Quantcast

UCI to allow Disc Brakes in Road Races

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The UCI Rules Committee announced that professional teams will be allowed to use disc brakes in all races for 2016. “We think this will help cyclists at all levels spend more money,” said committee chairman Snookie van der Sluit in a press release.

“There is a significant need for disc brakes among manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers in every market segment,” said van der Sluit. “And disc brakes allow them to meet the need for more customer expenditures, which is a key component in making cycling even less affordable as a sport or recreational activity while simultaneously accelerating the twin trends of planned obsolescence and product incompatibility.”

Reactions in the cycling world were generally positive. “I don’t give two fucks what we ride, all my shit’s free,” said Fabian Cancellara when asked about the rule change.

Mike Sinyard, president of Specialized, was equally enthusiastic. “I’d definitely give two fucks, probably even ten,” he said. “Although braking performance in wet conditions is offset by the greater weight and the pain-in-the-ass factor of through-axles, getting every pro on a disc brake is crucial if we’re going to make weekend warriors insecure about not having the latest trick shit. And that’s the fulcrum behind every meaningful bike purchase these days.”

Simon Mottram, CEO of Rapha Clothing for Gentlemen and Gentlegirls, saw huge opportunities in the new rule. “Cyclists have shown a huge appetite for spending more money, and the fact that disc brakes are better in the rain, an environment in which no one with a brain ever rides, is a key sales point. Now the flabby flabber who only goes out when it’s 65 and sunny can buy a whole new bike and wheelset to feel better about the possibility of riding in the rain, even though the actual chances of him doing it are zero. And we have a new line of disc gentlemen rainy pink clothing to go with it, a cute motif of baby whales with pink spouts.”

Derek Bouchard-Hall, the new CEO of USA Cycling, gushed about the new ruling. “Expensive? Yes. Requires replacement of your current $15k wheel quiver? Yes. A guarantee that fewer kids will get into cycling? Yes. More ad revenue as manufacturers and retailers seek our platform to tout the new technology? YEEESSSSS!!!”

Frumpy McDangle, local trail boss for the South Bay Sunday Fritter Crawl, was more circumspect. “I’m sure it’s a great idea,” he said, “but I haven’t bought a new piece of bicycle equipment since they came out with derailleurs, so unless it helps me with my morning dump I’ll probably pass.”

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Dics on road bikes rules however I actually think it's much more the average rider who will benefit than the Pro tour.

A hot rotor I think it's low on the list of concerns between riding super light carbon frames, high speed and tons of nasty tarmac to crash on.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have always thought that Road Bike Brakes were kind of sketchy. Improving them can only be a benefit to any reasonable person. Go to a bike shop and ride a disc equipped road bike. Just badass!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have one (a disc road bike), and I bought it after I made fun of other people for putting discs on road bikes. I bought it mostly so I could take advantage of wicked cheap carbon rims out of china without worrying about braking surfaces. Still haven't taken advantage of that.

Some notes I have:
Braking performance is way better than SRAM Apex calipers on used up old alloy rims.
BB5s suck. They either drag or require a ton of lever throw. I have TrRDs to replace them.
Removing and installing the wheel is no more complicated than any other bike ever, and in fact it's much easier for me since the wheel simply drops out without having to unhook the caliper, which I've forgotten to do before on the road bike with rim brakes.

I was a little worried about wheel strength, and also aerodynamics, but then I remembered A) I ride road for fun and fitness, and B) I'm fuckin' 200lbs, a damned brake rotor isn't going to make me any slower than that third cheeseburger will. My mountain bikes with 29" wheels, disc brakes, and QR axles have been safe and sound...I'm not worried about a road bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dics on road bikes rules however I actually think it's much more the average rider who will benefit than the Pro tour.

A hot rotor I think it's low on the list of concerns between riding super light carbon frames, high speed and tons of nasty tarmac to crash on.
How about the severed digits that will go flying when someone puts there hand into another riders disk.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That happens so often with spokes though. So often.

I agree it doesn't make a ton of sense in the pro peleton, but the only thing that does is more dope and new UCI rules for frame design.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
How about the severed digits that will go flying when someone puts there hand into another riders disk.
Whatever can create some additional action in the road peloton is good. Or you are they guy who love watching the last day of the Tour de France

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My takeaway from reading the comments:

-People are being forced to turn faster because they can't jam on their brakes. Makes me wonder how slow these dudes are in the first place. Especially if they're gonna drop that kind of money to save a few grams.

-the rotors were known to reduce stopping distances. They guy making them spins it as "oh hey now you can go faster!" Marketing dipshittery at its finest.

-any rotor (or any other kind of component) that takes that kind of break in cycle isn't a viable race product. Unless you're gonna buy them in bulk and break in all of them at the same time so they're ready to swap out when one inevitably breaks.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
If you ride lots of mtns and/or wet weather discs make a lot of sense on a roadie. Just spinning between coffee shops in team replica kit, not so much.

SDet

Monkey
Nov 19, 2014
Boulder Co
My takeaway from reading the comments:

-People are being forced to turn faster because they can't jam on their brakes. Makes me wonder how slow these dudes are in the first place. Especially if they're gonna drop that kind of money to save a few grams.

-the rotors were known to reduce stopping distances. They guy making them spins it as "oh hey now you can go faster!" Marketing dipshittery at its finest.

-any rotor (or any other kind of component) that takes that kind of break in cycle isn't a viable race product. Unless you're gonna buy them in bulk and break in all of them at the same time so they're ready to swap out when one inevitably breaks.
Or you buy them pre broken in, like auto racing and pre heat cycled tires.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
There are no bikes or situations I can imagine where better brakes aren't always preferred.

edit: short of track or bmx, of course.