Quantcast

Tuesday GMT - This is the one

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

As Nick noted, chilly this morning. Ride in on the scooter was "refreshing", hoping it stays cool, would like to do a run this evening.

Anyone ever been to South Bend Indiana? The airline just announced a new hangar will be opening up there, promotional opportunities abound. Rumor is also floating around about a new facility in Austin. :think:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Anyone ever been to South Bend Indiana? The airline just announced a new hangar will be opening up there, promotional opportunities abound. Rumor is also floating around about a new facility in Austin. :think:
I've been.
Small, high unemployment and not so great crime. There used to be a ton of manufacturing jobs in that area, those left some time ago. It would a massive change from the Springs.
Upside is low cost of living, surprisingly good trail riding in southern MI and proximity to the Lake.

Never been to Austin, but I know I'd go there vs South Bend.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
That seems like enough info.

Not that we'd really be going anywhere. We've got it way too good here to go anywhere short of just some kind of unbelievably good job offer. Plus, if we go someplace else, I might have to start working for a living. :panic:

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Mornin! Oh the joys of apartment living; someone complained yesterday about the sanding I've been doing while refinishing a few furniture pieces. Then we came home to find water pouring in through a crack between the window and the wall. The maintenance man said to put a towel there to soak everything up and he'd be by in the morning. :rolleyes:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
:wave:

As Nick noted, chilly this morning. Ride in on the scooter was "refreshing", hoping it stays cool, would like to do a run this evening.

South Bend, IN? Yeah... I went to college in Kalamzoo, MI. So yeah, I've been to South Bend.

So there's... uhhh...

Sorry - I got nothin'... you might check with Full Trucker. He *lived* in IN before he escaped many moons ago.

With regards to Austin - I've heard it's the best part of Texas. Not exactly sure how good that makes it, but...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I've been.
Small, high unemployment and not so great crime. There used to be a ton of manufacturing jobs in that area, those left some time ago. It would a massive change from the Springs.
Upside is low cost of living, surprisingly good trail riding in southern MI and proximity to the Lake.
This would be compared to the EXTREMELY $HITTY riding in the Midwest in general.

Don't forget - the weather is $hitty both summer *and* winter.

The lake thing is nice if you give a $hit about big bodies of water and beaches.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
morning.

At work pretending to be busy like usual... meh...

I realized last night that I haven't been out on the bikes in about a month. That's crazy! I need to do something about that this weekend.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Still monsooning. Apparently the entirety of one of our go-to local rides has been washed away.

... you might check with Full Trucker. He *lived* in IN before he escaped many moons ago.
Nick covered it pretty well. Although I would add that even after living in Colorado and riding bikes all over the place, I would likely still consider the trails in southern Michigan as well as southern Indiana to be "fun". That said...

This.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
<snip>

Nick covered it pretty well. Although I would add that even after living in Colorado and riding bikes all over the place, I would likely still consider the trails in southern Michigan as well as southern Indiana to be "fun".
But that is *only* because, well, all trails are fun. And riding bikes is fun. And what the eff - if you find yourself in IN/MI you should ride the trails. Because... well... because ride.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Que? Which trail (if public information)?
What Nick said: Apex. Closed due to water damage, entire sections washed away. Also portions of Mathews/Winters are closed because they're under water. And it's Still.Fvcking.Raining.

https://www.facebook.com/jeffcoopenspace said:
This afternoon's rain brought significant damage/washouts to several areas of our parks. We are verifying reports that Apex Trail has washed out completely in certain areas. Right now water is flowing heavily down the trail. Apex Trail is closed until further notice.
https://www.facebook.com/jeffcoopenspace said:
The storm has also closed access to Matthews/Winters Park picnic area, which is about 2 feet underwater in spots and there is no access across the creek at this time to the Village Walk and Village Ride Trail. Lair o' the Bear has damage similar to what we saw from the last downpour, so Bear Creek Trail is currently closed from the lot to Cold Springs because of rushing water and debris. We will update everyone on closures/openings as soon as we can make better assessments.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Holy crap. I'm assuming then that Enchanted Forest is also wasted? What about others?

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Let me just put on my galoshes and hike up there in the pouring, freezing, miserable rain and get you some trail beta, cupcake.
You have your finger on the pulse of Golden riding. You are expected to know these things, cupcake.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've had a bad shoulder for quite a few years now (maybe 10 or 12) due to a torn rotator cuff, and I've also got an AC separation from a crash about 3 years ago.

Anyhoo, about 6 or 7 weeks ago, I was setting out a pack 'n play (play pen thingy for babies) from 1982 and kinda threw my shoulder out of joint. Subluxed apparently. I was really bugging me for the last 5 weeks (or more, actually).

I went to see a physio as soon as I could, and was given the standard rotator cuff exercises for rehab. They weren't really doing anything, and my shoulder would feel like it was out of joint and impiging.

I saw a different physio and she took a different approach and did much more checking of range of motion, checking where I was weak. Turns out I needed to strengthen the lower traps and stretch upper pectorals and little fiddly muscles in my armpit/back/chest. She did this manually.

Next appointment (this am) I had improved, but one part of my range of motion was still tender and felt like it would sublux. She looked at my shoulder blades and determined that I had been compensating so much, for so long, that the muscles around it were so tight that the shoulder blade was rotating out of position.

In order to help release the muscles holding my shoulder together, she jabbed a few needles in to the muscles behind my armpit and had me try the motion again. Much better.

She progressively jabbed the different muscles around the shoulder and checked the motion after each poke.

By then end of it, I could comfortably move through the entire range of motion without any "hanging-up" at all. It was nuts.

Of course, I'm still weak in some key areas, but now I've got some exercises to get the firing sequence of my muscles back in order, and hopefully get my shoulder feeling normal again.

Pretty cool.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
That sounds cool and I may head down that route soon.
Both rotators badly torn for past 20yrs and a lower back injury with muscle tightness similar to what you describe with your shoulders.
Thx for the info.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I've had a bad shoulder for quite a few years now (maybe 10 or 12) due to a torn rotator cuff, and I've also got an AC separation from a crash about 3 years ago.

Anyhoo, about 6 or 7 weeks ago, I was setting out a pack 'n play (play pen thingy for babies) from 1982 and kinda threw my shoulder out of joint. Subluxed apparently. I was really bugging me for the last 5 weeks (or more, actually).

I went to see a physio as soon as I could, and was given the standard rotator cuff exercises for rehab. They weren't really doing anything, and my shoulder would feel like it was out of joint and impiging.

I saw a different physio and she took a different approach and did much more checking of range of motion, checking where I was weak. Turns out I needed to strengthen the lower traps and stretch upper pectorals and little fiddly muscles in my armpit/back/chest. She did this manually.

Next appointment (this am) I had improved, but one part of my range of motion was still tender and felt like it would sublux. She looked at my shoulder blades and determined that I had been compensating so much, for so long, that the muscles around it were so tight that the shoulder blade was rotating out of position.

In order to help release the muscles holding my shoulder together, she jabbed a few needles in to the muscles behind my armpit and had me try the motion again. Much better.

She progressively jabbed the different muscles around the shoulder and checked the motion after each poke.

By then end of it, I could comfortably move through the entire range of motion without any "hanging-up" at all. It was nuts.

Of course, I'm still weak in some key areas, but now I've got some exercises to get the firing sequence of my muscles back in order, and hopefully get my shoulder feeling normal again.

Pretty cool.

Mandown will stick things in you for free.