Quantcast

twin cities culture clash: some cabbies won't carry passengers w/ booze

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Muslim cabbies refuse alcohol-toting fares
MINNEAPOLIS, Oct. 11 (UPI) -- Many Muslim cabdrivers in Minneapolis have sparked debate by saying their religion prohibits them from driving passengers who are carrying alcoholic beverages.

The drivers, whose beliefs are not shared by all Muslims, have been refusing to carry passengers at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport who have alcohol in their luggage and have asked dispatchers not to summon them for fares to and from liquor stores and bars, USA Today reported Wednesday.

"When I'm American, I have freedom to practice my religion and freedom to work anyplace I want to work," Abdisalam Hashim, a Muslim from Somalia and manager of Bloomington Taxi told USA Today. "This is the way we address Islam ... We have the right to say this is how we do it."

However, some have said the drivers are attempting to impost Islamic law on passengers, thereby discriminating against people of other faiths.

"These taxi cab drivers basically think they're living in they're own countries where it's OK to impose your religious beliefs upon others," Kamal Nawash, president of the Free Muslims Coalition, a group advocating separation of religion and government, told the newspaper.
so how do they handle picking up drunks from bars?
are there no mormon cab drivers who act similarly?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
i noticed that too. these guys are asking for trouble from their own kind, being advocates against a theocracy, for women's rights, and eschewing zionophobia.
here's their website: http://www.freemuslims.org/ (notice anything funny about the background picture at the top?)
Weren't you lamenting about how there aren't any Muslims who are speaking out against terrorists, etc.? Do these guys fit the bill?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Weren't you lamenting about how there aren't any Muslims who are speaking out against terrorists, etc.? Do these guys fit the bill?
from their "modern islam" page:
The Coalition seeks to encourage discussion among Muslims about every aspect of their religion as it applies to modern times. The unwillingness of the Muslim religious establishment to consider modernizing the faith has relegated most Muslims to third world status and in many instances to a medieval existence.

Those who seek change are often afraid to speak out because of the aggressive and violent nature of those Muslims who reject change. The silence of peaceful Muslims has resulted in the hijacking of Islam by extremists and terrorists. This must change.

The Coalition seeks to give a voice to these reformers and fearlessly challenges the extremists and those who justify terrorism.
so, their heart's in the right place, but it seems to be in the "seek to encourage dialogue" phase at present. hope they make inroads within their own faith, but i must confess this is one stock i'm going short.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
from their "modern islam" page:so, their heart's in the right place, but it seems to be in the "seek to encourage dialogue" phase at present. hope they make inroads within their own faith, but i must confess this is one stock i'm going short.
Why? Are they not going far enough?

Edit: Not trying to be an a-hole here, I'm actually wondering what you would have them do.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Why? Are they not going far enough?

Edit: Not trying to be an a-hole here, I'm actually wondering what you would have them do.
valid question.
beyond what they're already doing, i got nuthin'.

like i wrote before, they're not looking too effective, but not for lack of trying.

it's easier to whip up a good froth all in the name of victimhood than it is to take a hard look in the mirror.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I like to call this tactic "Subtle Terrorism"
Its ingenious. Instead of blowing us up with our own forms of mass transportation (ie, busses and planes) they'll refuse to drive us when we're drunk and we'll blow ourselves up! DAMN YOU BUSH!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
how 'bout 12/07/41?

That would apply if we had invaded Guatemala in retaliation. But seriously yes to 12/07/41, should it have changed our response? No. I've always thought Americans were hyper emotional to calamity.

Anyways the Japanese were just trying to liberate the Hawaiians.;)

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
But seriously yes to 12/07/41, should it have changed our response? No. I've always thought Americans were hyper emotional to calamity.
might go back to manifest-destiny, so we don't take it as hard when 100,000 hutus hack 100,00 tutsis, or when a few million die in chinese floods, or 140,00 indonesians get scrubbed by a tsunami, or a few million sudanese get butchered & displaced...

we write a fat check & beat our chest at how much we care.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
are there no mormon cab drivers who act similarly?
I've had booze/been tanked in many a cab, and I'm betting many a Mormon cabbie. Ooh, and bus, and train...once I got kicked off the train for having a 40. I did happen to be drinking it at the time...and booze drinking is prohibited on the train...

But if I was the cab company, I'd just fire the cabbies who wouldn't drive passengers with alcohol.

Is there really any other point to taxi cabs than shuttling me around when I'm plastered?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Is there a taxi code or oath of professional conduct that states drivers must pick up all occupants? It's not like they're religous pharmacists who are refusing to fill morning-after pill prescriptions. Anyway, my understanding of taxi drivers is that they pay the vehicle owner a fixed fee to use the car. Do they also pay a fee based on the fare?

Seriously, how different is this from the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" rule?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Is there a taxi code or oath of professional conduct that states drivers must pick up all occupants?
but for those who refuse to carry, it seems any code comes second to sharia, which demonstrates an unwillingness to assimilate.

it's only annoying when limited to just a handful of cabbies; it's a serious problem if this gets momentum.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
No problem. Boycott Muslim drivers for <insert own reason>. Makes as much sense as their interpretation of the Koran.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
This is stupid.

It's like the dmn right to life pharmacists not handing out birth control.

It's part of your job, you do it.

It would be like me working at Burger King and telling everyone that because I am a vegetarian, NOBODY is eating cow.

which leads me to........
-because of their beliefs, is anyone going to be allowed in the cab with pork?
-Are single women going to be allowed in the cab?
-Are women without their head covered going to be allowed in the cab?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
This is stupid.

It's like the dmn right to life pharmacists not handing out birth control.

It's part of your job, you do it.

It would be like me working at Burger King and telling everyone that because I am a vegetarian, NOBODY is eating cow.

which leads me to........
-because of their beliefs, is anyone going to be allowed in the cab with pork?
-Are single women going to be allowed in the cab?
-Are women without their head covered going to be allowed in the cab?
What if you're a single woman, drunk, and eating a bacon cheeseburger without even hairspray on?? Would that mean that the cabby would have to kill the infidel on the spot?

These are the questions that I want answered!!

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
Is there a taxi code or oath of professional conduct that states drivers must pick up all occupants? It's not like they're religous pharmacists who are refusing to fill morning-after pill prescriptions. Anyway, my understanding of taxi drivers is that they pay the vehicle owner a fixed fee to use the car. Do they also pay a fee based on the fare?

Seriously, how different is this from the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" rule?
I drove cab for a few months when I was between jobs. Drunk fares were most of my business. You usually lease the car for a fixed daily rate (unless you own your own car). You cannot discriminate against fares based on, race, religion, etc., but you can refuse a fare that seems like they will be too much trouble (no puking in the car, please).

I'm all for freedom of religion, but this is going too far. If you don't want to pick up drunk fares, find a differant job. The cab company can fire them, for sure.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Why should I have to do business with someone I don't want to?
Because blind people are starting to have trouble getting in cabs with guide dogs with some Muslim drivers because they consider the dogs "unclean."

If you're running a service that requires public access, you better be ready to let the public in. It's not like these cab drivers woke up one morning and said: "Oh my god, you mean I have to pick people up in this thing?"

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Why should I have to do business with someone I don't want to?
if it's a condition of employment, your employer certainly is under no obligation to retain you. i think these select few fellas are going for the "driver has the right to refuse service to anyone", but is finding this is true for a cab owner, and not neccesarily true for the cab employee.

next question is: does the owning cab company sympathize with the drivers? not sure where the governing agency steps in & cracks someone across the knuckles, but a few well-placed lawyers could get their attention.

update: Airport Drops Muslim Cabbie Compromise

i wonder how these drivers would view a same-sex fare who were obviously a couple. good opportunity for a hidden camera expose.

as an aside, i didn't realize until now this issue is not exactly breaking news, but rather the scale is, now that there are hundreds of muslim taxis.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I'm certainly not equivocating here!!

What's the difference between this and say Greyhound (the bus company) making all other races than whites sit at the back of the bus or not accepting the other's fares at all?

Opinions....?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I'm certainly not equivocating here!!

What's the difference between this and say Greyhound (the bus company) making all other races than whites sit at the back of the bus or not accepting the other's fares at all?

Opinions....?
got a whiff of civil rights violation, for one, which is actually smellier than what you'd normally notice on a greyhound.

tangential: why is greyhound spelt englishy?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
For now, though, taxi drivers who refuse to carry these travelers will continue to forfeit their place in the taxi queue and return to the back of the line, which often means a three-hour wait for another fare.
sounds like a perfect solution to me. don't want to take passengers w/ alcohol? fine, go wait another 3 hours and hope that that fare doesn't have alcohol.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
sounds like a perfect solution to me. don't want to take passengers w/ alcohol? fine, go wait another 3 hours and hope that that fare doesn't have alcohol.
that's what i was thinking; seems like a self-correcting/self-punishing situation.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
tangential: why is greyhound spelt englishy?
More to the point, why did you freaks feel the need to change it in the first place? Admit it, it was a spelling mistake by a Yank who was too pigheaded to change it when his mistake was pointed out by a Brit.