Quantcast

UCI / Discovery channel

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Watched that earlier. Entertaining as usual but a little bit of a disappointment after his openness and honesty throughout the RC podcast.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Also the logic of "I watch sports so I'm a commentary expert. Is bs logic. By that logic everyone who watches films is a movie direction expert".
Far too common but definitely more of a male thing. You only need to stand on any football terrace or in a pub showing the game on a Saturday to witness that deluded logic in full effect.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Far too common but definitely more of a male thing. You only need to stand on any football terrace or in a pub showing the game on a Saturday to witness that deluded logic in full effect.
Football fans are why I'm not a football fan anymore.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I love Football. And IMO it's a MOAR awesome game than it ever has been. If you haven't for some time you should take a look. It's not actually compulsory to become an arsehole when you watch it.
I don't support a team. Just enjoy the game.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I love Football. And IMO it's a MOAR awesome game than it ever has been. If you haven't for some time you should take a look. It's not actually compulsory to become an arsehole when you watch it.
I am trying to limit my hobbies as I already have to watch TV and Films for work but I get it might be fun even if people who talk about football at work are annoying AF. Otherwise I'd give it a chance but my time is finite even when my loins didn't produce any minions.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Gary,why is Football moar awesome right now? What League,Country,are you talking about? What league do you watch?

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Gary,why is Football moar awesome right now? What League,Country,are you talking about? What league do you watch?

Avy
as with Downhill skill and fitness levels have risen. But also through management and tactics. and right through to kids level.
I'm in Scotland. But I don't watch a lot of Scottish football as with a lot less money in it it's often a 3rd class performance plus the difference between the top couple of clubs and the also rans us ridiculous. I go to the odd game with my daughter who does support a Scottish team. I'll mainly watch English and European games and the odd international

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
as with Downhill skill and fitness levels have risen. But also through management and tactics. and right through to kids level.
I'm in Scotland. But I don't watch a lot of Scottish football as with a lot less money in it it's often a 3rd class performance plus the difference between the top couple of clubs and the also rans us ridiculous. I go to the odd game with my daughter who does support a Scottish team. I'll mainly watch English and European games and the odd international
Yeah,I knew where you are and the daughter. She is doing good? I have not seen an update on her regarding her football. Last we talked it was about her cleats that she wears on the Pitch.

I have not been watching any football. That is to say a “whole” game. I have La Liga and English. As well as Turkish and French,the African Cup and a lot more. I was thinking about killing that channel I pay extra for. Just can’t seem to do it yet?

You like the goal line technology?

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
She is doing good? I have not seen an update on her regarding her football.
Yeah. All good cheers for asking. Signed with another team this season after some seriously poor restructuring decisions (pricks in charge basically) at her old club. Means a lot more travelling (3hr round trip) for training and home games. But worth it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
so this popped up in my youtube feed:

I decided to watch it, just to see how the commenting works in DH skiing. was let down by the lack of commentating, but then I started hearing Rob's voice in my head: "oh, he's up! he's up!" and "look at the time", particularly while watching Marco Odermatt's run ( 11:45 to 13:44)...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
We are back to cable boys. Just with streaming. Though I get this sucks as DH used to not be controled by cable.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Wasn't DH's hey-day back when it used to be controlled by Cable? In the Grundig days of Volvo-Cannondale and Tomac and stuff? Big viewership (even if it's not from loyal fans) means big advertising revenue?

FWIW, I still don't know how I will be able to watch in Canada. I don't have cable, so that's not an option. I guess I'll see which platform they'll bundle this with? Or just figure out how to work a VPN...

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
GCN told me they'd refund 33$ from last year's subscription and they just dick around since mid-December saying that they've sent it to my CC company, but I can't find it on my statements.

Like @slyfink , I still have no clue how I'll be able to watch it the races this year, but so far, I'm inclined to find the pirate live feed and watch the pits bro-coverage instead. I have asked them what will be our option to watch the races and will report back when I get an answer.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Wasn't DH's hey-day back when it used to be controlled by Cable? In the Grundig days of Volvo-Cannondale and Tomac and stuff? Big viewership (even if it's not from loyal fans) means big advertising revenue?

FWIW, I still don't know how I will be able to watch in Canada. I don't have cable, so that's not an option. I guess I'll see which platform they'll bundle this with? Or just figure out how to work a VPN...
How do you define heyday? I think too many times we equate mass appeal or visibility with something that is automatically good while I think most of us agree pre covid times were pretty sweet for DH. Better and Better RB coverage, teams doing a lot of great content on their own, more riders getting visibility than now and no sponsorship crunche we have now.

Also you don't need cable it will be streamed. It's just an extra charge to a streaming package this year. Many companies are going there as basically everyone without netflix's scale has to do it to get money. (believe me it's way more annoying when you're working in it and have to have a meeting about 9214 streaming "channels" and pretend you understand them all). The Netflix streaming model is basically an anomaly since it's only viable if you can grow a global platform cheap and it was only viable at the start of the streaming wars and when loans against ones stock were cheap.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
jealous!

(no, really. we could use some fucking snow out this way. :( )
I'm out

Summer is going to be here on Friday!

1707426467162.png

I have to leave work early for an appointment tomorrow and was going to ride after, but damn how shit will the trails be? Only one way to find out. :rofl: :rofl:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Excitement, energy, growth, money. those days had it all.
I'd argue Freecaster to Redbull days had more of it. We got more media, more info. The sport was growing while being accessible and not selling out. The field was also deeper.

Also the broadcast quality was meh. I remember watching it. Not that you expected it to be better. WE had no comparison.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
erm... WE totally did. Previous to Freecaster Eurosport broadcast the WC for years.
with Mark Beisegel doing the commentary.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Some of Lance's money is in that pile.
I doubt he is the main person behind their current expansion. Maybe behind their early days 3-4 years ago sure but now? Their budget seems to be insane given what they are. I expect this to end up badly unless they magically get low churn on those subs. Since they seem to have more sponsorship than Garmin, Polar, Sunto and every other sports watch company combined while having basically 1 product only aimed at very dedicated athletes and no lifestyle/casual products for people who buy gym memberships but never go... Ok just checked and it's Softbank, a company know for Dot.Com level bubbles. This will be another Jawbone.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yep, SoftBank is a big lol. But it is funny seeing tech billionaires shovel money into a furnace.
Any industry that attracts too many people who want to be cool and into "new trends" ends up with a room of people trying to fellate themselves. Marketing and Tech. I love when all tech media were hyping up softbank as those 2000 IQ big brain investors.

How many companies actually succeeded with the tech model of "spend borrowed money like a crazy person until you reach a monopoly" ? Netflix and that's because they basically invented their own market when others compete with established companies.

Who remembers when Peloton was valued (pre IPO) at 30% of the whole fitness industry? Fun times. The thing is all the tech bros got their bonus, sold their shares so no one is deincentivised to not create companies with false valuations. Too bad I expect people will start getting guillotined when I'm to old to defend myself against the angry mob.