Quantcast

Tubeless Tire suggestions.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
What are your suggestions for general XC stuff. A good all around tire.

speedbump

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Methow Valley, WA
I used to have a set of Michelin Wild Gripper Comp S (the ugly green ones) that I really liked in everything. They were great in the mud, didn't clog and shed like crazy. Now, I've been using Maxxis High Rollers and so far I love them. They roll well and hook up great. I tried a set of Maxxis Larsen TTs for a little bit and they seemed good, but they have so many knobs so close together I might be concerned about their mud performance if you have to ride in it a lot.:)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by speedbump
I used to have a set of Michelin Wild Gripper Comp S (the ugly green ones) that I really liked in everything. They were great in the mud, didn't clog and shed like crazy. Now, I've been using Maxxis High Rollers and so far I love them. They roll well and hook up great. I tried a set of Maxxis Larsen TTs for a little bit and they seemed good, but they have so many knobs so close together I might be concerned about their mud performance if you have to ride in it a lot.:)
I have the Maxxis Larsen TT's and I don't like them and I've barely ridden them IMO they got the tread backwards on them. They are terrible climbing and just spin out. I'll take a look at the High Rollers.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Surly
If you need something with wide spaced knobs, Conti makes a Vertical Pro (I think) in 2.3 thats a great front tire.

Panaracer also makes the Fire XC Pro in a UST design that is good.
I really liked my Fire XC Pro's on my old bike, but people only rate them moderatly.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by stosh
I really liked my Fire XC Pro's on my old bike, but people only rate them moderatly.
who gives a crap about how people rate them? If they worked for you, USE THEM!!!!!!!!!!

I use 'em and I love them to death. I don't see why you'd base your decision on something like that.....:confused:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by sub6
who gives a crap about how people rate them? If they worked for you, USE THEM!!!!!!!!!!

I use 'em and I love them to death. I don't see why you'd base your decision on something like that.....:confused:
No I wasn't saying that. I'm just saying I have tried many other tires so I'm just wondering what about other tires. I actually think I may buy the panaracers. I didn't realise how much Tubeless costs till I just went looking.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
No I wasn't saying that. I'm just saying I have tried many other tires so I'm just wondering what about other tires. I actually think I may buy the panaracers. I didn't realise how much Tubeless costs till I just went looking.
ah, gotcha. Those are my favorite tire, until I decide that they aren't cutting it I'll stick with 'em.

I tried some Hutchinson Mosquito 2.3 USTs last weekend and they felt really good - probably better in soft stuff, they had wide-spaced knobs and really hooked up well. Perhaps that's cuz they were 2.3, but heck. I give them two thumbs up!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
ah, gotcha. Those are my favorite tire, until I decide that they aren't cutting it I'll stick with 'em.

I tried some Hutchinson Mosquito 2.3 USTs last weekend and they felt really good - probably better in soft stuff, they had wide-spaced knobs and really hooked up well. Perhaps that's cuz they were 2.3, but heck. I give them two thumbs up!
My first trek 4500 had the best tires I've ever ridden on it. They were just some cheap'o tires but the front had this arrow looking pattern on it and the rear had huge paddles. They could climb shear rock face and corner like a champ. The didn't release mud to well though.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta

you mean a 2.0.......i'm not sure that they make a 2.3. that tire in a 2.3 would be a MONSTER!!!! oh and the pythons kick ass :p just stick those on there and roll!

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by indieboy
you mean a 2.0.......i'm not sure that they make a 2.3. that tire in a 2.3 would be a MONSTER!!!! oh and the pythons kick ass :p just stick those on there and roll!
Oh yeah, it was a 2.3 and yeah, it was BIG. I rode Wolfspyder's Jamis Dakar XLT for a bit, those come stock on 'em...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Oh yeah, it was a 2.3 and yeah, it was BIG. I rode Wolfspyder's Jamis Dakar XLT for a bit, those come stock on 'em...
on the 2003 Jamis?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I like the Hutchinson Scorpion 2.0. They hook up well and corner well in lots of conditions but the do wear fast.

I got some Maxxis High Roller 2.1's for free (Gee Spot won them at the X games, and I'm the only person she knows the uses UST :D ) and I mounted one up this weekend. I haven't ridden them yet, but the first thing I noticed is that the Hutchinson 2.0 is way wider than the Maxxis 2.1. :confused:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The mosquito is my favorite tire, I use them in both 2.0 and 2.3. I use the airlights with Stans goop. They are meant for soft/slimey conditions but work great in all around, they will wear fast on hard surfaces though.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Echo
I like the Hutchinson Scorpion 2.0. They hook up well and corner well in lots of conditions but the do wear fast.

I got some Maxxis High Roller 2.1's for free (Gee Spot won them at the X games, and I'm the only person she knows the uses UST :D ) and I mounted one up this weekend. I haven't ridden them yet, but the first thing I noticed is that the Hutchinson 2.0 is way wider than the Maxxis 2.1. :confused:
What does UST stand for? I'm figuring it means tubless but how do you get that?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
1. try swapping the rotating directions on your larsen TT's
2. hutchinson pythons are the best tires in the history of the universe.
3. univeral system tubeless

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Capt. Burntout
1. try swapping the rotating directions on your larsen TT's
2. hutchinson pythons are the best tires in the history of the universe.
3. univeral system tubeless
I thought about switching the direction. I thought the shop may have put them on wrong but I looked that the DIRECTION ARROW was correct. I may swap just for the hell of it.

THANKS on the USB thingy.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
I had a python on the rear for a while, and to be honest, it wasn't that great. not tubeless but nonetheless still needs to be improved.

The mosquito is the best tire i have ener ridden (UST), but i put a hole in that and got a UST michelin (ugly green one) for the rear and that seems to be working pretty well. i have th non- UST version of the wildgripper on the front and rear of my second bike, can't say that i would really recomend the wg for a front tire.

BTW, if you do get the wg, the tread pattern is opposite of the front.

Will_Jekyll

CUSTOM Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Superior,CO
My first trek 4500 had the best tires I've ever ridden on it. They were just some cheap'o tires but the front had this arrow looking pattern on it and the rear had huge paddles. They could climb shear rock face and corner like a champ. The didn't release mud to well though.
Sounds like panaracer dart, smoke knock off. They used to be all I would ride 10 years ago but I haven't been able to find them in a long time. I ride mosquiot air lights now and love them.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Definitely turn that back Larsen TT around...I've got the same tires, and that made a big difference.

Scorpions are great when new, but they sure go downhill fast. If they were free, I'd use them all the time on an XC bike.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Originally posted by Will_Jekyll
Sounds like panaracer dart, smoke knock off. They used to be all I would ride 10 years ago but I haven't been able to find them in a long time. I ride mosquiot air lights now and love them.
actually they were probally bontrager jones tires. i still have about 25 sets of them in the basement...