Quantcast

Tubeless Tires

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Im no pro but I will not run UST on my front tire again. Cost me a helmet when it burped going into a corner (with stans inside) I have a 3 sets of UST tires from Maxxis ( High rollers, Minion F DHR and Swamp things. All super tacky, all UST. I have a Minion F with a tube in front and a high roller in rear right now its adding weight (ust with a DH tube) but I don't want to burp again it hurt

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Im no pro but I will not run UST on my front tire again. Cost me a helmet when it burped going into a corner (with stans inside) I have a 3 sets of UST tires from Maxxis ( High rollers, Minion F DHR and Swamp things. All super tacky, all UST. I have a Minion F with a tube in front and a high roller in rear right now its adding weight (ust with a DH tube) but I don't want to burp again it hurt
Hutchinson Tires FTW. Seriously. OZZER swears by them. I have never seen him flat on any of his race or practice runs. I did hear about him flatting, but that was because he was experimenting with the pressures and ran it too low.

Oh, and he recommends using the Hutchinson sealant too.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
my ride got cut an hour short today b/c of a 1" mid-tread tear w/ no easy way to repair (so i pushed a bike 2 miles on rocky trail). i was running kenda tubeless on a borrowed trek fuel & i weigh just over 200 lbs. as a result, i don't think i'll be running tubeless anytime soon, and certainly not in hostile riding conditions, specifically arizona trails (nothing but rocks).

i left a 20' whore's trail of stans

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
my ride got cut an hour short today b/c of a 1" mid-tread tear w/ no easy way to repair (so i pushed a bike 2 miles on rocky trail). i was running kenda tubeless on a borrowed trek fuel & i weigh just over 200 lbs. as a result, i don't think i'll be running tubeless anytime soon, and certainly not in hostile riding conditions, specifically arizona trails (nothing but rocks).

Buddy, a tear that large would flat a tubed tire pdq as well. Perhaps the tire was too light for your weight and riding conditions and fact that you flatted has nothing to do with running a tubeless tire.

I know some DH riders that run tubeless and some that do not. If one burps air, it's because they aren't running enough air. It's a common error for riders new to tubeless to run too little air pressure. You have to play with it a bit to figure out what you need. UST at a given psi will be softer than an equvalent tubed set up at the same psi. If some one burps a UST at a given softness, had they been using a tubed set up with the same degree of softness at whatever psi that took, they would likely pinch flat.

If someone has a dh tube in a dh casing tire and finds that 25 psi works well, then changes to a single wall non ust tire with a full Stan's type set up, I can guarantee that 25 psi in that setup will be too soft.

Riders on Michelin setups before UST came out were running something refered to as "bib mousse" which I believe was an early tubeless plus sealant application. Vouilloz and others were on it if I recall correctly. The bikes were always whisked away to secret spots to change tires.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
I run small block eight tubeless on mavic 3.1's at 50psi on dirt jumps and 60psi at the bmx track. They roll really fast and get awsome traction, but if you case a jump the side walls blister quite badly.

I've tried tubeless on my xc bike and psuedo dh bike and to me it is just not worth it, I inevitably end up putting tubes in because I end up tearing the sidewalls in rocks.

I think your succes with tubeless depends on riding terrain.

Oh and yes, running below 40 psi with tubeless is asking for them to roll off the rims. I had one roll to the point it got wedged between the rim and chainstay, it was kind of scary railling a 180 berm and all the sudden vvvrrrrpppp and I'm drifting sideways Ricky Bobby style.:shocked:

robert80

Chimp
Oct 6, 2008
the trail...or at work

Carry a tube and some large zip ties. Install tube, tightly wrap zip ties around tire and rim in area of tear, and ride home *carefully*. The zip ties will support the tire in the area of the split so the tube won't bulge through the tire. Not exactly a recommended way to ride, but it will sure beat walking home.