Quantcast

understanding effective top tube

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Im fairly close to getting a Nicolai ion ST but cant decide what size I need.
The geometry on the Nicolai site seems to show the top tube a little on the short side - http://nicolai.net/pdf/Ion ST 2010.pdf
I cant tell if thats actual or effective top tube.
If its "effective" even the large seems a little short for me (just under 6 foot)
If its "actual" is there anyway to calculate the effective TT?

Thanks for any help!

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
I had this exact issue with my medium 09 Wilson. Bought a SDG I-beam setup, pushed the saddle farther back and enjoyed my ride ever since (I'm 5'10). Be careful with the plastic rails, they snap off if pushed too far due to high leverage. Your best bet is to buy a SDG saddle and Kore I-beam layback post. As for stack/reach, I think you will be fine with the medium. It seems plenty long with a short chainstay, like the older demos.

Last edited:

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
On DH bikes I look at wheelbase - chain stay. Since you're not sitting down most of the time your reach is really from where your feet are to your bars. Seat tubes, if you continue them to the height of the BB, start further forward on different bikes. So you'll have a shorter TT measurement (effective or not) in comparison to bikes with the same "reach" as I call it.

The comment on seat tube angle is also a good point, it will vary between brands.

I think the wheel base and chain stay is a more consistent way. Anyone else look at this?