints last week(Monday morning) from some digital media and had them 2 day'd through FedEx. Here it is eight days later and no prints. I emailed their cusotmer service after they were a day late and got a response saying that they were in transit. Whatever. My wife called yesterday and had them put a trace on them, and now they call and say they can't find them and I have to file a claim? wtf!!?!!?

Now, I don't order that much stuff that needs to be delivered, but I do my fair share. A few years ago, I sold a Yeti frame to a guy and shipped it to him via UPS. He received it and delivered a cashiers check to the UPS guy on receipt. A week goes by, no check. two weeks, no check. UPS puts a trace on it. C'mon, I'm a poor bike shop employee who needs the measly $500 bucks to pay rent and what not! So I wait,... and wait,... and wait. Two months and many phone calls later, UPS finally issues me a check. I deposit it and use it to move across the country. A week goes by and the original check show up. eeF them, I cash it. A week later and they've got a collection notice on me. I needed the cash two months before, but how do you fight a giant like UPS. I stopped doing business with them.

Am I supposed to stop using FedEx? What next, USMail? I'd love to switch to DHL, but how do you choose your shipping agent when you buy something online when they usually contract with either UPS or FedEx?

What do you all do, or are you guys getting 100% of your packages?

Sorry to complain, I just got off the phone with them, and I needed to rant.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Well I personally hate UPS because they persistently refuse to deliver anything to me while I'm at work and send it back to sender. I've stopped using them as well as a result.

I don't have much sympathy for you though. If you tried to scam them out of $500 they deserve to collect it back.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Barbaton said:
I don't have much sympathy for you though. If you tried to scam them out of $500 they deserve to collect it back.
Scam them? I looked at it as payment for losing my stuff two months prior. Obviously they didn't and they didn't even feel responsible for losing the check. btw, they got their money back directly.

It seems that in todays world, I can't even get a person to make an apology when they f*ck up. C'mon, a couple simple words are at least something.

I've worked in customer service for far too long and understand how to treat someone properly. I'm starting to lose sympathy for the tellers who die when some bastid walks in to the post office with an AK, and I hate that I feel like that.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It boggles my mind that you're mad that they tried to collect their $500 back. Don't go in with that "it was a payment for lost goods" B.S., you tried to profit $500 and now you're mad that they figured it out?! They fixed their initial error by reimbursing you.

Gimme a break :rolleyes:. If the bank f**ks up and puts extra money into your account, it's still not yours to spend and if you do, they'll still charge you for it.

For me, anything worth less than $75 goes USPS. If it's worth over $30, I'll put insurance/delivery confirmation on it. Anything over that goes FedEx simply because I've had bunches of good experiences with them.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences, but I've had nothing but good luck with FedEx. There's a Kinkos/FedEx near my house and my wife and I have used them several times. All good experiences.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i've had issues with USPS, UPS, and FedEx. if USPS had a better tracking system, i'd use them without thought.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I use USPS whenever possible, they almost always have better rates and better transit times. If I absolutely have to, I'll use UPS or FedEx, but in my opinion they both suck about equally.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Until the warp transmorgifier comes out, stop whining. A couple hundred years ago messages were shipped by boat, train, and horse. ;)

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Much better now. Problems worked out. FedEx reimbursing the Photo Developer for the oversize prints. Kodak is shipping them out again overnight.

Sorry for the emotional rant.

As for the $500, as I stated, I was a poor bike shop mechanic who lived from paycheck to paycheck and needed the money at the time I sold the frame. I missed some bills because of their 'losing' the check and ended up setting my financial history back a year or so through poor credit scores. Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to 'scam' them. It was not my intention and I only included the info to throw in another example of poor service I received in the past. C'mon, we were all young and stupid once with things we did.

This post was put up to find out if others were having similar problems. My main question was how are these companies staying in business if this is the kind of service people receive?

FedEx has not done me wrong before. I just held them up on a much higher rung then UPS, who has done me wrong on multiple occasions. USPS has always treated me just fine, and I wish I could use them for all my shipping.

So, no comments about DHL, who I also can't use?

Oh yeah, and the cheese I had on my sandwich at lunch went very well with the whine. Thank you. My dad also used to have to walk to school uphill both ways in the dark. Who cares what they did with mail 200 years ago. This is the 21st century and we have the ability to not make these kinds of mistakes.

But yeah, when the transmorgifier comes out, I'll be spending my lunch breaks snowboarding in the Alps,... Strap in,....*click <zap>

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I have had bad luck with Fed-ex a few times. More than once I waited for what seemed like forever for a package to arrive and I looked up the confirmation number online only to find that it had been delivered and signed for by "B. Porch" The jerk driver had signed for it and left it on the back porch. The problem was that it wasn't my back porch that he left it on and the package was never seen again. They ask for a phone number when shipping. If the driver isn't sure where to deliver it ask for freaking directions!

This happened a couple of times. Once the package was just gone (They did reimburse me for the value of the package but it was a signed and numbered print and there was no real way for them to even make it up to me). The second time a nice neighbor figured out who I was and hand delivered it to me.