Quantcast

Turner DHR vs. Ironhorse Sunday

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Well, I went through this earlier this summer. I wanted a new race bike and narrowed it down to the Sunday and the DHR. I went for the DHR for several reasons. First, the bb on the Sunday is about 1/2" lower then the DHR and I ride a lot of deep rockgardens, this is just a consideration not a deal breaker because on the other hand the low bb does aid in cornering and steep chutes. Second, I was concerned about stiffness/durability of the links on the Sunday, the DHR has a fairly stiff rear end. Third, the Sunday was not available w/ a DHX (this is an 05 I'm talking about). Fourth, I have experience with Turner's quality and customer service, both are unparallel in the industry (in my experience).
My main concern with the DHR was brake jack as I was coming off a frame w/ a floater. I was able to test ride a DHR belonging to a friend in some nasty terrain, and found the bike behaved very well even when I used the brakes in all the wrong ways.
Now that I have had the bike for several months I just like it more each time I ride it. It took a couple weeks of riding for the suspension to break in, it was a bit harsh over square edged, slower speed hits at first. Now it is so plush through the rocks that I have stopped to see if my rear tire is going flat... The handling on this bike is incredible, I know it has been said before but this bike corners and changes direction like no other dh bike I have ridden. The progressive suspension rate is very well worked out as well, I leave all the adjustments on the DHX full open (except rebound of course) and it pedals great and seems near impossible to bottom. The DHR's low stand over height and low c.o.g. make it very confidence inspiring and comfortable in the air.
Now I must say either bike could make most anyone happy, but I am pleased with the choice I made and will be on a DHR next year as well.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
dw said:
If you were trying to insinuate that dw-link is somehow a copy of an Azonic Worldorce it would be both unfounded and asinine, but I know you know a lot better than that, so I guess your motives are just misunderstood.
dictionary.com said:
as·i·nine adj.

1. Utterly stupid or silly: asinine behavior.
2. Of, relating to, or resembling an ass.
:nuts:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
bizutch said:
Luc's opinions don't count...he doesn't even get his bikes dirty.... :love:
of all the DH bikes I've owned - I think the Sunday has got the dirtiest!! :eviltongu it still has Whistler mud on it!!! :sneaky:

Todd - you tease!!!! :nuts:

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Acadian said:
of all the DH bikes I've owned - I think the Sunday has got the dirtiest!! :eviltongu it still has Whistler mud on it!!! :sneaky:
Yeah I was in Whistler the same time as you. My Gemini, which is now very broken, still had Whistler mud all over it!

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
bizutch said:
the geometry's, weights and angles of both are very similar

not true at all...the turner's BB is around and inch higher and a degree steeper.....I drilled my turner out so that the geometry is virtually identical to that of a sunday, and it rides like a totally different machine....a stock turner and stock sunday ride very differently.....

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Acadian said:
Heck, I love this bike so much that I'm thinking of getting an MK III for trail riding and see how the DW-Link performs for aggressive trail riding. Really want to test it in parallel with the 5-spot, which at this point is the best trail riding bike I’ve ever owned.
ha...I'm considering the opposite...since I love my MK3 so much for trails I have been contemplating a Sunday :D

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Would any other sponsored riders or Iron Horse employees/associates like to chime in........?...

All the sponsored "Key Influencers" are front and center for this one.....lol..... :dancing:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Cant Climb said:
Would any other sponsored riders or Iron Horse employees/associates like to chime in........?...

All the sponsored "Key Influencers" are front and center for this one.....lol..... :dancing:
who are you considering "sponsored" riders?

BMXman...thought you were going to say "I'm going to sell my MK3 and get a 5-spot" ;) what size is you're MKIII? I'm thinking of getting a 17"

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Acadian said:
who are you considering "sponsored" riders?

BMXman...thought you were going to say "I'm going to sell my MK3 and get a 5-spot" ;) what size is you're MKIII? I'm thinking of getting a 17"
mine is a 17" but I'm looking for a 19"...I don't really like running a 110mm stem...D

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Cant Climb said:
Anyone getting favors of anykind......usually this pirce breaks but not neccessarily......
Humm…if anyone that get price breaks on parts/bikes/gear were restricted to comment on them – then you wouldn’t get to much feedback since a high percentage of people here get price breaks (or bro deals).

okay I've already reached my post quota for today...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Acadian said:
Humm…if anyone that get price breaks on parts/bikes/gear were restricted to comment on them – then you wouldn’t get to much feedback since a high percentage of people here get price breaks (or bro deals).

okay I've already reached my post quota for today...
yeah.....ok......you're a "Key Influencer" then.......

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Jeremy R said:
Yeah Luc, you Key Influencer you.
Why you always fluencing peeps huh?
If People magazine made a Top Key Influencer list you would be #1.

WTF :blah:
this is a good "infomercial" thread....

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
renegade999 said:
Where are the SEI boys on that list?
I was actually making fun of the fact that Luc got called a Top Influencer, because the word is funny and makes no sense.
Luc, evidently got the joke and therefore posted a pic of his successful twin, the homo rumored catcher for the Mets. :thumb:

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
MX 887 said:
Thanks that really helps.
One question do you notice a big difference in suspension travel through hard hit sections and rockgardens.
The bikes perform differently in rock gardens, but most of that is attributed to the wheel sizes. The Turner's bigger wheel rolls through better than the Bighit's 24".
On hard hits the suspension feels bottomless on the DHR. I don't think I ever bottomed my Bighit out, but there is a definite difference, the DHR's suspension you can sink in and just keep going.

I think either bike will be a huge improvement over the Bighit, you can't really go wrong.